which equip trailer has more ground clearance ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobcat

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I need to buy another trailer to move equipment around, both on the road, and off road. My question is : will I really have more ground clearance with a deckover instead of a between-the-axles trailer ? These are in the 12-14k payload range. The deckover is 34-35" deck height, with a beavertail that has a ground clearance of approx 24-25". The BTA trailer is 24" deck height and obviously no beaver tail. Both have the same 16" G-rating tires. So, I do no see how the deckover will give be more off road ground clearance. Am I missing something ?
bob

Bob, I may be wrong, but I never thought that deckovers where intended to give more ground clearance. The design is so that you don't have fenders in the way, if that matters to you.

It seems to me that the ground clearance is at the axles. Anything they do above that really doesn't affect it.

Then again, I could be wrong.

I agree, the axles are the same (probably) on both, the tube will be at the same height either way. Now the frame might sit lower on the between the tires, but it may not.

Another benefit on an over the tires is the deck is wider.

I realize that the deckover eliminates the fender issue, and can provide more deck with if needed. But the local guys keep telling me to buy the deckover because it has for ground clearance, and I disagreed with them. Thanks for your input.
bob

If they both have the same diameter wheel/tire combo, then they both have the same ground clearance. Axles always go in the middle of the tire,correct? Maybe I'm missing something more complicated?

Deck height might be an issue if you're pulling the trailer up and over uneven terrain. As the wheels drop into a low spot, or the truck is tilting up or down compared to the trailer, the deck height can matter at the tail end. Overall length would also matter.

Back