Which pole saw do you suggest?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went and looked at the Stihls yesterday. They would have to order the Echo.

Echo PPT260: 25.4 cc engine, 16.9 lbs without bar and chain $550

Stihl HT101: 31.4 cc engine, 16.2 lbs supposedly with 12" bar $600

Stihl HT131: 36.3 cc engine, 16.5 lbs supposedly with 12" bar $650

It's pretty easy to see that the Stihls have the bigger engines and weigh less, but I do like the option of adding the 5' extension bar to the Echo which you can't do on the Stihls (remember I'm a stump man and not a tree climber). I wonder if Stihl is skimping on something to be able to weight less?

Thanks everybody for your input!!! Keep it coming, because I'll probably be deciding and buying next week.

mwm said:
I wonder if Stihl is skimping on something to be able to weight less?

Not likely the case. It generally costs more to weigh less for the same or more power. Echo hasn't really tried to market on power to weight - but have a great reputation on getting the work done. If they cost as much as Stihl they'd have a marketing problem.

The extra power of the HT131 takes nothing away from the utility of the others and is also of no merit if you're 2' short of what you need to cut.

Dang. 5' extension on that Echo would be some kinda LOOOOOOONNNNNGGGG.

Chaser

The power difference between the two really isn't noticeable, nor is the weight. What is noticeable is the Echo has a much more robust pole. The stihl's pole is quite fragile.
You'll find these saws take quite a beating. You're always reaching up and cutting, only to have the branch fall towards your head. The pole saw will get pinched and bumped and knocked around on almost every cut. You want a strong shaft.
We have both brands at the shop where I work and the stihl has lost a pole or two to bending, it is shorter, and doesn't feel quite as nice as the echo. The bigger shaft is just easier to grab on to.
I also think echo motors are built very well. They are also well supported, parts and service seem easy to get.

I have used both and agree the echo has a stronger pole and the motor has enough grunt. Stihl makes a great chainsaw and the motor is nice on the pole saw, but the pole is lacking. As for the extension, the standard extension pole on the echo is 13'8 which when fully extended can give you quite a workout after a few hours. I would not recomend adding any more extensions to that. Swinging over 18' of pole with a chainsaw cutting head is unstable and dangerous. If you need limbs cut that high, get in the tree.

Mike Maas said:
The power difference between the two really isn't noticeable, nor is the weight. What is noticeable is the Echo has a much more robust pole. The stihl's pole is quite fragile.
You'll find these saws take quite a beating. You're always reaching up and cutting, only to have the branch fall towards your head. The pole saw will get pinched and bumped and knocked around on almost every cut. You want a strong shaft.
We have both brands at the shop where I work and the stihl has lost a pole or two to bending, it is shorter, and doesn't feel quite as nice as the echo. The bigger shaft is just easier to grab on to.
I also think echo motors are built very well. They are also well supported, parts and service seem easy to get.

Have you tried the 131?

Last edited:
i'd go with the stihl 101

i run a 14 inch bar on mine and it works great.my buddy has the echo and there is no comparrison.stihl all the way.

Dadatwins said:
I have used both and agree the echo has a stronger pole and the motor has enough grunt. Stihl makes a great chainsaw and the motor is nice on the pole saw, but the pole is lacking. As for the extension, the standard extension pole on the echo is 13'8 which when fully extended can give you quite a workout after a few hours. I would not recommend adding any more extensions to that. Swinging over 18' of pole with a chainsaw cutting head is unstable and dangerous. If you need limbs cut that high, get in the tree.

I agree... it is certainly a workout.

I find that even the 101 I use difficult to manage at full extension, not so much at near vertical, but once it drops below 45 degrees (which it does often while maneuvering). I tore a rotator cuff (shoulder) that took a year to "heal", and it still bothers me.

Personally, from a repair perspective, I like the standard KM units with fixed extensions. There is a recommended limit of one additional extension, but I've seen two, occasionally there (dangerous) being used).

Extend the Echo out and put it on a limb and because of lack of power it chatters before digging in. Put the Stihl on the same limb and because of torgue and power it digs in right away without the shaft damaging chattering that the Echo does. The Stihl is definately the better choice in my opinion.

Echo PPT260: 25.4 cc engine, 16.9 lbs without bar and chain $550
HP ? not listed because they do not generate enough. If I had to guess it would be about 3/4 of a horse

Stihl HT101: 31.4 cc engine, 16.2 lbs supposedly with 12" bar $600
HP 1.3 bhp
Stihl HT131: 36.3 cc engine, 16.5 lbs supposedly with 12" bar $650
HP 1.9 bhp

ENOUGH SAID:jawdrop:

After hearing the concerns that the Stihl pole wasn't strong enough I went back to the store Saturday. This time I pulled out the pole and looked at it. I see what ya'll are saying, because it does seem flimsy. They didn't have an Echo in stock, so I'm looking for one of those in town to be able to compare it.

mwm said:
After hearing the concerns that the Stihl pole wasn't strong enough I went back to the store Saturday. This time I pulled out the pole and looked at it. I see what ya'll are saying, because it does seem flimsy. They didn't have an Echo in stock, so I'm looking for one of those in town to be able to compare it.
Never had a problem with the pole being flimsy. The reason the Echo one looks different is because of a liner on the outside that does not let you see it.

The stihl is a good tool. I was just making the point that abuse WILL cause damage to it. Use it like it's meant to be used and it'll stand up fine.

Just Mow said:
Never had a problem with the pole being flimsy. The reason the Echo one looks different is because of a liner on the outside that does not let you see it.
Uhh, let me think about this... Nope, the Echo's shaft is bigger in diameter and stronger.
I understand the Stihl brand loyalty, and I run a lot of stihls, but this time Echo wins, hands down.
I'll try to get a picture of the two together tomorrow, you'll see what I mean.

Mike Maas said:
Uhh, let me think about this... Nope, the Echo's shaft is bigger in diameter and stronger.
I understand the Stihl brand loyalty, and I run a lot of stihls, but this time Echo wins, hands down.
I'll try to get a picture of the two together tomorrow, you'll see what I mean.
Sorry Mike, I was going off of something that I was told about the Echo shaft.It's not that much of a factor though as the power and the torque of the Stihl outweigh the Echo. I have used both and I will stick with what I have. No offense but I just hate Echo products as they are not of the same quality anymore. JMO.

The echo chainsaws aren't anything to brag about, I mean, they are good saws, just not commercial quality. They definitely are high end homeowner stuff.
The pole saw is a different animal. They bought the basic design from the innovator of the gas powered polesaw from uhh,,, what's the name? Anyway, it was called Power Pruner. I have one I own personally. It's a great saw, about 20 years old.
At work we have 3 or 4 different models. Some stihl, I think two of the new fixed shaft, one of the extendable shaft (2 or 3 years old), and an Echo with the extension shaft. The Echo is the preferred tool, unless you don't need the reach, then the Stihl is better, for power, and the pole isn't likely to bend with the short reach.
Really, the only reason we have them is for road clearance. We ride in the back of a dump truck cutting anything less than 14' high. True tree preservation work. Better then driving down the road with a brush mower, I guess.

I've had two echo pruners before (one a fixed shaft and the other a power head exchange system). They ALWAYS started and never gave me any problems. Looking at the numbers on the Stihl had me pretty much convinced to give them a whirl, but after pulling out the shaft on the 260 it really did look and feel flimsy. I'll look at an Echo as soon as I get a chance and can find one.

Hmmmm, Stihl motor with Echo shaft...............that my be a heck of a combination. :)

I've got the Stihl HT-75. It was the first one my dealer could get his hands on when they were first introduced (around 1997?). I use it for keeping branches out of the fields on our property.
Never had any issues with the strength of the tube itself while in use. Although it doesn't hold up well when you land a branch on it. You also cannot let the saw "chatter" & bounce while in a cut, it will twist the splined drive shaft. Stihl is also very proud of the shaft parts for it.

If you are keeping the same trees trimmed at a regular interval, the pole pruner is only good for several trimmings. Once you cut the low branches off at the trunk, the higher branches will droop down as they grow out. Several years later you cut them off at the trunk, then the cycle repeats itself with the next level of branches.......Pretty soon you cannot reach high enough to cut the branches off.

Ed

After seeing the pole on the Stihl, I started looking for an Echo in stock to compare it too, but couldn't find one. So, I bit the bullet and ordered the Echo after concerns about the Stihl's pole being too flimsy. After receiving it and inspecting it I can definitely tell what ya'll mean. The Echo's pole is much stronger than the Stihl. I haven't even tried it yet, but I wanted to let ya'll know how nice it was to make this purchase after hearing everybody's suggestions. It really helps to get opinions before buying something in this price range. Thanks again.

Also, my Husky 395 came in too :rock:

Whomever stole my 394 and pole saw, you better be careful with them. The Good Lord may let you have an accident so he can go ahead and talk with you one on one.

Latest posts

Back