Which log splitter should I get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After looking at many of those models I settled on a Troy Built from Lowes. It is a 27 Ton with a 5.5 Honda. I think I paid barely over $1000 with the discounts they gave me. Works great.

after reading the posts i went and bought the northern tool northstar 30ton nice looking machine,if only the 1st step in assembly could have been completed without a problem the axle was oversized so wheel would not fit . Just posting to see if anybody else has had problems. Sending me a new axles with tank but bummed about having to wait to use machine. Will do local business next time. Still might if i dont recieve parts to fix it this week.

after reading the posts i went and bought the northern tool northstar 30ton nice looking machine,if only the 1st step in assembly could have been completed without a problem the axle was oversized so wheel would not fit . Just posting to see if anybody else has had problems. Sending me a new axles with tank but bummed about having to wait to use machine. Will do local business next time. Still might if i dont recieve parts to fix it this week.

Hope you have good luck. The axle was too big? That sounds weird. When you get it running let me know how hot it gets after a hour of use. Also do not use ATF just a good hyd oil.

I had just had the second control valve go bad on me this weekend; lasted 30min.

See this thread: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=53686

I have the same one 046 has and am very happy with it nothing has stopped it its no speed demon but thats no big deal 1 plus on it is the plastic fenders they dont bend and break off with the first half round that falls on them also I put a cradle on the far side and that helps a lot.

I have the 25 ton ramsplitter with the gx 8hp honda. was about 2.5 weeks order to my driveway. Quality was great and I have about 10 cord of very hard curly maple through it. FWIW I thing doug has gotten his act together. His receptionist was very helpful too. just my .02, it's one hell of a deal for 1700 delivered.
JC

I have the 25 ton ramsplitter with the gx 8hp honda. was about 2.5 weeks order to my driveway. Quality was great and I have about 10 cord of very hard curly maple through it. FWIW I thing doug has gotten his act together. His receptionist was very helpful too. just my .02, it's one hell of a deal for 1700 delivered.
JC

What are the specs on your unit?

I sold the SpeeCo splitters for years at TSC. You can't break the 22 ton. During the demo days I was spltting 30" sugar maple with tons of knots. We had more trouble with the Honda motor than anything else with the splitters. The Briggs started easy and was very reliable. If something broke on the splitter and wasn't covered by warranty, you should be able to find all replacement parts in a hardware or TSC store. To all who are considering a new splitter give the Huskee/SpeeCo splitters a second look. If you have any questions please let me know, I sold/assembled hundreds of them. I don't work for TSC anymore if you are wondering.

I sold the SpeeCo splitters for years at TSC. You can't break the 22 ton. During the demo days I was spltting 30" sugar maple with tons of knots. We had more trouble with the Honda motor than anything else with the splitters. The Briggs started easy and was very reliable. If something broke on the splitter and wasn't covered by warranty, you should be able to find all replacement parts in a hardware or TSC store. To all who are considering a new splitter give the Huskee/SpeeCo splitters a second look. If you have any questions please let me know, I sold/assembled hundreds of them. I don't work for TSC anymore if you are wondering.

Why do they install the oil filter before the pump? Why not just in the return line? That did't make sence to me. :monkey:

Why do they install the oil filter before the pump? Why not just in the return line? That did't make sence to me. :monkey:

I don't know, but to me it makes sense to put it there. You don't know what is going into the tank, there could be rust flakes or something that fell down the fill hole that could ruin your pump or valve. Putting the filter after the pump I think would be disastrous, and a very expensive design flaw. But again I am no engineer, so I can't say for sure where the filter should be.

I don't know, but to me it makes sense to put it there. You don't know what is going into the tank, there could be rust flakes or something that fell down the fill hole that could ruin your pump or valve. Putting the filter after the pump I think would be disastrous, and a very expensive design flaw. But again I am no engineer, so I can't say for sure where the filter should be.

Disastrous? 95% of all splitters put the filter in the return line. It seems it would be hard on the pump to me. But I am not a engineer either.

Disastrous? 95% of all splitters put the filter in the return line. It seems it would be hard on the pump to me. But I am not a engineer either.

We have an old MTD that has the filter before the pump, I guess it probably depends on the filter and size of inlet hose how fast the fluid can pump. If I remember right, the lines going to the pump are 1/2" and the return line is 3/4", the filter on the SpeeCo is pretty good size and if you take off the hose it pours pretty easily. One thing I did like about the SpeeCo filter is that it is out of the way and could not break it off very easy like the MTD.

I agree with you though on making the pump work harder, so I don't know where the best place for it to be is. An argument can be made either way, but I can make a call if you would like, I still have the SpeeCo reps number, I think. Or there technical department is great as well.

The best place to put the filter is on the intake side of the pump, like PlantBiologist said it cleans the oil before it inters to the pump.

Well anyway, I should have gotten a SpeeCO, no matter where the filter is. Live and learn I guess.

My brother has a Lickety Log Splitter, It's the best splitter I have ever used. It has very fast cycle times, it's auto cycling, and it returns to idle on the reverse stroke, it was made in 1968 and it runs perfect. You can lower the whole beam to the ground so you can roll a big log on to it, it's a neat machine. I'll sap some pics of it the next time I go out cutting with him.

rx7145 The splitter can be towed just like any other splitter.

ATF should be fine.

I built one not to long ago, 16GPM pump, 8 horse motor and 4.5" 3000psi cylinder. There wasnt anything I threw at it that it wouldnt split.

I think youll be happy with what youve got. Make sure you end with all the fingers you start with.

attachment.php

Not me at the controls, and Ive since sold it. I am going to probably start building another one this winter if I get bored.

how much does one like this cost to build?

The cost of building a splitter depends on your skill and the cost of the components. If all new components are used the cost will be about $1000 for a basic splitter. If you can scronge up good used parts the cost will drop somewhat.

Back