Which safety gear would you recommend?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as I know, the front mesh visors on the multi-helmets have never been meant to keep out fine sawdust. You need a lexan face shield for that. They keep twigs and branches out of my eyes when I'm working a felled tree, and I appreciate that protection. The Peltor, with its skirt that runs from the top of the visor tight to the helmet, keeps more sawdust from trickling down than the Stihl helmet, and I like the rear flap more to prevent sunburn than shed rain.

I agree the ear flaps are a bit tougher to work than the Stihl helmet's, but it ain't really brain science or rocket surgery. Pretty easy to figure out. :) :)

Bugger, I sat those rocket surgery courses for nothing then

What I wear for farm/ranch cleanup and forest management:

Stihl forestry helmet w/metal mesh shield
Clear safety glasses under the metal mesh
Antivibration gloves
Labonville full-wrap chaps
Steel toe work boots (or chainsaw boots)

+1 on the grey matter bieng the only line of defense.
Everything else is just there to minimize the carnage, if you screw the pooch and have a brain fart.

Husky Forrestry Helmet w/ears and mesh screen.

They aren't quickly adjusted, but once set there's no need to fuss.

It actually helps keep your brain wired to what you're doing.
Your ears not getting pounded, and crap not poking you in the face and eyeballs while cutting and moving around, frees up more attention to be directed at not doing something stupid. Limbing in a thicket with blackberry canes flailing around sux if you keep both hands on the saw where they belong, but less so if your eyeballs and nose aren't getting the "Slap chop" treatment.

GOOD eyepro.

I like Oakley M- frames, but other good eyepro works just as well.
Keeps the fine crap outta the eyeballs, and will reduce the damage/pain from larger high velocity bits.

If you're cutting while blinking out loose dust, you're really just running a friggin chain saw with your eyeballs closed..and distracted, with crap potentially falling on you.
Think about it.

Chaps.
I'm currently running a pair of some seriously Rancid Husky Full wraps, but new and clean models from other makers are good too.
I like 'em, and they make sense if you're not a blithering idiot.

In the winter, they are warm and insulate when kneeling in the snow.
They are great for waddling into a tangle of Greenbrier and Multifloral rose to drop a snag. It's hard to concentrate on felling safely when you're bleeding to death from a thousand thorn lashes, and if you ever have to unass the back cut because of a blowout, you can run through thornapple as fast as Hussein Bolt and not come out looking like a bad Cole slaw.

Ever see a skeeter bite though 5 layers of Kevlar?
One less distraction.;)

Most times when I have screwed up and gotten mangled doing anything, just a little bit less attention and I mighta gotten dead, a little more and I woulda just needed a band aid.

The lid, eyepro, screen, and chaps allow more attention to be given to the task at hand, and buys a bit more room for peripheral awareness to other hazzards that are ALWAYS there.

Chaps, eyepro, helmets, screens are NOT gonna stop a monumental #### up from killing or maiming you. They will however aid your brain in avoiding the MFU in the first place.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Have to agree with Slowp about suspenders. I wear cutting pants (kevlar type), I have both summer and winter insulation levels. They are comfortable, and I can cut all day in them.

I use different gloves depending on the application. Straight up falling, falling gloves (cotton, thin). Firewooding (ie Lot's o' cuts), cutting gloves also from Baileys.

Boots are the Labonville brand chainsaw boots. I actually have a pair that I just wear around town now as they are more comfortable than anything...

Helmet, full brim hardhat with muffs and plugs (thanks for the habit Uncle Sam). And I really like wearing Bugz Eyes because, like suspenders preventing your pants from moving mid-cut, there is nothing worse than having your glasses fog up on you when you are going from looking up to looking down in a cut.

I do have a bright orange cutting shirt that I wear when I am working in a heavily wooded unmaintained track (especially beech groves). It is from Swede-Pro, it's bright, and protective.

Do I go overboard, maybe. I do logging on the side, and a lot more in the fall/winter than in the heat of summer. There are plenty of people out there that use a lot less than that, I just happen to run into them at work, and not in the woods...

I agree with most of the others. I generally use Stihl products because there are a lot of dealerships in my area. I did buy a husky helmet at my local TSC. I got it out to the truck, and opened the box. Thankfully, it was missing a piece because it was a piece of junk. I took it back in without ever leaving the property and drove 5 min across town and bought a stihl helmet for about $2 less. I'm not sure if what TSC sells is the husky helmet that everyone is talking about on this thread, but the one that I had was cheap crap. That was my opinion anyway.

Other than that, for me I wear leather gloves, boots, and chaps and I also wear safty glasses under the shield on my helmet. I do a lot of shooting, so I always have a decent pare of glasses in the truck anyway. Besides, they cay be bought for less than $5 a pair. I've had stuff blow up undernieth the face shield. By itself, the face shield on the helmet will do in a pinch, but I've only got one set of eyes, and I'd like to keep them operational for as long as possible. I also cut alone a lot, so I choose to err on the side of safety.

What!? You consider chaps (or any other safety gear) to be dangerous!? Name me one person that ever planned on cutting their leg off...or planned any less severe accidents? How in the world do you consider safety equipment that doesn't interfere with common sense more dangerous than going without?

Yes, I would rather cut without wearing a layer of gear, but I'd prefer to limit the severity of an accident in case it ever happens (let alone long term eye/ear damage). Hopefully, do to my common sense and attention to safety that will never be an issue, but who can ever be sure an accident won't happen? Who can guarantee what a fellow cutter will do around you in the woods? I'd prefer to take more precaution than risk, but that's just me.

Regardless, thank you for the other constructive posts and specific recommendations. I have used regular apron chaps many times, but never full wrap ones. Is there a specific advantage to the later type that I am missing? The thought of wearing more wrapped around me than I have too seems like an invitation for oveheating, but I'm willing to reconsider if necessary.

I like the foresty style helmets with the mesh face shield and hinged hearing protection. I personally find them easier to adjust than ear buds of any sort...especially when I'm working with others and need to chat on occasion. I know I've used some very nice ones and some really crappy ones...but I never paid attention to branding on borrowed gear. Oops! :)

Please...keep suggestions coming. They are helping narrow down my search for gear. Likewise, I'm curious if there are specific products you've encountered that you'd recommend I avoid.

056 Kid cuts for a living. He has to be ready to run. Most of the cutters or "Pros" as you like to call them around here, and I'm talking fallers on steep ground-- Really steep ground, do not wear chaps or leg protection. I know of one crew that does. One. The trouble is, they have to move or run at times to stay in one piece. They consider it to be more of a danger to get hung up and crushed than cutting a leg. They are not just cutting up firewood or cookies from logs delivered and placed just so in the driveway.

He also cuts in a hot, muggy environment where heat exhaustion is more of a threat. The pants with inserts might do, but would still be hot. He has to show up and can't decide that it is too hot to go to work today. Production cutting is a hard hard job to do.

Me? I cut occasionally, just when trees are blocking roads. I wear chaps when running saw because I am required to by my employer and I don't have to be so ready to run. I'm just a forester. I wear them while firewood cutting as well because I can choose to not cut if it is too hot. I do not wear steel toes. Nobody out here wears steel toed boots. We manage to not cut our toes off. We do wear them in the winter because those Viking caulks (pronounced corks) are the lowest priced rubber boot sold around here and come in the right sizes for us. The saw shops carry a large supply.

Most of the falling injuries and deaths around here have been from limbs, snags, trees, logs etc. crashing down on guys. Not from saw cuts. One rigging rat died a few years ago from bleeding to death. He fell and cut an artery on a stob, not a saw.

Hazards are perceived to be different in different areas and lines of work. One should keep an open mind. :cheers:

I also cut alone a lot, so I choose to err on the side of safety.

Aside from keeping my brain where it should be (and engaged), I find that erring on the side of safety helps assure potential accidents aren't as severe as they could be. I cut along a lot too, so staying in this habit really helps in those cases...not to mention the added comfort for the eyes and legs in thorny patches as mentioned by others.

I'm still not sure what the difference is between full length apron style chaps versus full length wrap chaps...aside from the obvious that apron chaps are held on by straps and the other has a wider band of fabric. Why do some prefer the wider band? Doesn't it restrict movement or add to the overall heat level?

Hazards are perceived to be different in different areas and lines of work. One should keep an open mind. :cheers:

If the original statement would have been as clear as what you described here I wouldn't have been so confused or shocked. Thanks for taking the time to explain that point of view.

Once again I've learned something on these forums...and been humbled in the process. :cheers:

I'm still not sure what the difference is between full length apron style chaps versus full length wrap chaps...aside from the obvious that apron chaps are held on by straps and the other has a wider band of fabric. Why do some prefer the wider band? Doesn't it restrict movement or add to the overall heat level?

Wraps go behind the leg all the way.

As far as I know, the front mesh visors on the multi-helmets have never been meant to keep out fine sawdust. You need a lexan face shield for that.

For felling I use a Stihl helmet with Peltor muffs and mesh visor but for milling I use a lexan full face shield and around the back of the head Peltor muffs and earplugs. I realize this is not going to work for you folks in cold countries but it may be an alternative when your weather is cooperating.

attachment.php

056 Kid cuts for a living. He has to be ready to run. Most of the cutters or "Pros" as you like to call them around here, and I'm talking fallers on steep ground-- Really steep ground, do not wear chaps or leg protection. I know of one crew that does. One. The trouble is, they have to move or run at times to stay in one piece. They consider it to be more of a danger to get hung up and crushed than cutting a leg. They are not just cutting up firewood or cookies from logs delivered and placed just so in the driveway.

He also cuts in a hot, muggy environment where heat exhaustion is more of a threat. The pants with inserts might do, but would still be hot. He has to show up and can't decide that it is too hot to go to work today. Production cutting is a hard hard job to do.

Me? I cut occasionally, just when trees are blocking roads. I wear chaps when running saw because I am required to by my employer and I don't have to be so ready to run. I'm just a forester. I wear them while firewood cutting as well because I can choose to not cut if it is too hot. I do not wear steel toes. Nobody out here wears steel toed boots. We manage to not cut our toes off. We do wear them in the winter because those Viking caulks (pronounced corks) are the lowest priced rubber boot sold around here and come in the right sizes for us. The saw shops carry a large supply.

Most of the falling injuries and deaths around here have been from limbs, snags, trees, logs etc. crashing down on guys. Not from saw cuts. One rigging rat died a few years ago from bleeding to death. He fell and cut an artery on a stob, not a saw.

I agree 100 percent.

Murphy's Law Applies

I'm a stickler when it comes to safety gear & a firm believer of Murphy's Law with a personal testimony. Few years ago I was debranching w/ a top handle saw in 104 degree Southern Cali summer, so I didn't put on my old trusty chainsaw gloves made by Husqvarna which had kevlar layers sewn into the top of left hand, it was too damm hot I thought.

For that 1 time I didn't wear proper gloves, I encountered a severe kick back while 1 hand was holding the saw & the other was holding the branch; you can fill in the blanks XXXXXX. I ended up making a trip to ER, received 11 stitches on left index finger & couple more trips to plastic surgeon thereafter.

With that been said, you are on the right track for inquiring about safety gear. You are wise to think safety first.

(1) Chaps are a must, be advised length specified on chaps are measured from waist to ankle, not inseam length. So a 32" chap is only 32" long, period. More layers of kevlar the better & mine has 12 layers.

(2) Gloves, chainsaw gloves are a must & don't skimp on quality. Majority of chainsaw related hand injuries are "left" handed. Now days I wear my Husqvarna chansaw gloves with another kevlar cut resistant gloves underneath as liner, you can pick them up on ebay for under 10 bucks. I wear medium size kevlar liner gloves & Husqvarna's are large (to make room for the liner), but this is only for the left hand. Right hand I just wear 1 glove because you need dexterity on the right hand to manipulate the controls.

(3) Forestry helmet are designed to absorb impact from "top" to prevent injuries from falling objects. So they're a must for arborists & don't compromise with bicycle or motorcycle helmets. I find most ear muffs on these helmets don't clamp down tight enough to provide a tight seal against noise, especially when most saws are rated 104 db & above. So what I do is double up with disposable foam type ear plugs I use for shooting. Most of them are rated for 28 db reduction or higher, so figuring 28 db plus at least another 20 db reduction from ear muffs, you are down to high 50's to low 60 decibels which is pretty much "normal conversation" noise level.

On top of all, before running a chainsaw I always make sure I had a good night sleep, having had a good breakfast & never, ever have a beer or two and then pick-up a chainsaw or do any yard work.

Just my two cents.

I need to buy the following safety gear and would like some recommendations based on your experience with different products (keeping in mind that I'm more interested in quality, price, and ease of care/use than brand names):

1. Chaps
2. Forestry Helmet (with hearing protection)
3. Cutting Gloves

I'm prone to overheating and sweating way too much, so I'm looking for protective gear that isn't too stifling. Stuff that "breathes" and doesn't slip around too much (primarily the helmet) would be best.

Thanks in advance,
-Josh

Last edited:
Thank you for the helpful and practical advise, hybridkarpower. I appreciate your candid personal warning!

Some people could care less about using safety gear, but I didn't start this post to hear from those individuals. Thank you to those that have helped to answer my questions and those of others. :cheers:

It is what it is :cheers:

Before the First:

Working Brain

First:

Rockman Helmet <---- Heavier but like a Cadillac -- For pure cutting get this one is tops, just a pleasure to wear.

Peltor <-- Lighter, earmuffs are a pain to open and close -- For combo machine operation and cutting get this one. The peltor visor screen lets saw chips/dust go through and it falls right into your eyes when you look up to check for falling branches and such, very poor in my book.

Second:

Saw Chaps <---Some full lengh ones will do fine.
Third:

Hulkster Gloves <---- Finest working gloves ever invented for rough work, will outlast leather gloves and provide a much better grip than any other glove made, PERIOD, I've spent hundreds trying them all out. I can even work my Flippy Caps with them, LOL.
If you need more than the above items, you need to re-evaluate the Brain part, because if you are lacking there, it will be pretty hard the for the purchased items to save you from damage.

My opinion,

Sam

Have to agree with Slowp about suspenders. I wear cutting pants (kevlar type), I have both summer and winter insulation levels. They are comfortable, and I can cut all day in them.
...Chainsaw boots.
...Helmet, full brim hardhat with muffs and plugs
...Bright orange cutting shirt

I have some full wrap chaps (they zip up in the back so not much to get caught up in brush)that spend most of the time in the truck because I have summer and warmer cutting pants that I find more comfortable to wear , suspenders are a must because they are just not as tight at the end of the day .
I just changed 2 of my forestry helmets from the dull orangey red to Hi-Vis yellow and I will try to remember the brighter shirts/coat or vest because most of the lot clearing work I do is done alone .
Common sense in the brain bucket is very important safety equipment but I have found myself lacking in that department sometimes so I look for any advantage I can buy to offset my shortcomings .

:cheers:

I usually always wear glasses of some sort and earplugs. Gloves depending on what I'm doing and I always have on leather boots.

OK, there is a basic trade off between the level of protection, and how hot/heavy it is. Chaps with more layers of protective fabric are more protective (pretty obvious). But they are also heavier, hotter, and more restrictive. If this extra weight and lack of comfort discourages you from wearing them all of the time, you might be better off with lighter duty (but still certified) stuff that you are more likely to wear. It doesn't protect you if it stays in the truck, right?

I have a pair of Husky full-wrap chaps (they protect the back of your calves, where the saw can slip and cut) as well as the front. They are covered in a durable Cordua fabric. But they are heavier, hotter, and more restrictive, due to the extra fabric, than a pair of Husky 'consumer-grade' apron chaps I have. So I tend to wear the lighter pair unless I think that I will be running a much larger saw or in some hairy situations.

Same thing for helmets. The basic Husky/STIHL/Peltor helmets are lighter than some of the others, and are fine for ground work. If you are climbing in trees, than maybe you want to look at another style, without a bill and with a chin strap. I like hearing muffs over plugs because they also protect my ears from physical damage, and I can lift or place them while wearing gloves.

As noted, the mesh face screen protects your face against branches - you still need to wear safety glasses underneath to protect your eyes.

+1 on the steel toed boots.

Some of the choice should depend on what you will be doing, how much walking, climbing, etc. What works best for felling, might not be the best choice for firewood, for climbing, etc.

Philbert

Last edited:
Chaps are a valuable piece of chainsaw safety equipment.

If you think you need them, wear them.

The important thing is that no one gets hurt. I don't want anyone getting hurt with a chainsaw.

Latest posts

Back