Where is bar oil tank air vent hole on Husqvarna 440...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkim13

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My Husqvarna 440 all of a sudden is not enough oiling the bar cause the bar is getting very hot.
I have disassembled it and checked the pump and it's gearing, all is well, visually. Blew out the oiler tube and slot, ensuring no debris in the oil port.
Testing without the bar and chain on, it does pump some oil out of the oiler-slot-tube. It is not enough to supply the oil to the bar.
I assumed at this point that the oil tank vent hole is plugged.
Is it the vent hole in the picture?
Thanks in advance.

1_LI.jpg

https://www.partstree.com/models/440-e-husqvarna-chainsaw-2008-05/crankcase-chainbrake-handle-4/ number 7 and 8 according to diagram, but looks like what you are pointing at in pic. But I don't see the screen in your pic which would retain the duck bill valve.
Hows the oil pickup screen inside the tank looking?
Thank you for replying.
I never saw the duckbill valve and screen on 440.
Do I have to disassemble the crankcase to access the duckbill valve with screen?
The oil screen in the tank is clean.
Thank you again.
6.jpg

In your first pic, circled in white, is where the duckbill and bronze filters go in. Duckbill inserted angle end first then the bronze plug to hold the valve in.

Yes, to replace/remove and clean screen you must remove the rear handle/tank assembly. Most likely just remove the rear anti-vibe mount screws, loosen the front 2 and tip it up to get the bar oil screen out.

Thank you for replying.
I never saw the duckbill valve and screen on 440.
Do I have to disassemble the crankcase to access the duckbill valve with screen?
The oil screen in the tank is clean.
Thank you again.
View attachment 951428
No you don't disassemble the crank case. I believe yours is missing it, is what I am getting at. The first pic you showed is where the diagram that I put up shows it going. The bronze screen should be right there and the duck bill valve behind it, see if you can take a light and see the valve still in there (probably fell out) if not gently place a wire in there and see if it goes all the way into the oil tank, if so you need the valve and the bronze screen.

My Husqvarna 440 all of a sudden is not enough oiling the bar cause the bar is getting very hot.
I have disassembled it and checked the pump and it's gearing, all is well, visually. Blew out the oiler tube and slot, ensuring no debris in the oil port.
Testing without the bar and chain on, it does pump some oil out of the oiler-slot-tube. It is not enough to supply the oil to the bar.
I assumed at this point that the oil tank vent hole is plugged.
Is it the vent hole in the picture?
Thanks in advance.

View attachment 951419
1) Do you practice cleaning around fill plug w/ brush before refilling oil tank? Sawdust/ chips in tank can be clogging; 2) Have you checked the pump hose and pickup screen INSIDE the Oil Tank?

Personally, I would remove the screen and clean out the entire bar oil path with brake cleaner then compressed air. May have some junk in the flow path.

Put it all back together and see if it oils properly. If not, order up new oil pump parts.

https://www.partstree.com/models/440-e-husqvarna-chainsaw-2009-02/clutch-oil-pump-5/

No you don't disassemble the crank case. I believe yours is missing it, is what I am getting at. The first pic you showed is where the diagram that I put up shows it going. The bronze screen should be right there and the duck bill valve behind it, see if you can take a light and see the valve still in there (probably fell out) if not gently place a wire in there and see if it goes all the way into the oil tank, if so you need the valve and the bronze screen.
It is strange on the oiler.
Once I pour the oil in the reservoir, the oil comes out from the rubber channel on the opposite side without running the chainsaw.
Apparently, the oil passage is fine.
However, the oil doesn't come out when the chainsaw runs even through the replaced new oil pump.
Also, I checked with my neighbor's 440 chainsaw that the particular model doesn't have duckbill and plug at the spot in the first picture I uploaded.
Any advice?

What shape is the worm gear in?
https://www.partstree.com/parts/husqvarna-544212401/What are you meaning the oil is coming out on the opposite side? is the oil hose in good shape? looking at the pic if the hose was worn it would allow the oil to leak where the piston pump goes through it, but I'm not familiar with that saw.

Ok, closets saw I got is a 350. Very similar setup. Try this setup I got going on here. DO NOT INSTALL THE CHAIN!!! I used some 1/4" washers to take up the stud slack. Pay attention where I have the black zip tie located... that is the hole in the bar for oil to pass through and lube the chain.

Put bar oil in saw, start and run it up to some rpm to get the clutch drum spinning. About 1/4-1/2 throttle should work. Look in the bar slot with a flashlight where that hole is to see if oil is pumping out. Also, run saw with bar tip pointing down towards the ground and see if bar oil runs from the sprocket tip. Bar must be tight just like the clutch cover is on. This seals the inner bar plate to the rubber parts of the oil channel.

Attachments

• oil hole #1.jpg
    oil hole #1.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 5
  • oil hole #2.jpg
    oil hole #2.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 5
  • bar stud 1.jpg
    bar stud 1.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 5
  • bar stud 3.jpg
    bar stud 3.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 5
  • bar stud 2.jpg
    bar stud 2.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 5
Ok, closets saw I got is a 350. Very similar setup. Try this setup I got going on here. DO NOT INSTALL THE CHAIN!!! I used some 1/4" washers to take up the stud slack. Pay attention where I have the black zip tie located... that is the hole in the bar for oil to pass through and lube the chain.

Put bar oil in saw, start and run it up to some rpm to get the clutch drum spinning. About 1/4-1/2 throttle should work. Look in the bar slot with a flashlight where that hole is to see if oil is pumping out. Also, run saw with bar tip pointing down towards the ground and see if bar oil runs from the sprocket tip. Bar must be tight just like the clutch cover is on. This seals the inner bar plate to the rubber parts of the oil channel.
You made the extra effort for that Post. Some one should design an "ATTA BOY AWARD" for YA

It is strange on the oiler.
Once I pour the oil in the reservoir, the oil comes out from the rubber channel on the opposite side without running the chainsaw.
Apparently, the oil passage is fine.
However, the oil doesn't come out when the chainsaw runs even through the replaced new oil pump.
Also, I checked with my neighbor's 440 chainsaw that the particular model doesn't have duckbill and plug at the spot in the first picture I uploaded.
Any advice?
The oil line from the tank, is cracked. Replace it. Oil flows freely thru the broken hose, and doesn't oil the chain because it never gets pumped. Simple answer to simple question.

And by the way, the zip does not stay in the hole. Just used it for as pointy stick/reference point. LOL
I have also "tweaked" bar on two of my chainsaws....Just calculate area where bar is moving over that "oil delivery" area (where that rubber oil pick up point/passage is) and drill 1-2 additional pickup holes in your bar...

The oil line from the tank, is cracked. Replace it. Oil flows freely thru the broken hose, and doesn't oil the chain because it never gets pumped. Simple answer to simple question.
Thanks a million.
The bar oil is not coming out from the oil pressure line hose.
33.jpg34.jpg
I suspect the oil pressure rubber hose is bad and has been ordered.
Will update once replaced it.
Thank you again to all of you
John
Here is the oil pump and worm gear.
I24.jpg
What shape is the worm gear in?
https://www.partstree.com/parts/husqvarna-544212401/What are you meaning the oil is coming out on the opposite side? is the oil hose in good shape? looking at the pic if the hose was worn it would allow the oil to leak where the piston pump goes through it, but I'm not familiar with that saw.

Latest posts

Back