Which saw to get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10plus is what i do trust me dont get a homeowner saw.. get the 261 and in time u will get a 440 keep an eye on the classifieds here...good guys good deals

Good advice mostly.I'll throw in my .02.I own three Stihl saws.An 028 which rides in the truck working on fence and an 026 and 362 both with 20" bars( 6'+ and back problems in the past).While I like the 362 in the big stuff,I find myself using the 026 for a lot of my cutting.It does a great job for me and is an older saw which I don't mind getting dirty.(I try to keep the 362 as much like new as I can).
My son has a 290 Farm Boss he really likes.Uses it for all his cutting.Good saw.I was going to buy a 311 but after researching went w/362 as it is a pro saw and I'm looking to to work the saw at times.IF my 026 ever quit, I would like to get a 261 to replace it.
Learn to sharpen your chain.If you have a logger or arborist nearby,ask them to show you how then touch up the chain every tank of gas mix or any time you touch dirt.Don't try to force a chain saw to work which is dull.you are beating the saw and yourself for no reason.
Two saws in the woods is a good idea.You can saw out a pinched bar with the other one.
Daddy always said to not go to the woods withut an axe.Council tool makes good axes here in the US.You will need one for kindling and the occasional ragged split from the splitter. I also like a wood handled 8# splitting maul.
If you get the Stihl Ultra oil mix,they double your warranty.

Since we are on the subject of which saws to buy.. I too have a question. I have a job site that has some pretty big cottonwood trees I need to take down. They are roughly 36-50" at DBH. The company I work for only buys Stihl products. Right now we run only Stihl 261's considering we do not really cut anything over 25 inches or so. I need to buy a bigger saw for these cottonwoods. Which leads to the question of what size saw? 400 series 500 series 600 series etc. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back