Which Ford F-250, 4X4?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had an 88 F-150 4x4 with a 302. It didn't have enough power to get out of it's own way. Mine was a four speed manual and was an absolute dog. It was reliable but not worth a damn for hauling anything.

We had both of those back then. You couldn't give me the 302. About the only thing it was good for was riding around drinking beer, as long as you weren't going up hill. Take the 460, it'll still be doing its job when the 302 is in the junkyard. Also, the fuel usage difference was nearly the same. I never understood how Ford could get a 302 to burn that much gas, while producing so little power.

You two must have got a couple bad ones?

I've had two trucks with the 302 and they were fine. No problems, decent gas mileage and would pull anything I needed. Now, my mom has a 94 F150 302 that is a bit sluggish and a gas pig, but her's is geared higher than my two were and that makes a huge different.

:hmm3grin2orange: Your undecided now.. May as well go look at a old Chevy :msp_sneaky:

Sorrry those old chev/gmc used to break the frame just ahead of the cab, known weak spot, repaired plenty back in the day.

What is the gearing on the two , should be on the door post sticker.
If your purpose is to use it as a truck 460, Also lot cheaper to repair/rebuild carb than EFI, nothing in the 80's was known for fuel milage. To me when getting back in years the KISS principal comes into play. As to durability well there it is anybody's guess as history is unknown factor. Both units look pretty clean in the pics, got to get under and look in the nooks and crannies. Look for leaks, jack the front ends up and check ball joints (around a $1100 repair if you don't do your own on the straight axel) Check the shifting in and out of 4x4 as well as the front hubs. Fuel lines like to go south at the top of the tanks. Look at the cab mounts. Auto trany lines like to develop pin hole leaks( all three makes) Brake lines can do the same. Heck they are older used trucks, toss the dice and away ya go.

Sorrry those old chev/gmc used to break the frame just ahead of the cab, known weak spot, repaired plenty back in the day.

Just gotta find a young milage one.. i just got one that has 71000 miles on it.. 80 gmc.. anyhow.. I would pick the older ford.. 460 for the win.. you wanna tow a loaded trailer and a loaded truck.. I wish my 3/4 ton had a 454..

I've got a 92 F150 4x4 with the 302 5 speed. (extended cab long box) The 302 is fine driving around unloaded. Put in a box full of seasoned firewood and it's sorta ok unless your going up a hill. On hills I must downshift from 5th to 4th and at times the thing still pings like a SOB regardless of fuel type. Difficult to maintain highway speeds on a incline. Best mileage I've ever gotten (unloaded- highway miles) is 16mpg. I hear dodge is finally putting a medium sized v-6 diesel in their 1500 that supposed to bring 30mpg- wish that kind of powertrain was offered 15 years ago.

Last edited:
When choosing a truck with gas motors there is no replacement for cubic displacement. Pocketbook plays a large role on options where I went with 350tbi instead of 454's in the chevys I had. Of course if you burn coal you can have a measly 359 cubic inch motor like I have with about 650 lb/ft of torque to play with.

When choosing a truck with gas motors there is no replacement for cubic displacement. Pocketbook plays a large role on options where I went with 350tbi instead of 454's in the chevys I had. Of course if you burn coal you can have a measly 359 cubic inch motor like I have with about 650 lb/ft of torque to play with.
Yeah, but that big heavy thing is horrible in the woods. I own one too. If you gotta get back in the mud to get the wood, the lighter truck the better, also if you do a winch is a must. You will use it in muddy conditions with a full load. also get a snatch block, it might save you from unloading to get it unstuck.

I've got a 92 F150 4x4 with the 302 5 speed. (extended cab long box) The 302 is fine driving around unloaded. Put in a box full of seasoned firewood and it's sorta ok unless your going up a hill. On hills I must downshift from 5th to 4th and at times the thing still pings like a SOB regardless of fuel type. Difficult to maintain highway speeds on a incline. Best mileage I've ever gotten (unloaded- highway miles) is 16mpg. I hear dodge is finally putting a medium sized v-6 diesel in their 1500 that supposed to bring 30mpg- wish that kind of powertrain was offered 15 years ago.

5th gear is overdrive and should not be used when loaded down.

Something needs to be fixed, if it pings with 89-93 octane! Could be as simple as the timing needs to be retarded a bit.

Also, extended cab and a long box is a bit much for a 302. What gears are in the axles?

Yeah, but that big heavy thing is horrible in the woods. I own one too. If you gotta get back in the mud to get the wood, the lighter truck the better, also if you do a winch is a must. You will use it in muddy conditions with a full load. also get a snatch block, it might save you from unloading to get it unstuck.

You are very right.

I've switched to a smaller lighter 4wd for my woods truck...

I've had two trucks with the 302 and they were fine. No problems, decent gas mileage and would pull anything I needed. Now, my mom has a 94 F150 302 that is a bit sluggish and a gas pig, but her's is geared higher than my two were and that makes a huge different.

The sluggish one I mentioned above has pulled many, many loads of hay, 6000+ pounds. I talk bad about it some, but it gets the job done and has been a solid truck for 20 years!

5th gear is overdrive and should not be used when loaded down.

Something needs to be fixed, if it pings with 89-93 octane! Could be as simple as the timing needs to be retarded a bit.

Also, extended cab and a long box is a bit much for a 302. What gears are in the axles?

Sunfish is right.I had a '90 with the 302 and 5 spd. manual.In nearly 200000 mi.I had no serious problems.Pushed,pulled,bumped and pulled over the road with some ungodly loads often times on an interstate highway,at highway speed,Never a wimper.
To SBC Steve: is that SBC the same one that's had a leaky rear main seal since 1955? Maybe it's the one the CEO of Govt.Motors meant when he said PINGING is the sound of the future! Me,I'll take the Ford Windsor every day. I've many
,even had one in a boat. The only time a boat engine takes a break is when it's shut down.Course now I have a Triton.Havent blown any sparkplugs out of it either!

Out of all the Ford's we had, those were my favorites. Why? Because Dad and I both started buying Chevrolet ever since. Neither one of us has had an ounce of regret about it either.

The 302 was available in that truck for 1988. Get the axle code off of the door pillar. You can get the ratio by doing a search. Should be a 1 or 2 digit number. I know there are 2 digit numbers for sure or post it and I'll see if I can come up with it in my service manuals. Take it for a ride and see how it runs...Then make a decision. I have a 302 in my 1996 150 that works well. I had a 429 that I put in a 1979 that worked extremely well. It all depends on what you are after.

The 300-6 is a very good motor. I have overheated mine so bad you could feel the block shaking from the boil when I shut it down. I let it cool and it is still running. That is not something I am proud of, but when you have to dig through 3 feet of wet heavy snow with a load of wood and you will freeze in if you stop, you keep going.

These motors are bullet proof. My two brothers have them and I have one. They all work hard. I have hauled well over a million pounds in my f250 in the last 2-3 years. It still goes down the highway fine and gets about 18-20 mpg doing it. It will carry 9,000 lbs on the bed and goes anywhere. It is 2wd, but I have some meaty spike chains that provide plenty of traction.:hmm3grin2orange:

I try to stay away from the v8's because they don't seem to have the low end grunt that the 300 has. A 300 can also be built up to 300 hp and 400 ft/lbs on a budget. THAT is pulling power. I don't know what mine has in it for replacement parts because I have not opened it yet, but it has a TON of torque from 800-1400 rpm. My brothers can wind theirs out and have a full band. I used to be able to roll the tire through 4th gear but now I have armored tires to prevent punctures from stems/sticks and small diameter(1/2-3") stumps cut at sharp angles(thanks dad) and they weigh a TON. Big brakes are a must for a wood hauler since you can easily weigh 14,000 lbs in a loaded 3/4 ton.

I would pass on both. Automatics and v8's have a place, but not hauling wood. I recommend something with an inline engine and a manual transmission. 4wd is not a must, but is handy, and is more maintenance. You have to use it or it will go to pieces. The reason you don't see medium or heavy duty trucks with v8's is because they lack torque, are less efficient, and are harder to work on. An inline engine gives very good torque because the cylinders are not offset. A V makes hp and a straight makes torque. Torque is how much work you can do and hp is how fast you can do it. My brother's big truck has 400 hp but 1200 ft/lbs of torque and is an inline. It works very well as a stump puller or chain/strap breaker.

This is just my observation in a tired state. Please forgive any ramblings or other imperfections.

I have a 1986 F250 with the 460 and it's a good solid truck. Depending on the condition of the carb you may need to get it rebuilt, and the typical carburetor for this model is the Holley 4160 or one of it's variants.

Things to be aware of with this model year:

The rear tank fuel pump is a problem, especially the Napa branded Carter pumps. If you ever have to replace the rear tank pump use a Ford OE pump or an Airtex pump. I learned this the hard way. Also be aware that sending units with the right gauge range are no longer available. If you change sending units you will need to add a different gauge.

The two tank fuel switch on the frame can also cause problems.

The 460 of this vintage has a tendency towards oil pan leaks, not a big deal but just be aware.

I've had mine now for about 4 years and it's a good solid rig.

Never had a problem in the woods with mine. I do have a 10K winch on the back but UP here in the hardwoods it's usually not muddy. If I do go in a muddier section I take my YJ and little trailer. 36in Iroks, rubicon express leaf overs, d44 J truck axles with 5.13 gears, detroits front and rear is pretty good at getting the wood out, they are smaller loads but it stihl works..

Never had a problem in the woods with mine. I do have a 10K winch on the back but UP here in the hardwoods it's usually not muddy. If I do go in a muddier section I take my YJ and little trailer. 36in Iroks, rubicon express leaf overs, d44 J truck axles with 5.13 gears, detroits front and rear is pretty good at getting the wood out, they are smaller loads but it stihl works..

Nice rig.. the jeep.. and BTW>. i see what you did there (second word from the end) :msp_sneaky:

The 300-6 is a very good motor. I have overheated mine so bad you could feel the block shaking from the boil when I shut it down. I let it cool and it is still running. That is not something I am proud of, but when you have to dig through 3 feet of wet heavy snow with a load of wood and you will freeze in if you stop, you keep going.

These motors are bullet proof. My two brothers have them and I have one. They all work hard. I have hauled well over a million pounds in my f250 in the last 2-3 years. It still goes down the highway fine and gets about 18-20 mpg doing it. It will carry 9,000 lbs on the bed and goes anywhere. It is 2wd, but I have some meaty spike chains that provide plenty of traction.:hmm3grin2orange:

I try to stay away from the v8's because they don't seem to have the low end grunt that the 300 has. A 300 can also be built up to 300 hp and 400 ft/lbs on a budget. THAT is pulling power. I don't know what mine has in it for replacement parts because I have not opened it yet, but it has a TON of torque from 800-1400 rpm. My brothers can wind theirs out and have a full band. I used to be able to roll the tire through 4th gear but now I have armored tires to prevent punctures from stems/sticks and small diameter(1/2-3") stumps cut at sharp angles(thanks dad) and they weigh a TON. Big brakes are a must for a wood hauler since you can easily weigh 14,000 lbs in a loaded 3/4 ton.

I would pass on both. Automatics and v8's have a place, but not hauling wood. I recommend something with an inline engine and a manual transmission. 4wd is not a must, but is handy, and is more maintenance. You have to use it or it will go to pieces. The reason you don't see medium or heavy duty trucks with v8's is because they lack torque, are less efficient, and are harder to work on. An inline engine gives very good torque because the cylinders are not offset. A V makes hp and a straight makes torque. Torque is how much work you can do and hp is how fast you can do it. My brother's big truck has 400 hp but 1200 ft/lbs of torque and is an inline. It works very well as a stump puller or chain/strap breaker.

This is just my observation in a tired state. Please forgive any ramblings or other imperfections.

The part about heavy trucks not haveing "v" configured engines is not entirely correct. Think back to the heavy use of Detroit V6,V8 and even some V12 engines.Many "V" engine powered trucks are in use in Australia
on their road trains.In Europe about 5 out of 10 heavy trucks are Scanias with V8 engines.

I have decided to buy neither of these trucks. Will wait for a chevy.:rock:
No really, kind of thought that the 302 was too small for an F250 fully loaded with split ash pulling a trailer with more ash.
Took a look under the F250 with the 460 and the bottom of the engine looked damp.
No puddles on the ground, but definitely leaking something.

The hunt continues for the perfect wood hauler.

Back