where do I get this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregz

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A guy is selling ported ms460 mufflers on fleabay. This looks like a easy port job but I would like to know where he got the bolt on parts..any idea what it is from link and photo attached
b58a_1.jpg

link
http://cgi.ebay.com/046-460-Stihl-P...ptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Last edited:
Those are standard(for stihl) t-27 torx head bolts. The stainless screen can be had at most hardware stores and the metal flange on top of the screen was probably cut to fit then both the muffler housing and flange were drilled and tapped to the correct thread pattern. You can use a dremmel to cut the port in the housing. This setup should not be that hard to duplicate for most people handy with tools.

That's a very ambitious price he has going there...as if any one of us couldn't do the same thing to our mufflers for about $14...[/QUOT

That sounds about right unless you foul up your first attempt, then you have to factor in the cost of a new muffler housing.:hmm3grin2orange:

I swear, I wouldn't know anything about that.

Hey, there are multiple photos there. One on Ebay, and on in your hands. Different setups.

You have to be careful when bolting or screwing side vents onto muffler housings; they are thin. To do it right you need to build up the metal to thread the bolts into something more than just the muffler casing, or they will not stay put for long. Or use a lockwasher and nut to secure the bolt inside of the muffler. At any rate, I think that bolted muffler port jobs are going to fail over time. Welded or soldered ones are better. For the price, I would think that one of Wojo's Ebay welded dual port Stihl mufflers would be cheaper and better.

I bought a square foot of muffler screen from a Stihl shop in central Oregon about a year ago. It was fairly expensive stuff. You can get thin steel for making muffler parts pretty easy at a hardware store. The torx bolts are spendy if you get them from Stihl; I buy them used in set on Ebay.

windthrown said:
At any rate, I think that bolted muffler port jobs are going to fail over time.

It sure will...and no matter how much spark arresting screen that thing has in it, it's still not legal to use on state and federal lands here. There is absolutely no modifications allowed here on any mufflers used in the woods, period.

A muffler thats opened up that much will have nags . Idle quality will suck with uncontrolable run on in addition to poor spool up. Mixture adjustment of the needles will not cure it & there is no way to adjust the main jet short of replacement with a larger one. If you increase the exit size more than the addition of the factory DP cover you will have to check & adjust the pop off pressure at the carb for 19-20 psi or it will not deliver enough fuel. Heres a pic of my 440 muffler & one of the 036. Both required pop off pressure mods from where they had been stomped down . In the case of the 036 had to make & install restrictors even though the pop pressure was modifyed. Probably could go a bit larger but thats where it stands now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back