Where can I get a piston ring for an old Stihl 020 AVP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremy clarkson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was putting the head on the piston and one of the rings snapped!

The saw is a Stihl 020 AVP professional I think from the 70s.

Can I get a piston ring for this saw at a Stihl dealer?

Do you think there are modern Saws that have the same sized/shaped rings.

Does the Stihl 020 AV (not AVP) have the same sized rings?

Stihl still has parts for a lot of the older saws, especially consumables like rings. Find a good dealer and ask them. Alternately, if you're changing rings, replace the whole piston with a kit from Baileys (if they stock ones for that saw). Meteor pistons are nice, if available.

If you have the 38mm piston your only option AFIK is used or NOS OEM parts. I have asked two stihl dealers and they both say NLA. I researched quite a bit and could not find an aftermarket source either.

It seems odd for a saw that they built so many of, but sadly it seems true. AVP or AV it makes no difference. The AVS (super) had a 40mm bore and pistons and rings are readily available for it both from Stihl and the aftermarket.

If it is the old 020 and has a 38mm piston, then the rings to fit an 009 and 015 will work 1114-034-3000

That is a good bit of info. I guess you'd just need two instead of one? Upon further inspection, that is the same part# listed in the 020 IPL. Do you know for sure that part is still available? I checked with my local dealer who is usually pretty good and he said NLA.

That is a good bit of info. I guess you'd just need two instead of one? Upon further inspection, that is the same part# listed in the 020 IPL. Do you know for sure that part is still available? I checked with my local dealer who is usually pretty good and he said NLA.

What does NLA mean?

I don't have a current price list, but it was available in 2009.
They sold the 009 after the year 2000 or so, so I would assume the
rings would still be available.

Still listed on the UK 2010 price list, not necessarily relevant to the US though. Also it is not listed in my 2010-10 identification list for parts, which usually will give the date for the part to be NLA from factory, if it is in the forseeable future. In other words it should be still available.
However, in the US I understand some distributors have parts others don't and they won't order from each other etc...

Latest posts

Back