Which big saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hank Chinaski

Number 37
Reaction score
Need help from the vast knowledge pool here.

I'm in the market for a newer (used) big saw for my work in Disaster Relief.

Requirements:

_$600ish on the used, not abused, market
-new enough to get most common parts
-enough guts to run 38-42" bar
-ease to work on/maintain
-won't go obsolete quickly (ie larger production run is better)
-big aftermarket or "used market" support
-ease of work saw modding

It will be used for DR work a few times a year, and I may use it for CSM as well in the meantime.

Considering: MS660 Magnum, PS-9010, 395XPW, CS-8000 or whatever ya'll think will fit the bill. They retail around the same new, but I'm looking for the "best" of the bunch that won't give me a lot of grief or go obsolete in a year

Any and all input is appreciated. I'm more of a orange and white guy, but would consider all brands that would work and fit the budget.
If this has been covered, please link me as I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for.

Which ever you can find a DEAL. Also look at the 390XP, which is lighter and responds well to mods.

395XP is a great saw, and is my personal go-to saw for the big stuff. The nice thing about Husky's is that there are a couple models in the high cc range, so you have more choices.

never used the other saws listed but the 660 is a pretty sweet saw. Tons of power.

Just hold on when you start cutting. I've seen it tug some smaller guys around.

Between a "good" used, ms660 or 084

which would you chose and why?

I don't yet know what year models either of them are.

are the parts for the 084 still plenty available

I'm thinking I'd be better served w/a ms660, with factory MM, and a good tune w/good blades & bar, but if the parts are out there still for the 084, how does it respond to mild modding?

Thanks for all ya'lls advice/help

I would chose a 066-660 over a 084 unless you have a cart to carry the 084 around in. If I needed a big saw to cut big wood with I would grab my 066. If I needed a big saw with enough power to cut most anything and also had to lug it around all day with few breaks I would grab my 441. I'm sure the same thing could be said with the Husqvarna equivalents.

The weight isn't very much of an issue or high up on priority list as we usually work within 100' or so of our trucks/trailers.

It is a good point though. Thanks for bringing it up.

the "best" of the bunch you listed would be either the 660 or 395 in my opinion...

however if weight is not an issue, I would have thought a 42" bar would be a bit overkill for a 660/395, so I'd be tempted to go for an 084/088/880/3120, especially if you're considering milling with it. Dunno how much those go for secondhand in the US though.

I would chose a 066-660 over a 084 unless you have a cart to carry the 084 around in. If I needed a big saw to cut big wood with I would grab my 066. If I needed a big saw with enough power to cut most anything and also had to lug it around all day with few breaks I would grab my 441. I'm sure the same thing could be said with the Husqvarna equivalents.

Good points. the 084/088 is a beast of a saw & not really useful for "all around" cutting imho. Its great when needed though.

A 660 or 395 will run a 42" bar pretty good. The ones I had weren't stock so I'm not sure about a stock saw running it. You can probably find both of them in that price range in pretty good shape.

A 660 or 395 will run a 42" bar pretty good. The ones I had weren't stock so I'm not sure about a stock saw running it. You can probably find both of them in that price range in pretty good shape.

395/394 or 660/066...cant go wrong...id go with the husky but thats just me...im a husky guy...but i run the best saws for me in all the brands...lol:clap:

For 36 inch, I stay with the 70 cc saws. 48" in a pinch. After that, you are ok with 100 cc, or bigger FOR TOYS! :)

Where we are there isn't that much great big stuff.

Just MO.

For a 42" bar, and especially if you are cutting hardwoods, I would opt for something in the 7 cube range. 084/088s may be harder to come by but they really have the balls to cut some big stuff. I have never used a 660 with a 42" bar but i would imagine some mods would be in order to pull it well.

For a 42" bar, and especially if you are cutting hardwoods, I would opt for something in the 7 cube range. 084/088s may be harder to come by but they really have the balls to cut some big stuff. I have never used a 660 with a 42" bar but i would imagine some mods would be in order to pull it well.

Agreed. But whats a stock saw?..lol I dont own one..lol:jester:

Latest posts

Back