Which ported 50cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think there's much to discuss. The numbers and the video is out there. People aren't stupid. Its not very hard to read between the lines and see the agenda here. Lots of expert backpedalers.

I know where my saws will go for work. Hopefully everyone that reads all this bull#### will see and be able to make the right decision.

I'm out. These threads are giving me gas and stuff. :rock:

You know what I see coming from this thread. A 550xp build off.

The saw has to be able to be used as a work saw with multiple hardwood cuts over and over and pull 3/8 in a test cant. cant so all wood can be as even as possible. All must use the same stock 3/8 full comp full chisel chain off same reel etc. Reason I say 3/8 chain, because I have seen some ported 346 that dont have the balls to even pull 3/8 chain. I think torque should be in a work saw. :msp_thumbup:

Have fun now. Some have to earn a dollar and disappear for awhile. :rock:

I think that would be an excellent idea.I think for testing 3/8 chain is fine but think a 50cc saw should run .325 for my use.I would have bought the 550xp if it didn't have the AT carb on it.I quess I am still old school and am slow to change.Hell,I am still thinking about getting a cell phone.From what I have read and what I have learned over the years I might just port my NE346xp myself.A little widening,lowering and raising and some work on the transfer tunnels,no base gasket and a muffler mod.Its only a chainsaw,might as well have some fun with it.

From what I have read and what I have learned over the years I might just port my NE346xp myself.A little widening,lowering and raising and some work on the transfer tunnels,no base gasket and a muffler mod.Its only a chainsaw,might as well have some fun with it.

If you want to go that route, I'd be more than happy to help you. It's far more rewarding when you do it yourself!

IMO two tanks of fuel is not even close to showing a saws full potential. We all know the 550 will wake up a good amount with 15-20 tanks ran through it. How many tanks had been ran through the 2153 at the time of the comparison Randy?

I'm not sure how many tanks had been put thru the 2153. It wasn't a new saw though.

I'm sure as the 550 breaks in and loosens up it will gain. Whether or not it could ever beat that 2153 I haven't a clue. I did say that the 2153 was the very best one I've ever done. The planets must have been well alined when I bolted it together.....

I never have said the the 550 is stronger, strongest, or anything of the sort. I just don't feel that it's right for someone to spread misinformation about any of this stuff.

Not just as an opinion.....but as a fact seen by myself and John....the 550XP will gain 40% or more from a proper woods port.

This is what I said about the 550 in Oct of last year in reply to one of John's posts.

I read that you were going to port yours without altering the timing numbers.....I say that the only way to get good gains from this engine is to do it just like the 562s I've built.

I ditch the base gasket and spin a popup to reset squish. Dropping the jug gives you more compression, intake and strato timing......but it maintains the relationship between the intake and strato. I feel that is key to keeping the autotune working as designed.

You can then raise the exhaust and transfers a bit.....

Widening the exhaust port adds to time/area just like raising it does. Too much of either on a work saw and the torque is gone.....

Many times we may think we understand these simple engines.....but we do not have all the data that the designers do. The relationships that they build into an engine with stratified combustion and autotune may have been well planned. Hogging everything in sight out with a Dremel may work on some engines but these take a bit of thought and planning.

After sleeping on this whole deal I've decided that I totally stand by everything I have said on this matter. I didn't wander into this thread looking for a fight, but I saw one man stating his opinion as though it was a fact so I called him on it.

I'm just looking out for the good of the community here.

Period.

Yes Sir.

just because you grind material out, does not mean you will gain.

It is quite possible to go backwards, perhaps more likely to.

Just pick a good 50cc saw, there are several.

Randy clocked 41% better. I got very similar gains from my port work. Truth be known I was very conservative with the die grinder and the squish band. Brad, you have to admit that at one point you said that porting the 441 was for naught, but that turned out to be untrue.

Again, not true. If you go back, you'll find that I've been a major contributor to help dispell that myth.

I'd sum it up like this. Weight's about equal, the 460 has more power stock than the 441 and responds MUCH better to mods. The only things the 441 has going for it is low vibes and better fuel economy. I don't find the vies a problem at all on the 460 so that's out the window. The 460 does use some fuel, but I'll pay that price for the performance. It's a no brainer for me. 460 all the way.

My memory isn't great, but its good enough...

So chances are good that they will both gain a bit and the 2153 will still be a little stouter in the end.

As figured.... But how can yo put a value on how freaking slick these auto tunes are????
I'd work a saw over for 30% though... Gladly...
So 40 is a no brainer.
I pick and run the saws I like...
It's a builders job to make em' run up to my "tolerable" level...

My memory isn't great, but its good enough...

Come on John:( Before I ever started porting saws, the 441 was said to not respond well to mods. I was one of the first to show that it could. I have 441s out there that run as good as anyone's. Never the less, a 460 be can built to run stronger. In no way does that say that the 441 doesn't respond well to mods. It simply says that a 460 responds better.

Last edited:
As figured.... But how can yo put a value on how freaking slick these auto tunes are????
I'd work a saw over for 30% though... Gladly...
So 40 is a no brainer.
I pick and run the saws I like...
It's a builders job to make em' run up to my "tolerable" level...

Auto tunes or iTunes whatever... Mitch lets his Huskys download all the rock & roll they want.

e2uvaqeh.jpg

2153 had 2 tanks through it when Steven got it. No major run time on it.

I put no fuel thru it before I sent it to the boss- Randy. Cranked it when me and mdavlee did the swap- that was it. I wanted Randy to give it the once over before I used it (after my horrible 2095 experience). There are those I would buy used from- builders, mdavlee (cause I know him now), and many I would not (new members- with just a couple post under their belt and noone knows them). But if there is any way possible it will be new saws for me. 2153- hasnt been ran since I got it back.

My 2153 is the strongest the builder has done, and he has stated many times (not just here) that he left a lot on the table with the 550. The 346/2153 build has a lot of r&d in it. The 550 was uncharted territory to an extent. And all the builders had already had experience with the 261 and knew what to do to make it run- and it still falls short in timed cuts out of the group. But the common concensus is the 261 has more useable power/ torque in the woods.

Last edited:
Looks like everybody is awake this morning and ready for "round #2" :popcorn:
[video=youtube_share;voLzLiSSmmM]http://youtu.be/voLzLiSSmmM[/video]

Come on John:( Before I ever started porting saws, the 441 was said to not respond well to mods. I was one of the first to show that it could. I have 441s out there that run as good as anyone's. Never the less, a 460 be can built to run stronger. In no way does that say that the 441 doesn't respond well to mods. It simply says that a 460 responds better.

You come on Brad. You never said anything positive about porting a 441 until Jasha showed it could be made into a runner. Burried deep in the AS archives are those facts. You said the 441 didn't respond well to being ported, then later you took money to port 441s. Do you not even see the similarity to what you have said about the 550 vs. the 346? I do, and I'm fairly sure others do also.

Whatever. You guys will continue to spin everything to say whatever you want it to say.

And this where I have an issue with you and your posts. It's the same every single time......

You post these bold statements and then when someone disagrees and sets out to get even a slight retraction from you they are then perceived (by you) as attacking you personally. I've been here long enough to remember many of these events. I'm not going into detail because I'm not bashing you (you just think I am) or your work. I would just once like to see you say that perhaps you may have overstepped in an assessment in this forum without someone having to drag it from you while you kick and scream.

BTW......I ain't mad at you. I would love to see you do some soul searching here though.

And this where I have an issue with you and your posts. It's the same every single time......

You post these bold statements and then when someone disagrees and sets out to get even a slight retraction from you they are then perceived (by you) as attacking you personally. I've been here long enough to remember many of these events. I'm not going into detail because I'm not bashing you (you just think I am) or your work. I would just once like to see you say that perhaps you may have overstepped in an assessment in this forum without someone having to drag it from you while you kick and scream.

BTW......I ain't mad at you. I would love to see you do some soul searching here though.

Post of the Year material right there.

Latest posts

Back