Where to find books on Chain Saw Milling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kieta13

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Howdy again folks!

Well with the fine help that I received on my first ever posted message on this forum, I am planning on jumping onboard in this new hobby.

Since I will be limiting the size of the dry pine logs that I will be milling to 20", this is what I plan on buying in the next few days:
- Husky-570, 28"
- Alaskan Mark III, 30"

Last chance for ya'll to tell me yes or no! <grin>

What I need to find out now is a source for good books on Chain Saw Milling.
Is there any 'free' stuff that you can recommend?
How about good books to buy? Is there a web site that has some?

Thanks ahead of time fellas!

kieta13 said:
Since I will be limiting the size of the dry pine logs that I will be milling to 20", this is what I plan on buying in the next few days:
- Husky-570, 28"
- Alaskan Mark III, 30"

Last chance for ya'll to tell me yes or no! <grin>
Only thing I would tweak above was spend the extra few bucks for the full 36 inch instead of the 30. You can easily mount a smaller bar on the larger mill, they are downwards adjustable, but not the other way around. Remember you lose 5-6 inches when you mount that bar, so your 28" mill will actually only cut maximum 22 inches. You KNOW there will be a day when you run into a 24 or 26 inch log and you will wish you spent that little bit more.

As for milling books... they are kinda scarce, but some books have chapters about milling wood. I know that ARE some dedicated to chainsaw milling out there, just don't know off hand. Others will chime in concerning that maybe.

woodshop said:
Only thing I would tweak above was spend the extra few bucks for the full 36 inch instead of the 30. You can easily mount a smaller bar on the larger mill, they are downwards adjustable, but not the other way around. Remember you lose 5-6 inches when you mount that bar, so your 28" mill will actually only cut maximum 22 inches. You KNOW there will be a day when you run into a 24 or 26 inch log and you will wish you spent that little bit more.

As for milling books... they are kinda scarce, but some books have chapters about milling wood. I know that ARE some dedicated to chainsaw milling out there, just don't know off hand. Others will chime in concerning that maybe.

Listen to Woodshop.

Mark

Welcome to milling, you'll really enjoy it.
I think once you get all your gear in place and slab that first pine log you will get the hang of it. The rest is learning about the various woods that you will be milling.

I don't know how much you want to spend. The 575 has more horses and more cc for the same weight of saw. I think the 575 is about 60 dollars more. There is a learning curve to milling so don't get flustrated is your first cut turn out like cr*p. I also have to tell myself to slow down. I get in a hurry to much and thats when I start screwing up.

bookerdog said:
I don't know how much you want to spend. The 575 has more horses and more cc for the same weight of saw. I think the 575 is about 60 dollars more. There is a learning curve to milling so don't get flustrated is your first cut turn out like cr*p. I also have to tell myself to slow down. I get in a hurry to much and thats when I start screwing up.

listen. Get the bigger saw. You need it when milling. Really. My firewood saw is tiny. I've already modified my 7.1HP saw to get just a little more.

As for books on chainsaw milling, the "bible" that people talk about is chainsaw lumbermaking by Gary Malloff ( I think that's right). It is no longer in print, and you'll be lucky to find someone who is willing to part with their copy (good condition--not torn, etc.) for less than $100. I've tried to find a copy myself.

aquan8tor said:
As for books on chainsaw milling, the "bible" that people talk about is chainsaw lumbermaking by Gary Malloff ( I think that's right). It is no longer in print, and you'll be lucky to find someone who is willing to part with their copy (good condition--not torn, etc.) for less than $100. I've tried to find a copy myself.

The author of the book is Will Malloff, isbn 0918804124. I guess I got lucky as I found mine in excellent shape for much cheaper than $100. Amazon currently has them starting at $67. It's is a great book for the beginner but a bit dated on a few things like ripping chain and saw choices.

Back