Which Saws are on the way out ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

confused

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey everyone we have talked about the new ones coming out 385XP and a few others what about the ones going under the axe. Which models from Sithl, Husky etc... Do you think are going to be discontinued in the near future and why?

I think the 046 or 044 will be on the chopping block sooner or later. They both are so close to each other there really is no reason to manufacture both. An I'm sad to say that the 090’s are probably on its last piston rings because of the tighter restrictions in North America.

Confused

The Husky 55/55R is all done. You think Stihl has a lot of redundant models look at Husqvarnas lineup. They have a saw every 3ccs or so. 141 340 345 346 350 351 55 55R. Eight saws w/in 13 cc of each other. The Stihl 044 will probably get wacked b4 the 046, due to the 046 power output and emissions

So HuskyMan,

Do you see Husky cleaning up their line-up possibly? Streaming lining I think going to start happening. An husky surely could benefit by taking a couple different models out. But, what do I know I'm not an accountant. I just thought I would ask to see what everyone else has to say about this.

Thanks

Confused

034, 036, 044, 064 would be my guess from stihl. The 009 needs revised or gotten rid of, only saw without anti vib and costs around $200 bucks.

your question comes at a real opportune time in chainsaw history. stihls high prices and the failure to feel the need for upgrading their product line. husky over extending themselves in the market place(husky,partner,jonsered or poulan pro & sears and lowes new market). homelites(dextron,john deere,etc) lack of ability to meet EPA standards. makita,shindiawa,echo etc. on the constant push to better their products while competing with the two top selling names in the industry. it may not be a question of what models may get cut, but what company may have to regroup and sit on the back burner for a while.

Originally posted by chainsawworld
your question comes at a real opportune time in chainsaw history. stihls high prices and the failure to feel the need for upgrading their product line. husky over extending themselves in the market place(husky,partner,jonsered or poulan pro & sears and lowes new market). homelites(dextron,john deere,etc) lack of ability to meet EPA standards. makita,shindiawa,echo etc. on the constant push to better their products while competing with the two top selling names in the industry. it may not be a question of what models may get cut, but what company may have to regroup and sit on the back burner for a while.

Homelite is funny, not with dextron or JD anymore, some japanese company bought them and they are being made in mexico.

The Stihl 009 will probably die only because the dealers have a hard time selling them to people only looking a price. Around here an 009 is $249.00 or so while an 017 which has the same advertised hp is $179.00. The 009 is the last of its kind, a small Stihl with an actual crankcase. I am a Stihl fan but if they rest on their "#1 world wide" butt then they're gonna get spanked. I'd bet that ALL the saw makers could benifit from streamlining their product lines, it has to cost a fortune to support so many models.

Homelite's Textron and Terry days were mostly the good ones. JD took over and drove things into the ground, and I think they made the saws in Mexico. Homelite was just sold to the Taiwanese company that makes Ryobi. I think that'll be the end unless the start making the 750 again. :)

Makita (Dolmar) is the real "sleeper" in this pack. If they could just figure out a distribution model, they could give the other brands some serious competition.

Makita has the manufacturing muscle, a quality product, the brand, the worldwide parts and service distribution network. The problem is they just can't get the chainsaws out to the channels where the consumer is likely to buy them. Lawn and garden dealers are in bed with Stihl, Husky, and Echo and their traditional power tool dealers don't want to bother with the Makita chainsaw lineup.

Makita might be doomed unless they figure it out.

Originally posted by chainsawworld

How far are we going back? I have been following the Husky,Sach-Dolmar, Echo saga for a while now. I am not sure that when a model is superceeded it is necessarily a bad thing. However every new model is not an improvement! If you have a GOOD dealer who has been in the business awhile he can tell you which models to stay away from. Many good saws have died a pre-mature death because of the EPA. From 1990 these are the Husky models that are know have been superceeded: the 23,36,41,42 spec,242xp,246,50 rancher,51,55,55 rancher,61,268,
254xp,262xp,272xp,281xp,288xp,288xp Lite still available,371xp,394xp and I am sure there are others. If you can find some of these models as left overs at any dealer at a good price BUY it!!!!

Howdy,

Ok, I hope you guys are ready for this! Recently I visited Shindaiwa, and got a good look at the most recent engine for their timmers to meet the 2005 comming standards.

IT HAS VALVES!

That's right, a two-cycle engine with valves. The cutest little things you ever saw. It looks just like it was four cycle, but no oil in the crankcase. I did not get a chance to really get into it and checkout exactly what was going on, although it looked a might delicate to me. The gross weight would be about the same as a professional timmer of 30cc or so. A little heavier than the lightweights, but useable.

Unfortunately, I can't remember if the gas was mixed, or the oil injected. I suspect the latter. I understand that this engine is now available.

Regards,
Walt Galer

Oh Fish,

Dont leave us hangin' like this!!!
Do you have any more info? Id love to hear more, the whole concept facinates me.
Cheers,
Charlie.

I have heard rumors floating about that Stihl and others have what I guess you could call a "3 Cycle" engine in the works similar to the Shindiawa t2500 engine. I know that Stihl has been working with a Japanese company to get a more CARB friendly engine ready for the 2005 deadline. I can't wait to see who is the first on the block with true fuel injection from bosch or Walbro.:blob2:

Stihl's new 4-Mix

Planned to hit the market on a line trimmer in March 2002. Not related to Shindaiwa. No fuel injection.

Uses 50/1 fuel mix, OHV. No reed valves. Fuel/air enters as in standard 4 cycle. In the intake manifold is a small metered feed that enters valve box. Crankcase draws a small charge of fuel/air through the valve box, down the push rod tunnels and into the crankcase while the piston travels up. When piston is on the way down, the fuel/air charge is pushed right back and drawn into the open intake valve when on the intake stroke.

30cc engine, almost identical profile as the 25cc FS-85, similar HP, higher torque. Weighs only 1/2 lb more then the 85.

We had the chance to take one apart at out Stihl update on 1/28/02. Very easy to work on. Meets C.A.R.B. 2005 tier II regs. I was impressed by the fact that Stihl more or less introduced the engines to the techs for hands on inspection before tossing it on the market. They appear to have done their homework on this engine and for a change not afraid to let repair folks see it first. I suspect this engine or variation will eventually work its way into other applications. Stihl doesn't call it a four stroke and doesn't want dealers to either. It's a hybrid and I think they fear if it's called a four stroke some folks may not use pre-mix.

Latest posts

Back