Which Husky of these?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenlantern412

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a medium saw Husky 350, a small Husky 142, and now Im looking for a big guy. There are a couple USED ones I was looking at. 272xp, 385xp, 365 special. The 385 is the biggest and also most expensive. Can I go wrong with any of these? Thanks

Your statement said: "big guy". Of your list, the 385XP is obviously the biggest. Since you have the small and medium group covered, I recommend the 385XP.

The 372XP is a great saw and you can't go wrong with it. But, there is no substitute for cubic inches and horse power. The 385XP will do some things that will challenge the 372XP.

I went through a similiar evaluation and chose the 385XP (so my perspective is slightly biased).

JQ

CAD Alert!!!

If a 350 is your biggest saw and then you get a 385XP, that will leave a HUGE gap which will need to be filled with AT LEAST 3 more saws! I see a 357XP/359, 372XP and possibly something white/orange or black/red in your future. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Or you could just get the 365 Special for now. Nice saw. You might not need anything bigger.

:givebeer:

Last edited:
I have a medium saw Husky 350, a small Husky 142, and now Im looking for a big guy. There are a couple USED ones I was looking at. 272xp, 385xp, 365 special. The 385 is the biggest and also most expensive. Can I go wrong with any of these? Thanks

I'd forget the 365 option, unless it is cheap, so you can put a 372xp top end on it.

The 272xp is a pretty old design, but still a very good saw.

The 385xp is much heavier than the others, and I think you soon will want something between that one, and the 350 - sound like the right way to go, to feed CAD.....:laugh::laugh::yoyo:

Last edited:
372XP, you might put down a couple more dollars, but get a good one.

The 385XP might be beyond what you need and you'll end up wanting a 372 anyway.........CAD.......CAD.......CAD...........CAD:dizzy:

If the 365 is significantly cheaper than the 372, gett the 365. IMO there is not enough difference between the two to pay big bucks for. But, if they are close to the same price, get the 372. I can't speak for the 385,but, if you've been doing fine with a 450, odds are you'll be pretty impressed with the 365/372 and don't need the 385.Just my opinion.

I'd forget the 365 option, unless it is cheap, so you can put a 372xp top end on it.

Ah, the poor old 365 never gets any respect. Which is why is might be the best value among the saws you mentioned. It is pretty much a 372 minus 6cc's, and is much closer in performance than it is usually given credit for.

The 272XP ought to be slightly quicker than the 365, but being an older saw, it may have a good deal more time on it than the 365, so that should be a consideration.

Ah, the poor old 365 never gets any respect.

:chainsaw:

True, except from people who have actually owned them. Saws, not specs, are what cut wood. The 365 is smoother and slightly lighter than the 372, making it a joy to use. It does cut a tiny bit slower, but even back to back it's hard to notice that much difference. I'll never sell mine.

True, except from people who have actually owned them. Saws, not specs, are what cut wood. The 365 is smoother and slightly lighter than the 372, making it a joy to use. It does cut a tiny bit slower, but even back to back it's hard to notice that much difference. I'll never sell mine.

This is true. The difference is nothing to sing praise of.

True, except from people who have actually owned them.

Exactly Doug. Anyone who has run them both doesn't notice much of a difference until the wood starts to get bigger.

As a little side note, Husky has "uncanceled" the 365 Special and brought a limited number of them into the US. They don't even have it on the dealer site, and there were no faxes or e-mails. My rep just told me that they were going to bring some in, so I took a dozen of them. (and I think they are all gone already) They are about $150 less than the current cost of the 372, so it's a really good deal for a guy who wants a larger saw without the larger price tag.

Go with the 385, far better to just start at the top:cheers:

I have used both, the 372 blows away the 365 in much the same manner that the 266XP blew away the 61 back in the day. I have ran them all day, no contest. The 365 does make a great parts saw for the 372. Anyways, he was talking about the 272. If it is in good shape, it will be a better saw than the 365.

I have run all these saws, at work for many hours, probably have a few thousand hours on Husky saws, I ain't a weekend warrior/few cords of wood kind of guy. There is a reason why the XP saws cost more, and if you have worked them all you can tell, real fast.

I have used both, the 372 blows away the 365 in much the same manner that the 266XP blew away the 61 back in the day. I have ran them all day, no contest. The 365 does make a great parts saw for the 372. Anyways, he was talking about the 272. If it is in good shape, it will be a better saw than the 365.

I have run all these saws, at work for many hours, probably have a few thousand hours on Husky saws, I ain't a weekend warrior/few cords of wood kind of guy. There is a reason why the XP saws cost more, and if you have worked them all you can tell, real fast.

True about the XP's, but the 365 is pretty much and xp in my book, only diff is a larger bore on the 372

Not that much difference. You would have to actually have them side by side to know a difference. If you ran the 365 today, and the 372 tomorrow.... you wouldn't be able to tell much difference. They would have to be side by side to see it.

I'm new to running Huskys after running Stihls for 27/28 years. But one thing about Husqvarna I have learned if its got XP on it then its the best in its class versus their non XP models.

I have used both, the 372 blows away the 365

I've owned three 372's and two 365's and disagree with "blows away".
Comparing stock saws the 372 is faster, but IMHO not nearly enough to justify a 20% price difference. Modified, now that's a different animal.

Latest posts

Back