Which $200-$300 splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emt1581

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I need a better splitter than the hand crank one I have. It seems like all the big places (HF, Northern Tool, Tractor Supply, etc.) all have a $250 option. Then some have $300 and $350 options to.

I'll be processing around 4-6 cords of wood per year, doing about 1/4-1/2 cord per session (I'm guessing). Just spent $500 on a saw. So one of these $200-$300-ish splitters is what's in the budget right now. Is there one or two that is just known to be the best for homeowners?

I did a ton of searching on the HF $250 5 ton and it got pretty much flawless reviews/vids. I also saw good things about the Speeco splitter.

What has your experience been with these splitters?

Thanks

-Emt1581

i use a 6# one i got from hardmans hardware about 35 years ago -- i think it was $16 back then-- today their #20ish --

I don't have much knowledge on the small splitters but would recommend you either save up for a 20T plus hydro or look for a used model within your budget.

Fiskars X27 until you can afford a 20T hydraulic.
That is how I did it. I have an Ariens 22ton I am very happy with. Got it two years ago and have give or take 120-135 cords on it. It has its issues, mostly leaks starting this season, but I think for 6-8 cord a year it will last a long time. It has trouble kicking into the second stage when it is cold now, but its probably hit its expected service life and been past it. Log cradles bend easy, but they are good enough. You can always make better ones. The dirty hand tools splitter looks just as good, but is set up a little differently. I prefer the Ariens ergonomics, but I am also more familiar with it.

I started with a hand full of wedges and some mauls. Do some trading if possible with some one who has a hydro unit then save up to get your own. They will not go down in value an you will have the option of selling a few loads to others. Any other splitter will wear out soon and decrease in value. Thanks

I've got the Earthquake 5 ton from TSC. split about 9 cord over the past 3 years, mostly hickory and post oak. It's been the best 300 dollars I believe I've every spent.

I need a better splitter than the hand crank one I have. It seems like all the big places (HF, Northern Tool, Tractor Supply, etc.) all have a $250 option. Then some have $300 and $350 options to.

I'll be processing around 4-6 cords of wood per year, doing about 1/4-1/2 cord per session (I'm guessing). Just spent $500 on a saw. So one of these $200-$300-ish splitters is what's in the budget right now. Is there one or two that is just known to be the best for homeowners?

I did a ton of searching on the HF $250 5 ton and it got pretty much flawless reviews/vids. I also saw good things about the Speeco splitter.

What has your experience been with these splitters?

Thanks

-Emt1581
I have the Homelite 5 ton splitter that I got at HomeDepo. It is amazing at $300. I have done about 18 cords with it and is about 3 years old. Most people on this site do not respect these little splitters because they are not gas powered. They are missing out. I also do have the Dirty hand tools 22 ton which is great. The homelite is slower but it will do 95% of what the 22 ton gas powered one will do. I would guess that the 5 ton electric will only last about 5 years where as the gas one will last much longer. Also you need a pretty good long extension cord which is a negative but you deal with no gas. Good luck and keep us posted on what direction you go.

I have the Homelite 5 ton splitter that I got at HomeDepo. It is amazing at $300. I have done about 18 cords with it and is about 3 years old. Most people on this site do not respect these little splitters because they are not gas powered. They are missing out. I also do have the Dirty hand tools 22 ton which is great. The homelite is slower but it will do 95% of what the 22 ton gas powered one will do. I would guess that the 5 ton electric will only last about 5 years where as the gas one will last much longer. Also you need a pretty good long extension cord which is a negative but you deal with no gas. Good luck and keep us posted on what direction you go.

Thanks for sharing. I get the same impression about the lack of respect due to being electric. However, sometimes there is something to those feelings based on experience.

I'm wondering how you are arriving at your conclusion/assumption about the electrics only lasting 5 years or so? After 3 years is yours starting to not work as well?

I have the hand powered one which is painfully slow but it works perfect after 5+ years.

Thanks

-Emt1581

I don't think anything has to do with gas powered or not. They are just plain slow, not that powerful, and not that durable. Also a bit cumbersome as they usually require 2 hand operation, unless you jimmy up a way to defeat one of those operations.

I have a 4T electric. Keep it in the basement, it's great for resplitting bigger stuff before it goes in the boiler, that should have gotten split smaller to start with. Maybe for doing kindling too - but it's pretty slow. (My jimmied up thing uses a bungy cord).

I have a 22T gas for the real work - it comes to the woods with me & gets parked right where the rounds landed off the tree. I would not take my 4T to do that with even if it had a gas engine.

As usual, it comes down to what you are going to be doing with it or want to be doing, and your expectations. Very well could fill your bill.

I don't think anything has to do with gas powered or not. They are just plain slow, not that powerful, and not that durable. Also a bit cumbersome as they usually require 2 hand operation, unless you jimmy up a way to defeat one of those operations.

I have a 4T electric. Keep it in the basement, it's great for resplitting bigger stuff before it goes in the boiler, that should have gotten split smaller to start with. Maybe for doing kindling too - but it's pretty slow. (My jimmied up thing uses a bungy cord).

I have a 22T gas for the real work - it comes to the woods with me & gets parked right where the rounds landed off the tree. I would not take my 4T to do that with even if it had a gas engine.

As usual, it comes down to what you are going to be doing with it or want to be doing, and your expectations. Very well could fill your bill.

If it does not come down to gas powered vs. electric....are you aware of any well respected electric models?

I can say from the reviews that some of the smaller 5T electrics seems well liked by the reviewers. They don't seem to be pros just homeowners but like you said an electric might fit the bill. I think the trick is, since the electrics are easily returnable, to see if they show any signs of weakness/wear after 1-2 months of use. If so, might be something to spending 3-4 times the amount on one that'll outlast me.

Thanks

-Emt1581

What I would recommend is what I am doing. Rent one and save money to buy one of higher quality. I pay $50 a day to a local rental company for a 30+ ton gas splitter and just be ready with all the wood ready and work fast. One day of splitting and done.

Sent from this thing that doesn't ever seem to work right.

If it does not come down to gas powered vs. electric....are you aware of any well respected electric models?

I can say from the reviews that some of the smaller 5T electrics seems well liked by the reviewers. They don't seem to be pros just homeowners but like you said an electric might fit the bill. I think the trick is, since the electrics are easily returnable, to see if they show any signs of weakness/wear after 1-2 months of use. If so, might be something to spending 3-4 times the amount on one that'll outlast me.

Thanks

-Emt1581

The Homelite mentioned above is likely decent. Mine is a house branded one from up here you likely can't buy down there - but I am guessing most of them come from the same places. So buying it from somewhere that has good customer support might be the biggest factor. Which I think HD has? (Haven't had to use their support...).

A little more money and you can usually find a good used splitter. I got one for $500 a few years back and I still like it over the box store offerings.

Thanks for sharing. I get the same impression about the lack of respect due to being electric. However, sometimes there is something to those feelings based on experience.

I'm wondering how you are arriving at your conclusion/assumption about the electrics only lasting 5 years or so? After 3 years is yours starting to not work as well?

I have the hand powered one which is painfully slow but it works perfect after 5+ years.

Thanks

-Emt1581
My electric splitter is still going strong. The reason why I estimate only 5 years is because I have abused mine way beyond what is recommended. The frame is dented but very usable from logs weighing over 125lbs that I jammed in at the max length. I can not recommend it enough considering the price I paid.

My electric splitter is still going strong. The reason why I estimate only 5 years is because I have abused mine way beyond what is recommended. The frame is dented but very usable from logs weighing over 125lbs that I jammed in at the max length. I can not recommend it enough considering the price I paid.

I think I'm going to try to the 5 ton electric. But I'll tape the receipt to the box so I can easily take it back if in a few days or a few months it's just a pure POS.

Thanks

-Emt1581

I think I'm going to try to the 5 ton electric. But I'll tape the receipt to the box so I can easily take it back if in a few days or a few months it's just a pure POS.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Good idea on the receipt in case your expectation vs. my expectation going into the purchase are different. My advice for usage is to make sure you keep the unit level, release the pressure on the wing nut before using, and use a quality extension cord. let us know how your experience goes.

Nothing to do with gas verses electric. The little 4 and 5 ton are homeowner grade machines. A friend has an electric he built to run inside his garage. It's got a 12" by half inch thick I beam he scrounged somewhere, the blade is 16" tall and it will split any big ugly knot you can put on it. But, with the pump, pulley set up he has it is SLOW. A lot of guys have Super Splits with electric. You don't see a 5T with a six way wedge. I can see a little 5T and say, "wow, that thing works pretty good" for what it is. But it is not what I need or want. Most guys here are beyond homeowner needs. There are several that are flat out big time suppliers, most others sell as a hobby, to make a few bucks. I could never use a machine that small and slow. You have to match the machine to the job. When my Dad was still in business I had a Bliss two way splitter. I paid $3600 for it back in the early 80's. It took 35-40 HP to run it. When
Dad retired we didn't need a machine that big and sold it. Now I have a little 22T from TSC. It fits the job I need it for, about 10 cord a year. Match the machine to the job, Joe.

Just wanted to report back. Bought the 5 Ton for $211 OTD today at HF.

This thing is great!!! Now I only split a bunch of knotty pine with it but it ripped through the thick knots like they were nothing. My 5 year old son even split a bunch of it (getting him started early introducing him to his future chore). It was only one 20min. session but I now have a bunch of pine stacked and if memory serves me it should be ready to burn in a month or two. It was previously stacked in 20" long sections and cuts down 2 years ago.

I'll report back if I have any issues but is definitely money well spent as far as I'm concerned. I should be able to do a cord a day easily.

-Emt1581

Just wanted to report back. Bought the 5 Ton for $211 OTD today at HF.

This thing is great!!! Now I only split a bunch of knotty pine with it but it ripped through the thick knots like they were nothing. My 5 year old son even split a bunch of it (getting him started early introducing him to his future chore). It was only one 20min. session but I now have a bunch of pine stacked and if memory serves me it should be ready to burn in a month or two. It was previously stacked in 20" long sections and cuts down 2 years ago.

I'll report back if I have any issues but is definitely money well spent as far as I'm concerned. I should be able to do a cord a day easily.

-Emt1581
Glad you are happy with it. Hopefully it works out. HF has a good return policy.

Latest posts

Back