Where do you begin?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spotted Owl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Where do you begin with something like this?

***************************************************************************************************

I live in dense forest and I have 150 acres of woodlot. I could easily produce enough wood for a dozen families. But I dont. It is mostly wildlife habitat.

We buy our firewood.

There are people here who sell firewood as their only source of income. They have machines to cut trees and process them into firewood. They have trucks that haul 3 to 5 cords of firewood at a time. When someone can produce and deliver 5 cords every day, that economy of scale changes things for every one else.

We buy our firewood and it is the cheapest way for us to heat our home.

Our woodstove does not get hurt by creosote fires. We have them once or twice every year. Our house and stove are up to code, which makes a HUGE difference.

The difference between green wood and seasoned wood is tiny. The primary difference is the difficulty in getting it to burn. We burn both. If you want to expend the energy and time to dry your wood, go for it, have a ball. Otherwise, ehh. Whatever makes you happy.

Building a house that is up to code, is a huge difference. Never allow any combustible material within 3 foot of the hot components. Houses burn every year because some fool violated the code. Never allow a carpenter to put wood framing or struts, within 3 foot of the stovepipe or chimney.

Comply with building and fire codes, do what is legal and you will be fine.
smile.gif

***********************************************************************************************

I know pick a spot and start there. But. Which spot do you pick here. This is advise given to a new burner, trying to figure things out.

Holy balls.

Owl

where did you come across that????? in another forum? thats spoken like a true know-it-all oblivious to the world around them. i would first try to set the person straight that was ment to help in the first place. make sure they know that the previous was a load of smoke. this sounds like the kind of advice that comes from the wealthy fireplace burner kind of people that ive encountered on h**rth forum

I come across that on another site. I certainly hope people here don't think it was me saying that stuff. One bad fire would give me the heebee jeebees. Probably why I get the pipe cleaned by pros and I don't hack at it myself. All I could ask so far is if he was serious.

Owl

If that was free advise someone owes you some money..lol..what a load of crap

think his clearance recommendations are spot on? I mean every install should have at least a 6'x 6' chimney chase through their house with no fire stops between floors because that would require something near the chimney, and certainly no roof around the chimney, what a fire hazard that would be:dizzy:

I read some of the thread on the other site. You can't fix stupid, I've tried. I would recommend to the OP that he/she read the owners manual for their stove. I'm sure it covers some of the basics that the "knucklehead" that replied is very misinformed about.

Idiots, they walk among use. Love his explanation hot wet or dry wood releases the same heat is pretty hilarious as well. Life's hard, it's harder when your stupid. Unfortunately he is going to put his wife and kids out of a home at least one of these days at minimum, but there is a possible he will kill one.

Thank you for that link.

I would state the facts as I saw them specifically related to burning wood then stay out of the rest of the thread unless asked by the new burner for additional input. Intelligence recognizes intelligence. Lemmings instinctively follow their kind, too.

That one post is a bit strange. There are plenty of intelligent counter arguments but I think it would become a long, drawn out effort to get the poster to concede your points. It is correct that a house not incorporating proper clearances is at greater risk of fire however the challenge is in showing that chimney fires should not be considered a normal and expected part of stove operation. I'd probably try to use that poster's attitude toward fires to demonstrate to the OP that a healthy level of fear is best for safer operation of the stove while complacency is what leads to problems.

The people I know who do not burn wood for heat are loggers. They'll have some for emergencies, but they use electric heat to heat their house. I think they get enough work with saws and machinery and want to use their spare time doing something else.

So I figured you might be one of them, Owl but then you went on about chimney fires and green wood???

Good one.

Back