Which Jonsered saws are actually made by Jonsered?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just fired up a clean looking Jonsereds 461E last night. The saw came in a bit ago all together so my buddy tore it down to the short block and gave it a once through. I checked the piston from the ports and boy was it clean! It sounds good and has got to be one of the smoothest running saws I have ever held on to. It is a bit on the heavy side but surely worth it for the smoothness factor. I hope to get it in some wood next week sometime after the storm passes.

The next piece on the bench is a Jonsereds 49SP I think it is. It fired off with a dose of fuel so I hope it runs just as smooth as the first one did.

Last edited:
That one surely is a pure one. The last pure (old-style) one to be introduced likely was the 910 (1979), but that one just lasted about 3 years, before the Partner and Husky influenced 920 replaced it.

The 510 was introduced the same year, and resulted in a series of saw that ended with the 535 - but that is a story that most Jonsered(s) fans want to forget.....

My first saw was a Jonsereds 520sp that I bought new in 1983. I used it to cut firewood for 23 years before it gave up the ghost. In all of that time I only performed routine maintenance. I must admit that I am not a very demanding user. I only cut softwoods, mostly smaller diameter (less than 18"), and for that work it had plenty of power. It wasn't until I started reading posts here that I realized that I should have been unhappy with the saw. As it was, I used the saw for many years in blissful ignorance.

It is sometimes said that happiness lies not in having want you want, but in wanting what you have. Hanging out here has led me to lust after much better saws. While this is resulting in an improved collection of saws it is not making me any happier. I was happier when I was using my cheap 520sp, living with the pleasant delusion that I had a great little saw. :msp_tongue:

Doug

Latest posts

Back