Which log splitter should I get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know on good authority that Speeco only assembles in the USA. Most of their parts come from China and India. I would expect Northern to be similar at least for the consumer stuff. Not that this is a bad thing as long as they have good supplier quality control but let's not say they are american made.

based upon feedback from loads of folks, speeco/huskee and northern makes good splitters that hold up very well for the long term. these are american splitter made by local folks that use american parts. my 35 ton speeco has a 12in I beam and 6in ram. don't think that's breaking anytime soon.

I stand corrected... you are right of course. any mfg that wishes to stay competitive price wise, has no choice but to outsource components overseas.

don't know about northern, but I've spoken at length with speeco engineers. Speeco is an american company employing local folks.

I know on good authority that Speeco only assembles in the USA. Most of their parts come from China and India. I would expect Northern to be similar at least for the consumer stuff. Not that this is a bad thing as long as they have good supplier quality control but let's not say they are american made.

NEWS from CPSC
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
Office of Information and Public Affairs Washington, DC 20207
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 24, 2007
Release #07-243

Firm's Recall Hotline: (800) 350-8739
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

Additional Incidents Prompt Log Splitter Recall Expansion by Brave Products; Could Pose Serious Injury Risk
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Log Splitters

Units: About 8,000 (4,000 additional units were recalled in February 2005)

Manufacturer: Brave Products Inc., of Streator, Ill.

Hazard: The log splitter's hydraulic cylinders can have defective rod retention, causing the seals to leak and the rods to detach. This can result in serious injury to the operator, as the rod can rapidly and unexpectedly extend the splitting wedge.

Incidents/Injuries: Brave Products has received 59 additional reports of leaking cylinders and/or rod retention failure. One consumer reported a hand amputation that could have been caused by this cylinder defect.

Description: The log splitters are made of steel and painted orange and black, or blue and black. They have trailer hitches and rubber tires. Each log splitter has a decal on the side that reads "Brave Products, Inc." or "Iron & Oak" and "__ ton" (either 15, 22, 26, or 34). The following Brave Products or Iron & Oak models are included in the recall:
LOG SPLITTER MODEL SERIAL NUMBER
Brave VH0234 (34 ton) Serial #S008277 through S016976
Brave VH0634 (34 ton) Serial #S026956 through S030562
Brave VH9926 (26 ton) Serial #S006836 through S017534
Brave VH0626 (26 ton) Serial #S026965 through S030558
Brave VH9922 (22 ton) Serial #S006691 through S016862
Brave VH0622 (22 ton) Serial #S026426 through S030701
Brave SR0622 (22 ton) Serial #S020721 through S029688
Brave HB0115 (15 ton) Serial #S013853 through S017534

http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PREREL/prhtml07/07243.html

This splitter was built before the recall. Thanks for pointing that out though.

I believe i paid 3000.00 for my Am36 w/11horse honda.Accesories include log lift ,4way wedge,front and rear recievers for transport.I like it but it has a definite job to do.When i split it may run 20 face cords steady(at least 1.5 tandem loads), then not get run again for awhile. Like anything its all in what you want to acomplish at the end of the day.There all good till they start vibrating apart. Bill

Thanks for all the replies. I looked at a used Brave today it was the older style with 8hp briggs and 4.5' cyl. Don't know the about the pump they said it could be 13gpm? The splitter is in good overall shape and they want $850. I might just get this and see how much splitter I need. I can always sell this for what I have in it.

They (the local chainsaw shop) also sell new Brave splitters. The older one looked much more "beefy" that the new one. So any one know about Brave splitters? I don't know the model # but it was 8hp, "24ton", 4.5 cyl. and around 13gpm.

Thanks for all the replys.

With the exception of the aforementioned recall, Brave splitters are built like a rock. Personally I would not hesitate to but a used one or a new one.

With the exception of the aforementioned recall, Brave splitters are built like a rock. Personally I would not hesitate to but a used one or a new one.

+1. I have yet to meet an unhappy Brave owner. Their products seem to last a heck of a long time. I was looking for something along those lines before this followed me home today:

Timberwolf_1.jpg

computeruser Nice splitter. How many gallons of oil does it holed?

I know my 22 ton Speeco is light duty, but for under a grand it works very well. I've now used my splitter for about 3 weeks now without a hiccup.

Last edited:
True cycle times vary with the length and split-ability of the wood. A 16 gpm 2-stage pump with a 5"bore cylinder will produce approx. 6 tons of force before down shifting to approx.4 gpm.

The width of the wedge and the size of the push plate oposite the wedge will effect the tonnage required to split the wood, effecting cycle times. A narrow wedge and small push plate will require the least tonnage but often a full stroke to split. While a wide wedge and a wide push plate will require greater tonnage but will often pop the wood with less than a full stroke.

True cycle times 14 to 37 seconds.

computeruser Nice splitter. How many gallons of oil does it hold?

I know my 22 ton Speeco is light duty, but for under a grand it works very well. I've now used my splitter for about 3 weeks now without a hiccup.

5gallons in a pressurized hydraulic system. I was splitting in 85+ degree heat and the cylinder and hoses never got above barely warm.

computeruser what are the specs on your new splitter?

Looks very nice.:bowdown:

5.5hp Honda GX, 11gpm pump, 4" cylinder, removeable 4-way wedge. 20 ton with 12 second (per my watch) no-load cycle time.

Also what is the true Cycle time with a 16gpm pump and a 5in Cyl?

Slow. I know that most folks aren't in a terrible hurry when splitting for personal use, but I think that the rhythm you get into when splitting is probably better suited to a faster 10-15second cycle time, and maybe even faster than that. I'd personally prefer a 4" or maybe 4.5" cylinder with the 16gpm pump, and a 22gpm or 28gpm for a 5" cylinder. Faster speed comes in handy if you're splitting stuff smaller, or splitting stuff that pops apart easily.

Ask for the rental history on the ebay one. Looks like a nice, heavy duty machine but it is a RENTAL.

Assuming they changed the oil and hydraulic fluid often enough, I suspect that it should still be fine. What would concern me more would be how nasty that cylinder rod looked, and how they had it extended. Hopefully they don't store it that way, 'cause those rods do not benefit from corrosion.

Last edited:
Well they want over $1800 for the one on ebay. I'm thinking I should buy a New one from northern tool for the same price. A little slower but its new with a warranty and has not been rented out for three years. The ebay one is heavy duty but I'm not thinking that it is worth 1800+. Thoughts?

If you can afford it I would opt for the big unit from Northern Tool. The Honda GX engine as well as the availability of the 4-way wedge make it very versatile. Note also that the larger units tend to be a bit heavier. How do you plan to move this around your property? Will you be working by yourself? I tip my lighter HarborFreight model up to vertical myself as well as roll it around manually, but it is not exactly a picnic. Mine weighs about 500 but the larger 30-37 ton models often weigh over 600 lbs.

I've had my share of problems with my unit but I got it very cheap and it has split everything I've needed to. I've worked with a logger splitting butt ends and crotch pieces, etc. There is very little that my splitter hasn't split (22-24 ton model).

MarkG

I just saw that I never replied to your post. I'm looking at the large splitter from northern now, it does look versatile and well made. I have a small cub tractor that I will be pulling the splitter around with so 500+lbs should be ok.
Thanks for your reply.

looks like you're back to the same place again. without a doubt max bang for the $$ is northern 37ton or 35ton speeco.

with northern 37ton being the nicer unit. it's got a slightly smaller ram vs 35ton speeco for faster cycle times.

unless you are planning on doing production firewood duties. slower cycle times will not make a huge difference. if you've got say 30 cords to split... cycle times becomes a major factor.

doubt if I'll split more than 10 cords a year.

I want to buy a log splitter in the next couple of weeks, but I don't know which one to get. I split a lot of large rounds that a tree service drops off so it needs to have some power. I have narrowed it down to these splitters:

1. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200316905_200316905

This splitter is 20tons with a 4x24in ram 11gpm pump. After shipping $1337.36

2. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200326288_200326288

This is a 22ton splitter with the same size ram and bore as the 20 ton:bang:
But you can add a 4 way if needed. After shipping $1440.71

3. http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=5&paID=1037&sonID=778&page=1&productID=30196

I have a TSC next to my house but when I went there it was a 4.5x24in ram with a 11gpm pump with a 18 sec cycle time. it was about $1400.

4. http://http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=116418-270-24BF572B711

I belive this is a 4.5x24in ram with a 5.5 honda and 11gpm pump. price is 1422.03 with tax.

So if you have any input I would like to hear it. Or if you know of one that I have not seen let me know. I would like to keep the price under $1500.00 Thanks!
I would prefer ripping big blocks with a chainsaw verses getting them to and loading the log splitter whatever position it is in. Especially if you are just getting them down to size for an outdoor burner. I have a 26 ton splitter less then 2 years old and it sits most of the time even when I split wood for sale.
There are times I need it for stringy wood. I sell about 90% of the wood I split and most of the time they want it split mostly small and medium sizes and operating standard splitters like the ones mentioned it takes to much time with only 1 person. The splitter is running and you have to get the wood to it, move it etc. I believe you can spend less money, have a premium chainsaw, and less work in the long run. And then you can start a new tread "which saw to buy for ripping blocks"

Well, I do use a saw to rip large rounds down, my OWB is a smaller one so I need to split small. Thanks for you input.

Latest posts

Back