Which Echo?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BirdHunter

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am looking to add another firewood saw. I cut about 50 face cords of white oak & blackjack oak a year. Everything that I cut is 20" or less in diameter. I am using MS260/16"B/C and 026/20"B/C. I limb with Echo CS302/14"B/C. I think I want to try a 60cc Echo saw, I have had very good experience with Echo engines on trimmers, blowers and tillers. They have always been reliable, easy to start and have required very little maintence.

My question is for a 60cc firewood saw is the CS620P worth the $200+ over the CS590? I realize the 620P is little higher performance saw, with a few more perks, but for my use is it worth the extra bucks?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

BirdHunter

I haven't experienced those models enough to tell you much but have heard very good of both from a investment point of view. If you have the money to spend, I would think the $200 is worth it . As much wood as you cut I think you would be happy with either and if you spend the lesser you have $200 to spend on another saw or whatever.
If 54cc could make you happy, I have a new 550 p listed in the classifieds. I think it will accept the 60 cc cylinder and piston should someone want to upgrade it in the future.

I like my 590. It pulled a brand new 24" Oregon lgx buried in oak. I wouldn't want to do that all the time but it will do it if you need. I don't cut much, but it's done everything I've asked of it. I missed the muffler deflector but didn't gut it, gave it some fuel, and I've only put about 5 tanks through it.

My dad just bought a new 590. Hasn't put more than a tank of gas through it yet though. So far, it's kept up with my Stihl 441. Both running 20" bars in frozen Red Oak. It's lighter than the 441, but I assume that's due to the use of more plastic in the construction, a lighter anti-vibe system, etc. It'll suit him nicely. It comes with a 5 year warranty for consumer use, and a $400 price tag. If he cuts a couple cord with it, instead of having to buy them, the saw is paid for.

Just me but if i did have the extra $200 to spend i would pick up the cs620.nothing wrong with the 590.the plastic top handle doesnt bother me.either aluminum or plastic works for me.if you do get the 590 look into upgrading the clutch to the rim set up.

I hadnt noticed that the cs550 looked almost identicle.if i were you i would check out the one bushwacker has in the trading post.he's a good dude to deal with and the price he has on it is a steal.

He asked about echo not a dolly. 620pw would almost lure me away from my 6100 if the made just a few changes to them.

If your not set on a echo take a look at the 6100 and I have a deal on 6400's right now

SUPER happy with my cs-590. Very powerful saw at an insane price.

If you want, grab a rim sprocket setup for it and when the bar wears out a better bar.

Runs really smooth in 22" frozen oak up here in NY. Haven't gone bigger than that but I am sure it would do fine.

Using mine with the full chisel and/or with a semi chisel oregon chain - very surprised at the power to weight ratio.

I run my mix rich - 40-1 or 32-1 with conventional the first 10 or so tanks

JC

Let me know what decision you make and why. I'm interested in the same. Without running either of them, my thoughts have been if I started with a 590 and paid for all the upgrades, it would be significantly cheaper to get the 620 in the first place. My thoughts have been more bt the 600 and 620. That Echo claim of 13% power increase is worth the $100 to me. The question is next season are you going to remember the price difference?

As proved by some vids a muff modded and tuned good CS590 runs real good, half of the increase on the CS620 could be in the muff as they are different part numbers. Every Echo saw I've muff modded made at least a 13% increase. Steve

I did muff mod my cs590 and it helped with power. You have to cut out the tube and baffle or it will be silly loud.

I posted a thread on that here a few months ago.

Mine runs like a bulldog

Had more experience with the 590. Great saw so far. Was out cutting Thursday here in MN. If it wasn't single digit temps, it sure felt like it. Saw did very well in the cold. Had the 20" bar buried in frozen Red Oak. Does just fine. Mentioned in an earlier post that I run a 441 C-Mtronic,(my father has the 590) The Stihl pulls ahead in the bigger wood and when really working the dogs, but if the 441 somehow took a walk, and I had 400 bucks to spend on a new saw, the 590 would be in top contention.

620 is worth every penny extra if it fits in your budget! Gotta lot of trigger time with both. 620 runs about 1000 rpm faster in the cut and all the little extra features it has adds up! It's kind of unfortunate that the 620 has been so overshadowed by the 590 price tag. But you gotta admit there is simply no saw that can touch the 590 in the "value" department.

Thank you for the 620 rpm update WSE.cant wait to run one against the 600.just one question.is the 620p muffler as choked down as the others?

Latest posts

Back