Which caliper to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watsonr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Have most of the tools I need but broke my caliper the other day. It was a cheap one and now need a good caliper. Is there a brand or model anybody prefers? Needs to have a white face dial, 6" length and anything else?

Thanks,

Randy

I am old school and still use a Scheer Tumico 6" vernier. No dial and no readouts. But i have been using them for 30 years so why change now. I have a machine shop so i have 3 of them laying around. They are getting hard to find and i did buy a new Fowler and its still in the box...Bob

I know you said it was time for a good caliper, but....

Have you considered the Harbor Freight digital calipers? Right now they're on sale for $19.99 for the 6 inch size.

I have a 6 inch Mitutoyo and two of the 6 inch Harbor Freight 6 inch models. The Harbor Freight are clearly not Mitutoyo in quality, but they are just as accurate as my lower end Mitutoyo. And as I can buy 4 to 6 of the Harbor Freight ones for every Mitutoyo I won't be heartbroken if I damage one.

One caveat. I only recommend buying the Harbor Freight calipers in the store. What I have needed to do to get ones that operate smoothly is to open the boxes and inspect each one. I find that I need to check 2 or 3 out before I find a nice one. (Like I said, they are clearly not Mitutoyo in quality.) If you internet order you'll just get the first one they pull off the shelf.

I also have a set of 8 inch Mitutoyo vernier calipers. My 55 year old eyes don't like them any more. I don't think I've used them in 5 years. But no caliper is as rugged as a set of vernier calipers. It's just that my eyes like the dials better and the electronic digital readouts even more.

Starrett has two levels of quality. The world level and made in the USA. I have the USA made 6" dial calipers and they are deadly accurate, for a caliper. Electronic calipers are the most flexible (inch-metric, floating zero, etc. ), Vernier calipers are the most reliable ( one moving part ), and dial calipers are a good compromise.

Last edited:
Mitutoyo all the way. Brand obsession is overrated, but I think they're like the Stihl of calipers.

Have you considered the Harbor Freight digital calipers? Right now they're on sale for $19.99 for the 6 inch size.Mitutoyo in quality.) If you internet order you'll just get the first one they pull off the shelf.
Not a darned thing wrong with the HF calipers. I have several of them, been using them daily on the job for years. They last 2 - 3 years in daily abusive use. When they go kaput, I replace them with another $20 caliper.

Not a darned thing wrong with the HF calipers. I have several of them, been using them daily on the job for years. They last 2 - 3 years in daily abusive use. When they go kaput, I replace them with another $20 caliper.

yes, i think the are probably the same ones. i have owned them for a couple of years and they have held up well. i have bought several things from jacks. they are good to deal, the quality is decent and the customer service is excellent.

https://www.jackstoolshed.com/p-106-6-digital-caliper-lcd-screen-instant-sae-metr-conv.aspx

Kolbalt

I have a set of the Kolbalt digital calipers from Lowes. They seem to be very well built for $30. Plus they have a lifetime warrenty.

SPI actually makes a decent caliper. If you don't want to spend the money on Starrett, Browne & Sharpe or Mititoyo go get a SPI. If you need it daily and you need it right everytime, spend the extra money.

Latest posts

Back