which do you think is better

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Assassin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i have got to cut 3 big oak trees 30 -36 inch in diameter down for a buddy
two are live and one is dead

all i got to do is put them on the ground i may cut a lil fire wood out of the 2 live ones
any way he is going to buy me a bar and chain for my saw cause all i have is a 20"

i am going to have him buy from bailey's so what do yall think will be a good set up

currently stock makita 6401

i am thinking

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=PMC+28+HU50&catID=

or

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=WBC+28+HU50&catID=

leaning toward the second

thanks in advance

Either bar will do fine. IMO the question is if you want to run skip chain or not. IN that kind of wood and with that bar ength I would.

Last edited:
Out of those two I would get the second. You might want to get skip chain if you don't like sharpening a lot of cutters. I think windsor is better quality than oregon in the bar department.

So far the windsor bars I've seen and used seemed to be better rails. They seem to not show as much wear as oregon. I haven't used any newer ones so they may be the same now with the different tips.

I have yet to try a windsor bar, i do use a lot of Carleton bars and they seem to be pretty good but mind you i'm not a logger, just some yahoo who likes to chop down a few trees every once in a while. Maybe my next purchase will be a windsor bar just to see if they are any good.

Either will do fine for you.

I like the Windsor bars very well but the selfish side of me secretly hopes you will get the Oregon with the full comp chain and video it to show all of the "It's too heavy for a 64cc saw" naysayers here!!!LOL

Mike

I have yet to try a windsor bar, i do use a lot of Carleton bars and they seem to be pretty good but mind you i'm not a logger, just some yahoo who likes to chop down a few trees every once in a while. Maybe my next purchase will be a windsor bar just to see if they are any good.

I have some bars for sale if your interested. Mainly 18's-20's and a few 32's
-ac

Maybe I'm missing something here - 30-36" tree will come down A-OK with a 20" bar hanging off a Dolmar/Makita. Unless you really want a new bar just to have one, you're good to go as is.

i agree heck i have cut do 30 inch oak with an 18 inch bar

but he is buying and id like to have a bigger bar for the rare occasion i get in big wood

Latest posts

Back