Which of these Solo 681s looks fastest and strongest?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which of these Solo 681s looks fastest?

• Saw #1

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Saw #2

Votes: 27 71.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good advice Tommy. I appreciate it. I offered to make this right but never had the chance. But like I said, the saw is only a symptom, not the real issue.

But sometimes a little self evaluation is in order. Your no victim here so don't even go there. Let this thing go away please. Only you can re-ignite another round...you can also go a long way in letting this stop.

Last edited:
I just procrastinated and never got around to sending you the cylinder. I was never angry. Once Eric offered to build the saw my mind was made up that I wanted him to do it. But the saw and the builder mumbo jumbo is not what bothered me, you know this, everyone knows this. It's the way you behaved with PMing me your conversation with Eric and then starting a thread like this. It was the way you handled yourself Brad. Your recent actions spoke for themselves. I know you just said you're sorry to me, but those two things really put a bad taste in my mouth.

I still have the cylinder. It's been sitting in the same spot since June. I wanted to give it to Dan so he could pass it along to you this past Christmas break. I don't know now. I think I might wanna keep it. I'll never use it, but it's built up some sentimental value for me these days and it seems a little tough to part with.

If / when I get rid of it Brad, you'll be the first to know as it will be headed in your direction.

I strongly suggest that this thread gets locked now please. I'm off to go kick it with the new Dr. Dre. :cheers:

I'm not saying that with beef Jason. I was just making that as a statement of fact. You've been more than curtious from the beginning. You wanted Eric to port the new topend and I'm fine with that. Perhaps you shouldn't sent the P&C back. The only thing I'd want with it is to put it on another saw and prove Eric wrong. That wouldn't be productive, and would only serve to continue this fight. I wanted it back until now, just to do that. So do me a favor and don't return it. OK?

Like anything else though Dyno's can be manipulated to read false. I have a friend that has a motorcycle dyno shop and he's showed me how people cheat with those dyno sheets. Dyno's don't show real world performance, if you get into street bikes you'll see what I'm talking about. Peak Hp only gets you so far.

That is true, but if done correctly it can be used as an constant. Unlike trying a saw out in a log. Correlations can be drawn from the reading, thus making more educated assumptions. A dyno is not really built to show all the exact measurements of hp or torque, but more less a constant in a way to minimize error in readings.

I heard he shared the PM's with the mods and owner here trying to get Eric banned. I guess that was one way to eliminate the competition:)

One question though why would you send PM's that had nothing to do with this site to the moderators here... It didn't make any sense to me. And yes I did get fowarded some PM's and have read them... Your a low life Brad:confused:

I hope today's Sunday Sermon did you some good...LOL

That's news to me, I never got any pm's forwarded to me.(thankfully)

That is true, but if done correctly it can be used as an constant. Unlike trying a saw out in a log. Correlations can be drawn from the reading, thus making more educated assumptions. A dyno is not really built to show all the exact measurements of hp or torque, but more less a constant in a way to minimize error in readings.

As an adjunct to this, the best use of a dyno is for direct comparison within a dyno's paradigm...each dyno has its own characteristics so the way most tuners I have worked with use the dyno is to compare one torque & horsepower curve to another weather its from motor to motor or from tuning change to tuning change..ON The Same Dyno! .As soon as you move from one dyno to another, things go subjective. You see this with motorcycle magazines, they may come up with similar numbers on horse power for a particular brand and model of motorcycle..the readers want to compare from one magazine test to another and use those numbers as absolute fact, but its usually not realistic. Too many variables to draw absolute conclusions comparing across two different dyno's with two different sets of conditions, air pressure, heat all kinds of things. BUT you can see from those numbers a clue about the way the thing will be...does it have high rpm over rev? is it a mid range "torque" design..etc. Nothing like seeing the overlay of five 250's on the same chart generated from the same dyno to get a sense as to the differences in power characteristics...a clue maybe, but a really good one.

Having said that, if a builder has a dyno, all that's really possible is to tell the power characteristics from one session to the next..but that in of itself is really powerful data if you know whats been changed. A tangible way to measure and quantify the effects of one particular change or another as you develop a build or want to repeat a build.

No reason we can't do that here over time.

Last edited:
So no one's digging the new Dre as much as I, eh??

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BuJDaOVz2qY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BuJDaOVz2qY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

That was sweet!

:) that was quite the story back then..especially the next year when Ricky retired after winning 12 moto's straight! Gave Stewart his chance to beat him..then retired. Turns out he was sick with a debilitating disease for quite some time! But he just kept slugging it out until he retired..the guy was..unique in racing history. A great story. Something like 15 national titles. Anyway glad you enjoyed! Post another one! Ur turn.

"Having said that, if a builder has a dyno, all that's really possible is to tell the power characteristics from one session to the next..but that in of itself is really powerful data if you know whats been changed. A tangible way to measure and quantify the effects of a particular change or another as you develop a build or want to repeat a build."

I use a dyno in my line of work, and it is a very useful tool. I use it to make comparisons from previous builds, and to help cut to the chase quickly with tuning. It still doesn't give us all the information we need, as it only represents a "window" of the engines power curve. We still have to put the engines into use and get real World test results from them.

Although I don't build and dyno chainsaw engines, we've found over the years that there is more to setting up an engine to make the most peak HP. More times than not, the engine that produces the most average power in the loaded rpm range, gives us the best results when placed in service in a practical application.

I really love chainsaws, and high performance stuff, and nothing more fun than to have a really powerful saw at your disposal to cut your yearly supply of firewood. I still do not get into porting them at any level, and don't see it necessary for the average guy. Even so, I respect those that do their best to extract the most possible power and work from their equipment.

I'm certain those doing this don't hit a "home run" every single time they get the grinder out. This thread may be pointing that out, but as those of us who make HP for a living know, "you can't make an omelete without breaking a few eggs". What amazes me the most is how much rock throwing we've seen in the responses. Makes me want to NEVER improve the squish on a saws P/C or widen the ports in it, then take it to a CTG and maybe get outrun by someones "stock" saw. I'd have to kill myself on the way home so I didn't have to risk the possibility someone would point out my shortcomings in open forum on this website!.......Cliff

:) that was quite the story back then..especially the next year when Ricky retired after winning 12 moto's straight! Gave Stewart his chance to beat him..then retired. Turns out he was sick with a debilitating disease for quite some time! But he just kept slugging it out until he retired..the guy was..unique in racing history. A great story. Something like 15 national titles. Anyway glad you enjoyed! Post another one! Ur turn.

I met RC and watched him race when he was on 80's.

We still have to put the engines into use and get real World test results from them.

Although I don't build and dyno chainsaw engines, we've found over the years that there is more to setting up an engine to make the most peak HP. More times than not, the engine that produces the most average power in the loaded rpm range, gives us the best results when placed in service in a practical application.

I just remember all those early years where the width, amount, and characteristics of a power band was all the rage...throttle response based on things like ignition timing curves, flywheel effect weights etc to come up with the blend of power and useful power....then along came the four strokes! They had to re-invent the wheel all over again and then pushed the bar yet again...progress....in my old life that was driven by results (or lack of it) at the track. Fact was then and it is now those results really do effect the sales of performance products. Race on Sunday sell on Monday was the old Detroit car deal. Guy's like that Ricky fellow screwed it up when he proved he could win with anything reasonable! Then the local tracks went back to being the gauge the average guy uses...still is that way. If a performance product doesn't work out well in a given area...pretty soon that's common knowledge. It's a rough world out there. I just wish we as a community can get our arms around those types of things as the rest of the racing/motor sports communities have. Numbers vs. arguments. Racing is a way, BUT not the ONLY way..and remember over the years several types of racing evolved...especially in the motorcycle community. Desert racing, motocross, Enduro, Hare Scrambles etc. All representing different types of bikes and ride styles. Maybe it doesn't work here but with the talent we have around here it's only a matter of time...

How about some really OLD embarrassing pics....

167781d1294607375-maico-jpg

Okay Chucker, I dig the Dre!

I just watched that after seeing it 15 times posted. Kinda glad I did. :yourock:

Best part of this whole thread IMO. Though this thread has shown the true colors of ALOT of people. Prolly like 10-15 people. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed that. Some for the good and some for the bad.

Anyways, Dre is da man!

Okay Chucker, I dig the Dre!

I just watched that after seeing it 15 times posted. Kinda glad I did.

:yourock:

Best part of this whole thread IMO. Though this thread has shown the true colors of ALOT of people. Prolly like 10-15 people. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed that. Some for the good and some for the bad.

Anyways, Dre is da man!

:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

I met RC and watched him race when he was on 80's.

Quite a story don't you think? Guess he's not setting the circle track on fire yet. He is the best I've ever seen. I've watched and been involved for many years..remember Watching Joel Robert, Roger DeCoster, Marty Smith, Bob Hannah...you know I'm sure! Jeff Ward, MC, RC, shows my age....:(

BTW..don't think these will blend...

167782d1294607404-vorguts-jpg

Last edited:
The comparison was admitely made 50 tanks of fuel and months later after the saw was bought from me. The videos you have show a different story. 75% of the viewers agree.

Unbelievable.

That says it all right there. Nothing was learned, nothing will change.

Back to the music...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back