which hand saw do you use and why

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as filing the blade, you need a vise at a proper height and the blade sandwiched between 2 stiffeners probably have to move it a few times per side and nice easy sure strokeswith the file.
That's how I file crosscut saws anyway. The angles need to be presise.

I wanted to be quiet yesterday when cutting 5 white spruce poles for rafters for a woodshed roof. Used my 13" Heavy Duty and a 5 lb rafting ax for chopping the top of the face cut. A couple of them were 8+" on the stump. Did all the swamping, Limbing and bucking with the saw also. Its moose season. Drug them out and loaded them by hand also. 16' long and 4" small end. It was a work out for sure. . Blade started pitching up. Should have had a bottle of diesel with me.

Man im surprised no one has mentioned the double thick mondo Fanno blade?? I have had a few guys back to back with their ibuki and suguoi blades cut along with double thick mondo blade and Ibuki and mondo same amount of strokes to get through a few branches at different thiknesses . the Suguoi was just a little bit more strokes to get through the same branches. if they are not hardened than you can re sharpen them. other wise good luck. I bought the thrasher from sherrill and it is hardened version of the double thick mondo blade that I havent even opened up yet in two years due to me re sharpening my blades I still am using. another note is the cost of any other blade from silky is like double or triple the amount of the double thick mondo. I dont understand it they are all tri cut blades , I personally like the thicker versions and I cant get that from any other blade. If the Ibuki was thicker and 1/2 the price maybe I would try it, and the same with the hyachi blade as well, but for the thinner blade and double / Triple the price forget about it! The only downside here is with smaller pruning like Japanese Maples you can have some tearing and not the greatest fine cuts using the more aggressive blades. but that's with all aggressive ones not just the double thick mondo. so I think that is why many like the Zubat and some others so much. Personal preference we all have different likes, that's what makes all the companies stay in business! One things for sure on all the blades, one slip from the branch to your leg,and your getting stitches and new pants!! I do use the same double thick mondo blade for my climbing hand saw and my pole sections too. :msp_sneaky:

Any special tips or tricks to it? I have the file and a dull blade (another well on its way). I just haven't tried yet.

I'm assuming just keeping the angles right, gentle strokes, etc.... just like any other sharpening.

I ruined the first one I tryed to sharpen. My family owned a tool and die shop and I made and sharpened tools for years from the time I was 14 tell around 21. So I wasn't intimidated by my first failure. It's easy to say just follow the angles, but it takes practice to get a smooth even stroke on the whole cutting edge. It's very easy to get compounded angles if it hits at the top before the bottom of the tooth. Or the front before the back of the tooth. Just like a chainsaw you want to take the same amount of strokes on each tooth. The top ones are critical and the hardest I think, but only need a stroke or two.
A vise helps a lot but I do mine while sitting watching t.v. or on the way to the job in the truck, Those little feather files chip easy too, but will last a lot time. Make sure to clean the blade good or sap will clog up the file.
I can't say a resharped one is as good as a new factory one, but if done right, there way better then a dull one.
I have several scars to prove how sharp I get them. It's easy to under estimate how dangerous they can be, they slice through flesh like butter.
The saw I've used for the last year I broke the tip off, I have a replacement, but its still cutting so good I haven't replaced it yet. I do a lot of dead wooding in oaks with mine. Lots of times on dicey removals I might finish the cut with my hand saw so I'll have more control. On smaller white firs and monkey puzzle trees all it takes is a stroke or two and you can just brake the branch. Makes for a quick limbing job.
There are times I wish I had a finer toothed saw for makeing smooth cuts on small stuff though.

I use a Silky Zubat everytime, and I have a lot of mates that do the same, it fits well in your hand, stays sharp for a long time, and the curved blade lets you complete a stroke with minimal effort......and after you have pinched the bar on your new 201 it really saves your ass :msp_tongue:

I wanted to be quiet yesterday when cutting 5 white spruce poles for rafters for a woodshed roof. Used my 13" Heavy Duty and a 5 lb rafting ax for chopping the top of the face cut. A couple of them were 8+" on the stump. Did all the swamping, Limbing and bucking with the saw also. Its moose season. Drug them out and loaded them by hand also. 16' long and 4" small end. It was a work out for sure. . Blade started pitching up. Should have had a bottle of diesel with me.

Awesome. You sound like Richard Proenneke!!! (wouldn't let me say "D-I-C-K" WTF???)

I use a Silky Zubat everytime, and I have a lot of mates that do the same, it fits well in your hand, stays sharp for a long time, and the curved blade lets you complete a stroke with minimal effort......and after you have pinched the bar on your new 201 it really saves your ass :msp_tongue:

That is one thing I have used my hand saw for. The one time this season that I got dead hung up under bucking about a hundred pound limb. 2 pulls on my hand saw and the limb takes off and I'm back to Limbing with the chain saw.
I don't climb without a hand saw any more.

How many use a saw longer than 13" ?

How many use a saw longer than 13" ?

Guy who initially trained me had this MONSTER, thing was massive, had to be 25" or more. Had these huge clean outs every inch or so. Thing would slice thru decent sized branches faster than a chainsaw. It was a antique that he saved. He had to sharpen it all the time tho. It was pretty heavy too. The scabbard was heavy as hell too.

Stowe a hand saw.

I have a zubat with the yellow silky scabbard. I bought some Velcro tape ran it the the slots. I strap that to my right leg with with handle facing out. I use to clip it on my left side. With chainsaw on my right. .

Do what is comfortable for you. Try different spots.

By the way, on anothe thread i like the fly fishing real for throw line. When i get a new real ill try that with my old one. .

Also the zubat is a great hand saw. IMO.

I have a zubat with the yellow silky scabbalrd. I bought some Velcro tape ran it the the slots. I strap that to my right leg with with handle facing out. I use to clip it on my left side. With chainsaw on my right. .

Do what is comfortable for you. Try different spots.

By the way, on anothe thread i like the fly fishing real for throw line. When i get a new real ill try that with my old one. .

Also the zubat is a great hand saw. IMO.

Sorry just read my post. Hand saw is on left leg.

I use a fanno handle thats carved up to git my hand in a mess of positions and the blade itself is an ars 13 incher it saws the same as a zubat forall intensive purposes and the blade is a little cheaper. Im also one of those wierd people who is a righty and has the saw on my left my lanyard clips from right to left as well so the tail isnt getting tangled in the saw scabard

Zubat because it's the only one I've owned. I like it so much, I'm contemplating getting the Zubat pruning pole only because it uses the same blade. I've only performed about 5 removals since June, and found I use the Zubat more than anything. In fact, I've burned less than one gallon of gas/oil mix among my 4 chainsaws in that same time period (MS150T, MS192T, MS250 & MS441), so the Zubat sees constant duty.

photo-10.JPG You could also strap this to your right hip. It's a little bit noisy tho!
Sorry to interrupt. Hey Glen, good to see you here. I bet you could have busheled a ton with this setup. I can barely start it, however

Used to use the cheaper Coronas and would break the plastic handles sometimes. Have had a couple of Zubats. Lost one that fell out of scabbard and disappeared never to be seen again. Broke handle off another one. (Whacking deadwood is a bad and expensive habit). Two years ago was given a higher end Corona at TCI Expo by a Corona rep, and it is every bit as good or better than a Zubat.

Zubat or silky (gamtaro? ) depending on what the boss decides is best at the time, lol. I don't buy the equipment, I just use it.

Sent from my LGMS500 using Tapatalk

Samurai Ichiban 13". I've never used anything else and looking at the prices I probably never will. I replace blades when they dull. Chainsaw hangs on left hip, handsaw hangs on right.

Latest posts

Back