Wheres all the old Schoolers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TC's true identity...

troll.jpg

In view of the phrase "gear is great" this non-pro will add some history relative "knowing it all when mid-20's".

When 28 (1974) , normal day job was at an aerospace desk and moonlighted clearing a road with my old D2 cat. Had pulled hundreds of 20" plus alder down and 20 or so 24" and larger fir - D2 not big enough to push out the root balls - set a 3/4 wire rope choker at about 30 ft up and pulled'em over with pulley and 200 ft cable. All well and good, now I'm a smart young guy, etc., experienced, etc.........
So, D2 clutch went, had to remove FOPs to get to clutch. Big snowstorm New years '73, a few alders leaning toward my own house. Hadn't 'had time' to put FOPs back on, but hey, this smart ass kid knows what's up, old school and all and have pulled 70-80 trees over (wait make that 10,000) ..... - anyway, woke up a few days later and 37 separate skull fractures, but survived.

Recently had to drop a couple of 150ft plus cottonwood in Renton WA backyard that were posing a threat to grandkids play area - found this site and got great advice on rigging, backcuts, correct to take them down, etc. , -- non of the 'old school guesses' from you pros. Am even such a chicken wutz now (DW saw me get hit 30 years ago and insists) that cables even got tensioned from 170 feet away with remote control winch on 6 total 5/8 cables - no risk for this "old school till hurt bad" 'boy'.
Oh, yeah, even wutz enough also that DW wanted 'no climbing', so 70 ft high cable set by string over crotch with bow and arrow, followed by 1/8 WR which could pull the 5/8 wire rope.

i dont think ive seen an old schooler on here yet,other than tree companys popa

Originally posted by TreeCo
I was working with shorts on the other day and putting my chaps on over my shorts.

It sure looked gay!....and I wasn't about to bend over:)

Dan

:laugh:

That woulda made for a GREAT pic for the Tree Huggers thread!

Sore knee or hurt back? I kneel on one knee on big cuts and lean back. Keep those lumbar together!

And lopa if you saw me low-tech climb you may call me old school.

Originally posted by aussie_lopa
i dont think ive seen an old schooler on here yet,other than tree companys popa

Really? I came from the old school. All that old schooling sure comes in handy when you get on a different truck or crew or left some things at home or shop. A balance of old school and new I believe is what makes me efficient and quick.

actually i forgot about you john,:) i loved that thread were you asked murph if he had your phone no!i think that old schoolers,the hard core which i think you maybe(i havnt met you)are twice as quik than a very good new school.just with reading the tree sort of thing.

Originally posted by Guy Meilleur
Sore knee or hurt back? I kneel on one knee on big cuts and lean back. Keep those lumbar together!

And lopa if you saw me low-tech climb you may call me old school.

guy it would be good to see you in action old school,but you might change my ways to much,i think if you saw my climbing kit you would have a heart attack.i might even buy a macro adj soon :rolleyes:

there would be plenty of old schoolers on here,i bet if some crisp greenbacks were on offer thered be plenty of old spurs being strapped on,there out there :cool:even guy would be up there letting it rip if the bugs bunny was right there:laugh:

I'll vouch for Big Jon's proficiency at old school..
We took down a pair of fairly big sweet gums and I only had the monster sling to block down the wood, so Jon proceeded to notch the trunk to set the lowering line... He was quick....

I asked him if he was punishing me for forgetting the small sling, by beatring up on my rope....

He replied "this isn't a rope"... He was right;)

ill bet he did that job in no time,we had a little bit of payback this week did 2 resonable jobs today,told the guys that the last job which we started at 2.30 was 2 trees when it was 6:laugh: we use speed lines to pay each other back:p

TC - Something to think about. When a man stops learning , he knows everything,(up to that point). If he continues his quest for knowledge, he'll soon find out that the more he learns...the less he realy knows! Only a fool stops learning. :jester: Now I'm not the most experienced climber in the world but in this forum, you have a lot of experienced climbers from around the world. Even after you insulted many of them, they still are offering you their help. Do whats best for the trees you climb. Good luck in your quest for greater knowledge. ;)

Originally posted by TreeCo
I was working with shorts on the other day and putting my chaps on over my shorts.

It sure looked gay!....and I wasn't about to bend over:)

Dan

mmmmmmmm carmen electra in a thong and chaps.
how much would you pay to have that as a grounds person.

And people ask me why I am in favor of manditory certifaction with industry follow ups on these guys and companies!
These are the guys that make it bad on all of us
Tree Company you are going to bite off more than you can chew with these cowboy tatics
I say this with great concern for you and your Dad
Oh buy the way I know just about every company also in the GTA
Care to throw a name of your Dad or company out here and I will put some input in to this if the industry around here knows and respects you guys!
Be Safe
John

Sorry if I copied some of you canucks on your replies
This dude got me ticked about 3 comments in and I broke the cardinal rule of jumpin in before I read them all!
John
P.S
Hey Matt glad your back

"what happened?":confused:

It is about time for him to show up again, isn't it. Wonder what name he has cooked up to use this time?? Even better is what are some of the tall tales he is going to be telling us about Super Dad climber and his side kick Wonder Worker ground man.

Larry

Latest posts

Back