Which is the better of the two?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benelli7d

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've been reading on here a while and all of your knowledge is impressive. I'm an old fart too and want light saw with power and reliability and have landed on either an Echo 501p or a 590. So, what I'd like to know is which is the better saw and why? Thanks for your anticipated input in advance!

no experience with the 501, but I have a stock 590, and I love it with a 20". I'm only recommending ECHO for the reliabilility and parts availibility. Not doing stihl any longer, and or John Deere, or Caterpillar. I have all three and am stuck with them, and their licensing agreements which make it real hard to source parts. I dont use a dealer for repairs, and avoid them for parts when I can. Not intersted in being captive by licensing agreemenbts for a standard 1/4 20- thread nut or bolt.

I've been reading on here a while and all of your knowledge is impressive. I'm an old fart too and want light saw with power and reliability and have landed on either an Echo 510p or a 590. So, what I'd like to know is which is the better saw and why? Thanks for your anticipated input in advance!
What are you doing with the saw mostly? What size and type of wood are you cutting, and how much? Is your main concern weight of saw or ability to cut bigger wood faster?

I have several echos, including a 590. Good saws very reliable. If you only have 1 saw a 590 is a good all around saw. The 501 is lighter and more nimble. You will be able to run the 501 longer (likely) in a given day, but if you are bucking moderate sized wood the 590 would cut just as much if not more wood in a shorter time.

IDK, but, if you're not commercially cutting every single day, it matters little. Heck I haven't held or ran the 501, so my opinion is of little value. I'll offer this, perhaps spmeone esle will chime in wiht the exact differences, ask them if the average user will actually notice the differences? I have ten saws I use, and I am not into modding any of them for any reason. I used to muff mod and mildly port, once a machine needed opened up for whatever reason, but for a hobby? Not worth the time any more. If I need more power I grab the bigger saw. I can switch a saw for the log or tree at hand. If you are looking at one primary, the 60 cc 590 is a good relaible saw, if you need a bigger saw, the tree istelf is also going to be heavy to work with blocking up big rounds- its just snowballs.

For me, the reliability is king, and I can buy anything I want, and lots of them, but why be wasteful?

I've been reading on here a while and all of your knowledge is impressive. I'm an old fart too and want light saw with power and reliability and have landed on either an Echo 501p or a 590. So, what I'd like to know is which is the better saw and why? Thanks for your anticipated input in advance!

It's a 50cc versus a 60cc. 501 is true pro saw version of 490/4910. 590 is farm/ranch version of the 601. 590 is about the most saw you can get for the money. Not the lightest or fastest but reliable as most echoes are. For me and my age if cost was no issue I would get the 501.

One other thing, why is a 590 so much les $ than the 501?
501 is the pro grade optioned out 4910
590 is the lower grade of the hotter 620 pro grade optioned out.

So on same levels 590 and 4910 and both have different uses IMO

Depends on your uses. Both great saws 590 4910 or even 501 620

The 501p is Echo's 50cc pro saw and it's the lightest saw in that class on the market.

The 501p has a rubber covered metal wrap handle instead of the 4910's polymer, it's tuned better than the 4910, and it has captured bar nuts.

The 590 is the Farm & Ranch detuned/down spec'd version of the 620p pro saw.

If you can afford the few extra bucks I'd get the 501p in 18" or the 620p in 20" or 24".

A tree service company gave me a CS-590 that looked like it had been through the war in Iraq. I had to replace the tank housing, the chain brake handle, and the bar and chain that was mangled. After a good carb tune up, it runs today. It is amazing to me how these companies can beat up their saws and even more amazing how they can still be repaired to run again. A new one would have cost only $120 more than the parts I bought, but they liked the saw and wanted to see if I could restore it. Needless to say, I did not charge them the dealer's posted labor rate.

Back