Which first Saw? It's about time!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawk45

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm 40 and finally getting my first saw. After years with an ax and pull saws, I'm doing it. Usually just chopped up some down wood for the fire, but have some real tasks this spring.

I have to take down about 6 small/medium (8"-14" dia) size trees in the yard this year and have a bunch other in the back already down I want to cut up. I was at the landscaping shop today and they are a Stihl dealer, so I went in and looked a bit. Then headed home to do some research.

Now outside of the pending work in the yard, I'll want something compact enough to take camping and just for general trimming and maintenance. It will probably come out 5-6 times a year with the biggest bulk cutting up wood for the winter and the backyard fire pit. I don't heat my house with wood, it's just for the extra warmth and aesthetics in the great room.

I'd like to stay near the $400 mark. I was looking at a saw from each of the 3 Stihl groups (Homeowner, Farm, Professional). While I know the Professional would be optimal, do I need it? Is it worth the money for my needs? I only want to buy one to last me forever (which lends to the Pro model) but I'm sure the Farm and Homeowner are no slouches as well. I thought about a used, but don't want to deal with getting something too beat up or having to replace/repair right out of the gate.

Ones looking at:
MS 251 (Homeowner) - 45CC, 2.9HP, 10.8 LBS
MS 291 (Farm) - 55CC, 3.76HP, 12 LBS
MS 261 (Pro) - 50CC, 3.75HP, 11.6 LBS

I appreciate the help from those with more experience than I in this realm.
Hawk

UPDATE: Choice made, see post #48 (page 3) for details. Thanks everyone!

I would spend my money on the pro saw line. Down the road, if you decide you want a larger saw and want to remain a single saw owner the 261 will be worth more than the others and easier to sell. On top of that, the pro saws are just better, power to weight, durability, support, etc.

Not to get too far off my original plan, but would the 361 be too much for my needs? Just thinking I want the most versatile option if getting just one.

Buddy of mine has an older MS 250 that's set up with a 16" bar. Its light weight and more than capable of doing as you described cutting (8"-14" dia) as long as you keep it equipped with sharp chain. Treat it with respect and feed it good fuel mix and it should last many many years.

Enjoy and send pics once you've made the final choice.

Your situation is a lot like mine, and first thing you'll notice is that these are not our fathers' saws. Second thing you'll notice, maybe cuz of their performance, is that it'll leave you wanting more...either more saw, or more saws. We got only what we needed for 4 storm-downed trees, a quality 16" 45cc. That same week we got a next level 20" 70cc saw, cuz the first smaller one made me want more, not cuz it wasn't adequate, but b/c it was so satisfying to use.

So, in my case my practicality for getting sumthin only for the immediate need at hand ultimately allowed me to get a second saw. Lotsa people follow a 2- or 3-saw plan. But, if you're determined to have only one, get the pro line, cuz after you use any of those you mentioned, yer gonna want it anyway. And good luck with that 1-saw plan...maybe you should just get the homeowner line like I did so that you can get a pro line saw behind it.

Not to get too far off my original plan, but would the 361 be too much for my needs? Just thinking I want the most versatile option if getting just one.

Aha! See?! Yer already doing it. I'm telling ya, these things are addictive.

For versatility, you want sumthin that'll pull a longer bar if the need arises. The "farm" saws don't go any higher than a 20" bar for their biggest--64cc @ 4.4hp. Look at the "equivalent" pro saw--the 362 @ 59cc/4.7hp and 25" bar, or the 70cc 441 @ 5.5hp and up to a 32" bar. And I'm sure 25" is all you'll probably ever need, while it'll absolutely rip with an 18" for most duty. But if yer sure 20" is all you'll ever need, and at a pound and a half lighter, then sure, get the 261.

Stormy, just sitting here and thinking about everything else in my garage, I have one of nothing but multiples of everything. The more I read, the more it makes sense to have a few saws, just in case one is down or gets stuck. I'd say with that in mind, how does that change my plan? Go small first or go bigger first? I know I can talk the wife into one saw for the "house", so maybe go bigger on the first and if I want to grab a smaller one for limbing and camping, grab that one out of my own pocket.

Just found a used 028 for $150. Says "good running". Would this be a good grab? Is that considered a "Pro" version

I had a Husqvarna 455 Rancher for 8 years, used it after storms and for generally property upkeep. As a single saw it was good, did what I needed but was always a little slower than I wanted.

Now, I have a 361. While I plan to add a small limping saw for a 2 saw plan the 361 could definitely be used exclusively. I am quite impressed with the saw.

For what it is worth, I paid $400 used to my door and it was money well spent.

Just found a used 028 for $150. Says "good running". Would this be a good grab? Is that considered a "Pro" version

The 028 is from the pro line. I bought a 028 AV Super on Friday for $150, cleaned it up, adjusted the carb, used it Saturday for a few hours and sold it this morning for $250.

Wow!! Only problem is it's an hour each way to check it out. And I'd have no idea what I'm looking for as far as issues, etc.

Bad gas, improper fuel ratio, bad tuning, dull chains, lack of maintenance, etc. will kill a pro saw just as easily as it will a cheapo version. There will only be a long term benefit if the saw is properly treated.

If Stihl is your choice go with the 261. Once you get some experience behind the handle then you can move up.

Stormy, just sitting here and thinking about everything else in my garage, I have one of nothing but multiples of everything. The more I read, the more it makes sense to have a few saws, just in case one is down or gets stuck. I'd say with that in mind, how does that change my plan? Go small first or go bigger first? I know I can talk the wife into one saw for the "house", so maybe go bigger on the first and if I want to grab a smaller one for limbing and camping, grab that one out of my own pocket.

I like the way it happened for us, and so is my wife (which is the only thing that really matters). Did my homework, got a quality small saw for our immediate need, and saved money by not insisting on the pro version. Then showed her the need for a bigger saw and spent the extra pro money there, cuz that one gets used a lot more (her mother's firewood). This is one way to minimize costs, but if it's strategy yer after, I guess I'm afraid that if you go bigger first and with sumthin that's still light and nimble, you may forgo the smaller saw altogether, and there's lotsa reasons to have two saws. I like the 50cc/70cc homeowner's plan, maybe savin $$ on the smaller one but only if yer using it less. But if you have the $$, then I'd agree w/ the others...start w/ the 261, and add the 441 later. Otherwise, the 362 for a 1-saw plan.

Two saw plan, a 50-70, one saw plan a 60. The current stihl pro saw in that size is the 362cm, a plus to you is that it is auto adjusting, m-tronic.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/professional-saws/ms362cm/

If you want to go cheap, just hit Craigslist and get whatever local to you that runs, it doesn't matter a whole lot what it is. Plenty of resources on this site to keep ya cutting. I cut for years and years with used 10-20 dollar saws, various pedigrees. Adjusted for inflation, call it a hundred dollar saw today, around there.

No it wouldn't be. It's actually perfect for a one saw plan. It'll lop up anything in north America aside from a 500 year old giant.

Latest posts

Back