which saw to buy????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gentlemen, to a point I also agree with seesaw. However, if this site had been around a few years ago I would only have two saws right now. I would buy two saws, one for limbing and the other for felling and bucking. It is hard to compromise when it comes to tools and equipment. A mechanic can't use a cresent wrench for everything! You can cut a lot of wood in less time and effort (the important part) if you let the saw do the work! A good 10.5 lb or less limb saw paired with a 4 c.i. or larger/responsive felling/bucking saw could make someone a happy man. The most important thing is to buy quality (product and service) and ensure it that it fits your need. Every new saw is not necessarily an improvement! I have found that my 281 and 288xp are more forgiving than my 371xp. The 242xp, 246 and 42special are rock solid and have an excellent p/w ratio for limbing. The 55 and the 262xp make a nice combo but all of these are non-current models which you maynot be able to find. So take your time and then enjoy your new purchase(s).

one more thought,the B51 baileys logging sells online for $299 is a solo 651sp in black paint....similar to 026,lot o saw for the money.I just got back from madsens and the 026 has gone up since I got mine.

Thanks to this forum I recently purchased a Stihl 026, not the pro version, for home firewood cutting. At 10.6 pounds?? it's a light saw with good power. I was looking at a 029 but at 13.5 pounds and only .25 hp more, I choose the 026. I was told the 026 will outcut the 029, Well My 2 cents anyone. Good luck!

Sorry HO,
I'm generally not the thievin' kind, especially not thunder. Individual thunder is hard to come by these days. Let every man have his piece. I'll try to behave.

The MS290 Farm Boss /029 is a Heavy
and underpowered Sloth Had a new one for about a month and Bought a 036 Sold the 290 on Ebay Love the 036.I have a 026 as well which is great on smaller stuff .:blob2:

Builder,
You are right, that is a Solo 651SP in black sheep's clothing. That price is fantastic! Best we can do out our way for the factory red version of the SP is $349 (which I think is/was a great price for that saw). I agree, its a whole lotta saw even for $349. The suprising thing is that the straight up 651 has even more juice! (a full 4hp and closed porting). I think I'm in love....again.

Firewood

When we cut firewood. myself, my brother,my dad, and once in awhile , my brother-in law, head for the timber with a 24 ft gooseneck behind a 4 wheel-drive diesel ford. there are usually more than a dozen saws to be seen, and the 1st ones out are usually the bigger ones..690-28 solo..395-24 husky.. maybe if we tie into a really big oak, the 090 or the 3120..(not mine...little brothers.)
But there is seldom a tank of gas run thru anyone of em..in 15 minutes, you will see all hands back at the truck grabbin 4 cube saws fer buckin..667-20 solo..272-20 husky..044-20..brother-in law still runs a Sachs -Dolmar 120si an a 266 when he shows, sometimes a tank of gas will be run thru these..but not all of em, then..we spend the rest of the day with or favorites in hand.., you always can tell who like which best...cause this is the saw he will have in hand thru 2 or 3 tanks of gas..but they are all from 2.7 to 3.5 cubers..651pro solo's..262 Husky..dad uses a 242 16 and wont let anyone near it, of course..he used to be that way with his ol 700 McCulloch too!..
These guys above givin a bunch of good advice I think, if you asked anyone of our bunch i cut with..for the last saw they would give up..it would be in that smaller class, not the bigger ones.. so if you are lookin for just one saw, the size used most makes by fellas that have em all of sense to me!
My current wood-weapon has been that 651 solo with an 18inch bar lately..like 'er alot!
With this crew we fill that 5th wheel with 4 ft sideboards, till the ole ford groans..in about a half a day..with just maybe 2 .5 to 3 hours cuttin..the long part a the day is spent loadin..at least it sure goes slower than the mornin!..hehe
an it does not get unloaded an split that day either!

I still think propane is really cheaper!

I don't know about you guys that only want to own one or two saws...I bought my wife a new saw last fall,(2149 Jonsered) so she wouldn't get too mad about the new one I had just bought! I trade some saws in, but I keep plenty too...It's always good to have 5 or 6 good saws running at once.

Yukon659 is worried about pissing his dealer off; here's the thinking I use: say I can get that new 50cc saw for $350 on the 'net, plus I'll have to pay $25 to get it to me. I put it together, run it, adjust the carb, etc. myself, for $375.

Now, If I go to the dealer, he wants $370, I pay tax (about another $23 for me) but no shipping. The dealer also puts the saw together, runs it, etc. and throws in a handful of goodies, like a couple of files, a jug of bar oil, a six-pack of 2 stroke oil, a tin raker guage, and a hat. Not to mention a half-hour of jawing about saws or politics or the guy next door. Plus, If I need a part or service he's happy to be there.

For $375 I get a saw. For $400, I get a saw, a bundle of goodies, and maintain a relationship.

I still shop the web, I still quote prices for stuff, but the guy in the local shop can usually earn my business...I'm just careful to let him know that he can earn my business, I'm not just trying to beat him down. He has some real advantages to sell me, and we talk about them.

Thanks for the help. I made a few phone calls to local Husky dealers. $519 for a 357xp and $369 for a 346xp. Maybe with a little dickering I can save a few bucks!! Now I have to justify the extra $150 on the 357!!! (to myself and my WIFE she just doesn't understand!!!!) I've been reading a lot about Walkerizing, I'm sure I don't need a saw that's been "done up" right now but it sounds awesome for a future saw. I'm already talking about another saw and I don't even have this one yet !!!! All this reading I think I'm getting the "bug". No, really just very interested. Yukon

I agree with Dagger. Buy a saw that you can use all day. For me my favorite saw is my 046M 18". Now depending on how big you are should give you an idea how much saw you want to be workin with. Myself the 046 is just right.

Last edited:
consider getting the 346xp now,and then next year find a really big log so you just have to get another bigger saw...

Latest posts

Back