Which goes first, tie top of ladder, or attach lanyard?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danbirch

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm new to palm climbing/pruning, but I'm wondering which would be safer to do first, Tie the top of the ladder to the tree, or attach my lanyard once I get to the top, and then tie the ladder? I'm wondering what other's do? Thanks!

I run my lanyard throu the ladder, That way your doing both at the same time. Then depending on the palm and work involved I put in a line up throu the fronds so I can get rid of the ladder and move around the palm. I like the ladder to be removed as soon as I have a tip in. I am scared to death of unsecured ladders, but sometimes its part of the job.

I run my lanyard throu the ladder, That way your doing both at the same time. Then depending on the palm and work involved I put in a line up throu the fronds so I can get rid of the ladder and move around the palm. I like the ladder to be removed as soon as I have a tip in. I am scared to death of unsecured ladders, but sometimes its part of the job.

Thanks, beastmaster!

Actually, I start by securing the lower part of the ladder (at the 5th rung) from the ground, so it is secure before I even begin climbing it, and stays secured until I'm back on the ground. (Levelock makes some very quick/easy straps that attach to the ladder, see Ladder Safety Strap ) Then, there is a smaller strap for the top of the ladder as well. That's the one I was wondering about, if I should secure it prior to attaching my lanyard. I appreciate your input!

Latest posts

Back