Which saw would you choose

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mijdirtyjeep

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Alright guys!

Newbie on this site but not totally a newb on saws, just need help deciding.

I have a good friend that is getting out of the wood cutting game and selling his saws. I have a chance to pick one up "I would like to buy them all, but wife would kill me". All the saws that I am going to list will be brought to a dealer "by him" and professionally cleaned, tuned and ready to run.

I already have a Husqvarna 450, and a Dolmar 5100s. both saws run great, just want to expand a little bit.

Here are the saws/condition/price I can get them for. I cut around 4cords a year for myself and help my father-n-law cut another 4cords a year. All the wood we cut is standing live Red or White Oak. There is nothing on the property that a 20-24"" bar can not go though.

Saws
  • Husqvarna 346xp NE $400
This saw was his favorite and used the most. It is around 4-years old and is in mint condition, and runs great.
  • Husqvarna 357xp $300
This saw is 5-6years old and has also been used quite a bit. Overall the body is a little scratched up, but in great shape
  • Husqvarna 562xp $550
This saw is almost brand new. It has maybe 3-gallons of gas run through it. There is not a single scratch on it.
  • Dolmar 7900 $450
This saw is around 7-8years old. It is in excellent shape, just like the others.

7900 all the way
With the saws you already have it will round out your collection very nicely !!

If you don't purchase the 7900, would you consider purchasing it for me and shipping it ? I will send you a USPS money order for the saw and the shipping cost as soon as you say so

I would buy the 562xp or the 7900. You need a larger saw added to your fleet.

I can't comment on the dolmar but he sounds a little high on the huskys. You can shop around and beat those prices.

A little update.
I just stopped by the local Husqvarna/Dolmar dealer to get an 18' bar for the Dolmar. I got to talking with him and he bought all the saws through him. He told me the same as you guys about the Huskys "a little high", but that he can say for certain that all the saws have been extremely well taken care of. He also said anytime one of them would have a hiccup, that they were in his shop to be fixed "the guy will not use it unless they are running perfect"

PS: the Dolmar 5100s, is from the same guy. I picked it up for $200, and have not had one single issue with it besides needing a larger bar "came with a 16' 3\8 58gauge"

7900 all the way

If you don't purchase the 7900, would you consider purchasing it for me and shipping it ? I will send you a USPS money order for the saw and the shipping cost as soon as you say so

I am thinking the 7900 would be nice to have as well.

All saws will be up for sale after I decided. he is selling them all. I will keep you guys updated.

7900 all the way

I am thinking the 7900 would be nice to have as well.

All saws will be up for sale after I decided. he is selling them all. I will keep you guys updated.

The 7900 would be good to use on the 24" size wood. It would also be good at noodling your larger rounds. The 562 works well on 20" rounds. If you want the 562, I would try to get it for 450-475.

Another +1 for the 7900. Your 5100 is a solid 50cc saw, so the 346 doesn't make a lot of sense unless you replaced the 5100. 357xp and 562xp are nice saws, but IMO go for a bigger more powerful saw, bigger gap from what you have. 40 cords of firewood a year, I'd definitely want a 70cc class saw. Can make bucking firewood fast and fun.

And it sound like you have a good Dolmar dealer nearby as well, something some folks can't get.

I didn't see a STIHL on the list.

Save your money. ;)

:lol: I was waiting for that!!

He does not own a Stihl for a saw, but he does have a Stihl FS 560 clearing saw, and a BR 550 backpack blower.. So we can't say he is prejudice against Stihl:)

Definitely the 7900. I love mine! But, I would have a hard time not picking up the 357xp, as well. $300 is a good price for what you get. Maybe he'll do $700 for both?

Latest posts

Back