Wheres all the old Schoolers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shall I take a bow, craig ?? Never have I been called such a flattering name!!

Hey TC, think your daddy'd lower trunk wood on this li'l specimen... with only a (manila?) rope.

Originally posted by Trees Company
I've done hundred of trees through decks over million dollar homes...

Thats amazing! Especially at such a tender age! I was only into my 4th year when I was your age. And even now, I've done maybe 3 or 4 removals thru decks.
Maybe you have more decks up there, eh?

So how did your difficult TD go today? :)

Ahh, but a million dollar home in the great white north is like, what, 79.95 in green backs..:blob2:

Well, pre 2003 USD crash anyhoo....

And I've been climbing 30 years and doubt if I've done more than 20 trees in decks....and two growing through a house.

Anybuddy lookin' fer a trollin' motor???

During a learning curve, time for some extras can seem dis-pro-portionate; once these strategies are polished, ready to load; know when to use'em; they are good habits i believe; and osme of the time thing can turn around. Especially when you take aim to do them consistantly quicker by virtue of their constant apllication and practice. Proper rope care etc. is older school than our tree strategies, used for centuries on ships with pulleys, bollards etc. We have grown to listen more to the manufacturers and testers of these lines we depend on.

Where are all the old Schoolers?

They learned the olde school rhyme:

There are olde climbers;
and there are bold climbers..........

MB how come your hung up on lanyard? Maybe if you show him yours he'll show you his:D Anyway as you all know I don't see my lanyard as the most usefull tool on the saddle. I have one it's nice homade fly with a hard to find easy to use bulldog snap yall got to get one with a grigi for my long lanyard for larg removals and the same for small but I use friction hitch and pulley. This guy may not use a lanyard. I know my dad came from the old school and he didn't have a lanyard the saddle was a two D ring saddle no place for the lanyard. When I started climbing he called mine a chicken strap. I took this abuse and used my "chicken strap". It has its place if you need it fine.

As JP offered I too am up for some weekend climbing with any of you out there who aren't too far me unless your paying airfair and pick me up at the airport.

I gotta thing for lanyards.
aaf_shifty.gif

Out here, the term for a lineman's belted lanyard is "scare strap".

For the first couple years I climbed, it was all I had, if I recall. Talk about awkward..due to the slow procedure for adjustment.

12.gif

Ok I know a lot of real climbers around the GTA and yes there still are the two bit operators with a saw and a rope, the old unionized city fellas who work a few ours a day for a full days pay and cash in on side work, many borrow the city's equipment overnight or they use their 011 cheapo saw with 10W30 for the bar. Worked fer Toronto municipality eh? Yeah we know how progressive Toronto works are with techniques and equipment.

Hey TC why don’t you PM me with your number and I’ll give you a call, I’m sure you have some great stories.

Silver Blue

I was waiting for you to jump in here before I did...

I think I may have heard of these guys... not sure though the name sounds like a 'company' name in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area for those of you unfimiliar with our affectionate tern for the Big Smoke) I've heard above before. (you know the 8/11 poster stapled to the telephone pole company)

TC your funny... I'm sure lot's of guys around the GTA would love to head to head with you and your dad, I don't think I've seen you out at any of the climbing comps (not that I am saying these fun days are where a climber is crowned).

Oh and with regards to gear, just to add fuel to the proverbial fire in terms of technology, do you pull your chipper with a horse!

Wow, I just got heated!!

Hey don't start in on the horses. I'd love to bring my horse out help hall some chunks out of a back yard. I know there some new machines out there that could do the work. I think it would be quite a novalty to bring a horse out to a job. I am sure the people where I work would hire us just to see it. Maybe I am wrong cause I'm a horse lover.

Sorry I couldn't resist the comment.

I'm a big proponent of horse logging becuse of its low impact etc. And yeah growing up on a farm..., horses are cool, I'm sure they could be a great asset in a big back yard removal with no CRANE access to pull things over the house (sorry couln't resist there either...)

Thats OK I too know what you mean. I find it hard resist as well at times. I think I am getting better at it. The president of Penn Del chapter of the ISA hasn't called the office about me in quite some time.

Add me to the whole Toronto crowd, would love to test my skills against the DAD and SON team.
I did 3 years worken contract For Toronto Hydro, trimming and removing some of the scariest trees around. As far as I am concerned, if you want to test your tecnical skills in removing a tree, Toronto back yards with 3 phases of 13.8 kv, plus underbuild, running under you [not to mention all the other obsticles in a back yard] is where its at.
If DAD and son are up to learning something, [and paying my wage] I can show them how a job is done with proper tools.

Originally posted by SilverBlue

Hey TC why don’t you PM me with your number and I’ll give you a call, I’m sure you have some great stories.

Offer him a job so he can learn to climb sans-hooks.

You'll be doing the trees a favor.

Not that he would accept....

Wow what a thread! 7 pages of rip roaring fun. Been away from here a few days grinding and come back to see someone arguing against cranes and modern technique. :confused: Makes me feel almost modern. I have done the rigging with rope and bull line thing and the heavy lifting and all that fun. Now its buckets and cranes and brush trucks with grapple to move stuff. First time I used brush truck back in '85 to load a truck I thought I was in heaven. Using a crane to take out 80' of tree in 5 cuts is the way to go. Of course some jobs still require some of those old-school technique but the new stuff does make life and job easier. Just ask my back and knees.;)

Back