Which is better for hardwoods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is best for hardwoods?

• Total voters
Torque is actually meaningless. Don't believe me? Weld a 3" bolt to a 1" thick plate of steel, get a 20 foot breaker bar and put it on the nut, and dangle off the end of the bar. If you weight 150 pounds, that's 150 x 20 = 3000 foot pounds of torque. Come back and tell me how that 3000 foot pounds works out for you. :msp_biggrin:
If torque were meaningless all engines would be the same size, saws too. Then I guess there would be no need for diesel engines either. Speaking of torque what saws have you run?

If torque were meaningless all engines would be the same size, saws too. Then I guess there would be no need for diesel engines either. Speaking of torque what saws have you run?

Don't remember all the saws I've run, but I have a lot of time in 2 different 272xps, a 394xp, an 034, a sachs dolmar 120super and 133. Why?

Don't remember all the saws I've run, but I have a lot of time in 2 different 272xps, a 394xp, an 034, a sachs dolmar 120super and 133. Why?
if you have run the bigger saws then you understand how important torque is, because even a lower rpm bigger cube saw, can outcut one not that much smaller, which starts with more rpm, but drops off faster. Due to the higher torque level. The higher torque level, keeps the rpm from dropping. My 2101 is 10,500 rpms. My 660 was 13 k. The 2101 outcut my 660, the rpm's don't drop.

if you have run the bigger saws then you understand how important torque is, because even a lower rpm bigger cube saw, can outcut one not that much smaller, which starts with more rpm, but drops off faster. Due to the higher torque level. The higher torque level, keeps the rpm from dropping. My 2101 is 10,500 rpms. My 660 was 13 k. The 2101 outcut my 660, the rpm's don't drop.

But, torque with no horsepower = no cutting. :msp_biggrin:

Rudolf Diesel was a thermal engineer who sought an engine design with a higher thermal efficiency. Increased torque was merely a by product, albeit a good one.

Well, I got to say I found this poll interesting, and the answers are nowhere near I thought they'd be. What is further interesting is that most people post the same ideas, but select one of two poll options.

Back