Which bar/chain for Echo CS-490

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The NK setup is good also from what I heard. I went 3/8lp because it matched the 355t and maid for one less file to carry when out cutting.
this is another reason im going to eventually do the conversion....other then my 590 and 490 and big poulans every thing i own is 3/8s lopro .....

I was looking at the Baileys Wooland Pro NKs, then started looking at the Oregon Pro-Lite Micro-lite w/ the TXL chain too.

this is how it looks with the narrow kerf 325 from baileys.... cuts great... but for me im going to eventually convert it.... just as i have so much lopro stuff on hand.....

Attachments

• 27749916_10212302891870916_8402917444641819312_n.jpg
    27749916_10212302891870916_8402917444641819312_n.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 32
If your only going to have one saw running the smaller chain, is there any advantage to 3/8LP over .325 NK on the 18”?

I think if I stick with 16” I’ll just use .325. I imagine the chain would be a lot easier to source locally if I needed it.

If your only going to have one saw running the smaller chain, is there any advantage to 3/8LP over .325 NK on the 18”?

I think if I stick with 16” I’ll just use .325. I imagine the chain would be a lot easier to source locally if I needed it.
3/8s lopro is everywhere.....walmart depot lowes .325 is good just buy them 3 or 4 at a time....

I ordered my 490 with a 16 because I already had a ported 590. The 490 does fine with a 16"325 setup. My 490 probly gets more run time then all my other saws combined. The biggest benefit I notice with the conversion is an obvious loss of weight hanging off the front of the saw. You wouldn't think it would be that much difference but you notice it the first time you pick up the saw.

I ended up ordering a 16” Oregon Pro-Lite bar and a loop of 25LPX and an 18” Oregon Micro-Lite Pro NK with a loop of 95TXL. I’m hoping the skinny 18” will balance and cut well and be my go-to. If not I got the regular 16” as backup. I was gonna do the 3/8LP but got in a hurry and could run the others without additional modification.

Does the CS 490 have a limited coil? I think I have it tuned ok with a tach but haven't cut anything with it yet. It's idling around 2800 and WOT with no load peaks at about 12200 RPM. Does that sound pretty reasonable?

Does the CS 490 have a limited coil? I think I have it tuned ok with a tach but haven't cut anything with it yet. It's idling around 2800 and WOT with no load peaks at about 12200 RPM. Does that sound pretty reasonable?
Sounds good. Max rpm is listed at 12,500, I have mine at 12,300.

Well apparently what I had it set at last night wasn’t right because it’s not wanting to run in the cold today. It starts and idles fine but bogs down when I throttle it up. I’ll mess with it again here in a little bit I guess.

Temperature will change your tune because of the difference in air density.

Well apparently what I had it set at last night wasn’t right because it’s not wanting to run in the cold today. It starts and idles fine but bogs down when I throttle it up. I’ll mess with it again here in a little bit I guess.
If it bogs off idle turn the low side jet 1/8 turn richer its probably a little lean do to the cold weather.

I tried cutting a little with it today and adjusting the carb. I got it to where I thought it sounded pretty good and recorded it so those more knowledgeable could comment.

I’m half deaf so I use a tach but it was sure piling up chips.

Sounds good to me can hear it 4 stroke when you lift a little which is what you want. Sometimes its easier to pick up the 4 stroking sound better watching a video then running the saw.

It seemed to cut well. I think it’s going to be a really handy saw. I have the 16” .325 bar with Oregon full chisel on it right now. I have to send back my narrow kerf bar because I clicked the wrong mount when I ordered. Doh!

Back