Where did all the loggers go?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to remember that axmen was a tv show and had to build up the drama a bit to keep it interesting. All the feuds between the loggers, etc, equipment failures, and the like were to keep you watching the show.
For years I got "Loggers World" newspaper each month. I remember the article where they interviewed Jay Browning and he discussed how he hated the way the show portrayed his son as an idiot. I understand it was all about drama just like all other fake reality shows. I pretty much stopped watching after they followed Jimmy Smith all the way to his death. It would not surprise me if he (Jimmy) allowed it because he needed the money but nonetheless is was not right.

I think a lot of the best guys got old on us. long intense stare... then stopped popping in when they found other interests such as boats... more intense staring...
A few stop in now and again, but its been pretty quiet for awhile now.
That and the more mechanization is putting folks out of touch with the woods, timber fallers, and rigging rats are a dying breed. I've cut with all sorts of folks over the last few years, only one of the guys I've worked closely with I felt comfortable working around, sadly he's going through some intense personal issues and will probably find his way into some other career. The rest can cut, but they can't think, they only do what they were told 10-15 years ago, which isn't necessarily correct for today or for every situation.
Quit staring, it's not polite. But I see what you mean. By the way you and Ron are exempt from my little rant. Couple of others too. They know who they are.
Still got the damn boat. It's just like logging, money comes in, money goes out, you spend most of the day cold and wet with your ass higher than your elbows.

For years I got "Loggers World" newspaper each month. I remember the article where they interviewed Jay Browning and he discussed how he hated the way the show portrayed his son as an idiot. I understand it was all about drama just like all other fake reality shows. I pretty much stopped watching after they followed Jimmy Smith all the way to his death. It would not surprise me if he (Jimmy) allowed it because he needed the money but nonetheless is was not right.
Deadliest Catch and the Phill Harris death wasn't any different!👎 Reality TV capitalizing on someone's death! Thats the reality of it! Noth'n but a bunch of greedy Pukes in on it for the ratings! Pretty sad if you ask me!

Quit staring, it's not polite. But I see what you mean. By the way you and Ron are exempt from my little rant. Couple of others too. They know who they are.
Still got the damn boat. It's just like logging, money comes in, money goes out, you spend most of the day cold and wet with your ass higher than your elbows.
wise ass once said... Just a hole in the water you pour money into

Deadliest Catch and the Phill Harris death wasn't any different!👎 Reality TV capitalizing on someone's death! Thats the reality of it! Noth'n but a bunch of greedy Pukes in on it for the ratings! Pretty sad if you ask me!
I will never dispute that at all. In all honesty that is about the time I stopped watching that show also. I cannot see the point of following a man/woman dying just for ratings and advertiser dollars. Yes it is sad. I no longer have any type of satellite TV so I do not see the shows much. We have a free over air channel here called "Quest" that shows some of the old episodes but that is it

No guitar player has shown up.
We need one.

This post is about as relevent as others, says my cynical brain.

Oncie in a while, and empty log truck goes by my house. They live in the area. I sometimes see a couple loads of peckerpoles heading over The Loup to da Nort Cascades highway to a mill that is far away. That road will be closing soon. The Nort Cascades closes in the winter because it has a zillion avalanche chutes along it. No place to dawdle in the winter--some serious topography in them mountains.

No guitar player has shown up.
We need one.

This post is about as relevent as others, says my cynical brain.

Oncie in a while, and empty log truck goes by my house. They live in the area. I sometimes see a couple loads of peckerpoles heading over The Loup to da Nort Cascades highway to a mill that is far away. That road will be closing soon. The Nort Cascades closes in the winter because it has a zillion avalanche chutes along it. No place to dawdle in the winter--some serious topography in them mountains.
... looks around at all the non guitar players, she talking to you guys?...
Not sure I can make it over there for yer thang, as hilarious as it would be, my amps would probably deafen half the county...

... looks around at all the non guitar players, she talking to you guys?...
Not sure I can make it over there for yer thang, as hilarious as it would be, my amps would probably deafen half the county...
We are becoming locally known as a few people who are able to put out the big sound of a lot of people. I feel deafened after rehearsals.

The Pass will be closed anyway, unless there is a two month long pineapple express, and we don't want that to happen.

We are becoming locally known as a few people who are able to put out the big sound of a lot of people. I feel deafened after rehearsals.

The Pass will be closed anyway, unless there is a two month long pineapple express, and we don't want that to happen.

It would likely be quicker to take stevens for me anyway, Unless Loup Loup is all messed up then yah, for sure thats a write off lol.

I dunno if I’m on of the ones you’re staring it, Bob, but I haven’t seriously put a tree on the ground in a while. Much less skid it and process it. Turns out there are much better things to do than log. Especially with knowledge of heavy rigging. Even then I was more in fire and building forest roads than anything else.

I’m balls deep in an $180M interstate highway and bridge job right now as the point man, and quite frankly don’t have much time, or knowledge to contribute at the moment. I agree it is quiet in here when I log in, though.

It doesn’t help that I get mad when I log in and there are so many posts about chainsaw specific questions when there’s a specific forum here for that. What really gets me boiling is when someone posts about tipping trees with such piss poor understanding of what’s going on they’re giving bad advice. People come on here for good advice, and some of what gets posted here will get someone here hurt in a hurry. I don’t have enough time to call out, much less correct it all sometimes.

Back