Which 346xp guide bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Locust Cutter

Sawing for Sanity
Reaction score
I am now in possession of another 346 and this time it's a dandy MMWS version. However I bought it PHO.
I plan on running an 16"x .050"-3/8"pitch bar on it. What I'm torn on is an Oregon Powermatch, Husky Techlite or Total/Tsumura (possibly light). We do a lot of limbing here as the trees have short trunks and large canopies, so the saw will get plenty of use requiring a well constructed bar. I'd rather not spend more than $100 and would like to spend less if possible for good quality.

Any suggestions, pros or cons?

If you're gonna limb a lot with it i would suggest .325 instead of 3/8. .325 is smooth and 3/8 can be grabby when you're limbing.

A Techlite is a large mount (562,372, etc)

Agreed, run .325.
The laminated bars will be lighter, if you're reaching up and limping i'd say go with the tech lite. The RSN bars are going to be more durable. If you're doing more felling I'd lean towards the Oregon. The Oregon will wear faster than the total/Tsumura, so it's just whether you want to pay more for longer life or pay less and pay again sooner (depending on how much cutting you do that could be 2-3 seasons from now or 10 years).

The total/Tsumura light would be almost as light as a laminate and almost as durable as a RSN, and will wear very slow, but it costs quite a bit more than $100.

If you go 325 I don't think you can beat husky nk bars. They are relatively long lasting, cheap and the lightest 16" bar for a 346. I can get 6 chains to a bar normally.
A sugi or tsumura light is a similar weight at a massively increased cost.
Kill a couple of cheap husky bars before you drop the cash on anything more expensive.

I vote for 18" .325. Ive tried 16" 3/8's and 18" 3/8's, but im not a fan for balance and weight reasons. I threw on a 20" 3/8's for shoots and giggles. I havent tried it yet though.

If you go 325 I don't think you can beat husky nk bars. They are relatively long lasting, cheap and the lightest 16" bar for a 346. I can get 6 chains to a bar normally.
A sugi or tsumura light is a similar weight at a massively increased cost.
Kill a couple of cheap husky bars before you drop the cash on anything more expensive.

I like the laminated 16" .325 Husky (Norway) made bars on those saws. They are light and cheap - and hold up reasonably well for what they are. I haven't tried laminated Sugihara bars, but don't think they are an option in the US anyway.

An RSN Sugihara light will be a good option (and longer lasting), if you want RSN without all the extra weight - and then there are of course the Cannon Supermini.

So far, there are no Techlite option for those saws.

Avoid wide profile/wise nose bars on such saws.

.325 is nicer to limb etc with than 3/8".

Dumb question but does anyone make a 66DL 16" x 0.50-.325 bar for the MS261? The reason I was thinking 3/8" is that I'm already setup w/16" .050-3/8" chain for my 261. What I tried (and mostly succeeded) in doing was going modular and standardizing on bar sizes across the board. I'm currently running 16", 20", 28" and 36" loops. Regardless of saw brand, if the chain i the proper length, all else IS the same and it will work. This way I avoid sorting between 3/8" and .325" loops of the same length with or without differing gauges... I don't want to go back to that.

On the flip side I can't seem to find .063 - .325 - 16" bars for a Husky small mount and DON'T want a solid nose... If I can run the same driver count, gauge and pitch of chain on both saws, then I'd love t run .325, otherwise I can do it in 3/8"...

:wtf:

Dumb question but does anyone make a 66DL 16" x 0.50-.325 bar for the MS261? The reason I was thinking 3/8" is that I'm already setup w/16" .050-3/8" chain for my 261. What I tried (and mostly succeeded) in doing was going modular and standardizing on bar sizes across the board. I'm currently running 16", 20", 28" and 36" loops. Regardless of saw brand, if the chain i the proper length, all else IS the same and it will work. This way I avoid sorting between 3/8" and .325" loops of the same length with or without differing gauges... I don't want to go back to that.

On the flip side I can't seem to find .063 - .325 - 16" bars for a Husky small mount and DON'T want a solid nose... If I can run the same driver count, gauge and pitch of chain on both saws, then I'd love t run .325, otherwise I can do it in 3/8"...

:wtf:
http://www.weedeaterman.com/product_p/vh2u-0j40hv.htm

http://www.weedeaterman.com/product_p/sv2u-0j40hv.htm

For whatever reason most Stihl 325 is .063 and most Husky 325 is .058 .......

Thank you for the links! I still don't understand why they're a link off of each other though... Maybe the Troll knows.
I can tighten a 68 dl 325 on my Stihl. Not sure if you could tighten a 67 on a husky or not? I have been looking for a nice light 16" bar to run 3/8 .050 on a ported 346. Husky branded Oregon RSN is two pounds, which is what an 18" Sugi weighs. I have more sh1t than a saw shop (rims, bars, files, chains etc.) and would sure like to run 3/8 square on everything

The cannon supermini 15" is listed as 64dl for 325, it's actually 66dl on a 346 and the exact same length as the husky 16".
It is a multi mount and I would only imagine it would be 66dl on a stihl aswell - but I haven't tried.
I can't remember what dl count it is listed for 3/8, but I would assume it is likely to be 59/60dl in reality.

Some more info here - http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/husky-small-mount-bars.282759/

Back