Where to find 1/4" sprocket for Dolmar PS401?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyM

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a customer who wants to start using a PS401 for carving. We have had some discussions about me sponsoring him and him helping me with advertising, so it is sounding like a good thing. Problem is, I need to find a sprocket for the PS401 in 1/4" pitch. Dolmar, Windsor, Oregon, GB, Carlton, Herr, none of them have a 1/4" sprocket for that saw. Short of building one myself or modifying one or more standards to get what I need, (and I will do that if it comes down to it), can anyone suggest where to find or ask about this sprocket. Any carving forums out there that would be a good place to look. If you can't link to them (because of forum rules), just send me a PM.

Find a rim sprocket that works and if it's a small rim there are 1/4 rims available. Baileys stocks the rims.

If Dolmar (Makita) never supplied this saw with 1/4" chain, no one will offer a 1/4" sprocket for it. It should be possible to match the critical dimensions ( cup I.D., cup depth, bearing length & I.D., total axial length) to some other saw's 1/4" spur sprocket or, better yet a sprocket with splined hub for a rim sprocket of whatever pitch. If you can post these dimensions, I will look at my sprocket collection and see if I have anything that might work

there is dealer near me that has some sprokets that will fit the 401 they are the spur type.

Ohio Hunter, are they 1/4" pitch. I can get the 3/8 and .325 spurs, but not 1/4" or any center drive types. The PS401 uses a drum with an integral needle bearing. I will post dimensions on Monday. I can sleeve or bore the hole to make it fit the crank and find a bearing, if we can find something with the right drum size, preferable with a center drive so I can modify it once and be done. I've considered buying a standard spur, and machining the spur into a spline to accept 1/4" rim sprockets. That will likely be the route I take, unless we can find something standard to work.

Its a local dolmar dealer and he set up some 401s and some 34s for a carver i think he has some 1/4 spurs for the 401 ill see him tonight if he has one should i get it?

Thank you Ohio Hunter for your lead. Turns out that L.W. Meyer, my Dolmar Distributor, has a source for them as well. I have two on the way.

Latest posts

Back