Which saw to get for cutting firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also take a close look at the 372XP

My neighbor has a Jonsered 2171 and I have a 372XP and honestly I really couldn't tell a huge difference between the two when cutting firewood. The Jonsered certainly seems to have a lower tone on the muffler but performance wise they seem about the same.

That being said I have nothing but good to say about my 372, but I'm still considering a 346XP as a limbing/backup saw in place of my Stihl 056.

I know of a couple places where you can get a great deal on a 372XP if you PM me.

Last edited:
Since we are on the topic......what kind of bar can the 2171 pull through hardwood that doesn't really slow it down too much? I would love to get something w/ a 24" bar and this thread really has my x-max list altered :clap:

I figure I would set hardwood as a standard to cover most everything else.

My 2171 wears a 24" bar almost always, and it kicks axe.

Friendly warning guys...the link to the "N" company is a no-no here...they're not a sponsor and it's against the forum rules to post links to non-sponsors.

Plus it's only fair.

(Check your PMs, gmcman)

I did...sorry bout that. Forgot about the sponsorships....consider it my mulligan.

Decided to go with the Jonsered.

I've decided to go with the Jonsered 2171 because of the old saw trade in deal going on right now. However, I probably would have went with the Dolmar PS7900 if the dealer had carried them in stock. The Dolmar dealer isn't a saw shop, but a hardware store and he said he didn't keep any saws larger than the PS5100. I'd rather be able to at least put my hands on the saw before I paid for it, plus he doesn't keep any parts for the saw in stock. I'm sure I'll be tickled to death with the 2171 anyway. Thanks for all of your helpful advice.

Docshank

Congrats!!

It is a very nice saw, with a long and good track record.

20" bar is a perfect balanse - remember to use skip chain if you go longer than 24".

Last edited:
Back