which knot to use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptjeep

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a long 3/4" rope that i use to aid in dropping trees from time to time and i need a knot that can leave a loop in the middle of the rope but still be able to undo once the rope has been pulled on. I normally use a bow line or running bow line but with such a long rope, sometimes i need a loop in the middle. Any thoughts? I normally use a ratchet strap or a truck to pull with so i dont want a knot that i wont be able to untie. I've already got one rope i had to cut because of this. Thanks

I have a long 3/4" rope that i use to aid in dropping trees from time to time and i need a knot that can leave a loop in the middle of the rope but still be able to undo once the rope has been pulled on. I normally use a bow line or running bow line but with such a long rope, sometimes i need a loop in the middle. Any thoughts? I normally use a ratchet strap or a truck to pull with so i dont want a knot that i wont be able to untie. I've already got one rope i had to cut because of this. Thanks

Alpine Butterfly Loop | How to tie the Alpine Butterfly Loop | Climbing Knots

Easy to tie and untie after it's been loaded. Or just tie a bowline on a bight.

I use a bowline on a bight for pulling. Because a heavily loaded bowline (on bight, or not) can be a total b*itch to untie, I almost always double the first loop--the hole that the rabbit comes out of. Double that loop and you'll be able to undo your bowline no matter how heavily loaded.

I use a port a wrap for the application you describe. No reason really, takes about the same time as the alpine butterfly or bowline on a bight, it just seems easier sometimes.

If you are pulling on it with your truck sounds like you are putting a pretty good load on it. Alpine Butterfly is a great knot and one of my favorites but you may consider a
Directional Figure 8 Loop
for this. Probably side loads better here, easy to tie midline and perhaps stronger for use on your 3/4" rope.

Mr. Jolly's got the same answer i would offer. Alpine butterfly.

Don't call me MR., I work for a living.

Alpine is great, and I would agree that a bight ended bowline with an extra wrap is good for a truck pull.

Just watch your holding wood if you're putting that much pull on it. If you are having to cut knots out of a 3/4 bullrope you are putting some serious pull on, might want to look at other techniques, just sayin...

I run the end through a tow shackle, and tie it back on it's self with a blake's hitch, then I pull the slack through the blake's. Much easier to adjust, so you can get a full pull in a tight spot.

I like to use a figure 8 on a bight for a mid rope loop, although an alpine butterfly will work as well.

Another option you may want to consider if you have a second rope, is to put a prussic loop on your mainline and then attach the prussic loop to the truck with the second rope. You can adjust the position of the prussic as necessary and if you overload it, the prussic will begin to slip, preventing further damage.

I use a bowline on a bight for pulling. Because a heavily loaded bowline (on bight, or not) can be a total b*itch to untie, I almost always double the first loop--the hole that the rabbit comes out of. Double that loop and you'll be able to undo your bowline no matter how heavily loaded.

Yes, this will work and you really don't have to change knots, my friend called it a double bowline.

You simply twist the doubled loop and spread it apart. Its a great way to make a loop anywhere in the rope to hook a wench or a machine to. Why not a com a long instead of a ratchet strap?

Perhaps a bit off-topic but for joining two ropes I recently learned the zeppelin bend and I love it... Not sure bout ultra heavy loading but so far so good! Fast, easy, simple to undo after moderate loading(like the bowline), and surprisingly a lot of tree guys don't know it!?! Great knot to have in your bag of tricks...;)

Love the bowline on a bite and the alpine butterfly also... Can't say enuf about having the right knot for the task at hand!!! Our faller is always callin me over to tie "one of them fancy knots"...:msp_biggrin:

Also love the rope-along!

And I got to say...I'm always surprised what a wedge can do!!!!

And a couple of push sticks can do wonders also... Now I'm WAY off-topic, oops!

Last edited:
sence i have learned the alpine butterfly i use it all the time with no problems or regrets but i also always cary a barlow shackler knife that i got from my grandpa just in case i get a knot stuck the pick workes good and it just stayes in my pocket

The old stick trick works good on a bowline, just stick a stick in the first loop(rabbit hole)when you tie it. I like using the knotless truckers hitch and a pulley or two then you rarely need a truck to pull and the knot comes out no matter how hard you pull.

Latest posts

Back