Which small Stihl to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a 200t,290,056,and Monday my new 660 will be here but using the 056 then the 200t it fells as heavy as a big gaterade bottle nice and lite I'm also a climber and wanted a top handle saw bought it in 04 only had to change plug once and replace the break handle( droped it about 30 ft) I'd go with a 200t or half price for a 192t :greenchainsaw:

I would go with the ms 250 for the second saw. I have both the ms 250 and ms 260 and there is little difference between the two. I know I am going to get it from the 026, 260 diehards.

I have a 170 and it is a great little saw for limbing and cleaning up the oak tops. I don't use the 170 as much as I could because it quickly runs out of oomph. For very little more weight a 50cc saw will let me keep cutting up to 10" or so limbs. Once everything smaller than 10" has been cut and cleared I'll bring out the 440 or 660, depending on how big the trunk is.

Unfortunately, the 026/260 is not my go-to 50cc saw, that would be my Husky 350. I'm eyeing a new 346 to replace it. Stihl really needs to upgrade the old 260 design.

Also realize I don't like hauling a lot of saws as I have enough extra stuff to carry what with two sons, a dog and usually hunting gear. I scope out the tree I'm going to cut the week before and only bring two saws on cutting day. If you can carry more saws you also have more options open to you!
Dok

I didn't get him to give me the break down on it but my assumption was the time the engine is running and the load . I had it rebuilt after 2 years because the carb went out and I adjusted when I should have brought it in. He first tried to accuse me of using it on the ground and I said no way. He said that is what kills em. I really don't know his reasoning behind it but as far as I can tell he knows what he is talking about. Of all the saw shops I have dealt with he is the best.​

It's nothing with the saw position but the200t just dont like any heat(not too fat. Not to lean) the carb has to me set just rite or you can fry them keep it at stock settings(the number of turns out are writen on the cover the ajusters are on) unless your about 3500ft above sea level then you got to lean it up a bit

After my recent purchase of a ms211 I would recommend it to anyone wanting a smaller saw. I have used it twice now and the more I get use to it the more I like it.

After my recent purchase of a ms211 I would recommend it to anyone wanting a smaller saw. I have used it twice now and the more I get use to it the more I like it.

I have narrowed it down to the 210 or 260 pro. I did not see a 211 at my dealer. I will check into it!

I would choose a small saw from the PRO series.

MS 200 7pin shortest bar.

Cheers

Correct me if I have gotten it wrong, but I believe the MS211 is considered to be very close in performance to the MS200.

I'm not sure about durability comparisons under of professional use, but short of those demands, the 211 may be the better choice.

He told me he could get a MS 192 with a rear handle also? I know you can with the 200 but is very pricey but the 192 is considered a professional saw and is affordable but how much less hp difference from a 200 or a 211? Or should I just get a 200T? I used my buddies and thought that it put quite a bit of pressure on my right wrist if I had to cut a couple truck loads at a time. That is why I think I might be better off with a rear handle. I really like the weight of the 192T and the 200T. The 211 is #9, I think the 260 PRO is about the same and should have a ton more power?

If you are not climbing I would stick with a rear handle saw. The 192 with the rear handle looks like a nice little saw. As others have mentioned, the 180 is a good little saw and deserves some consideration. I have 180 and it is a great little saw. Suprisingly good power. Goes thru 10in. oak quite well. Depends how much use it will see is a big factor in going with a pro saw or not. Pro is better thats for sure. That being said, good mix, some routine maint., and careful usage, go a long way towards making even a cheaper saw last quite some time. Sorry for adding to the confusion. LOL

The 211 has much better power than the 192, and the 211 weighs in almost a pound less then the 260 Pro.

You could run the 192 with a Picco-Miccro .043" chain/bar and it would cut better, but still not as strong as the 211. Unless you wanted the 192T for climbing, the MS211 is as small as I would go.

You can always get the E-Light bar for the MS211 to reduce weight and bring it closer to the 192 weight.

If it was going to be my only saw, I would look at a bigger saw like the 260 Pro. Other saws for your consideration, which you may have ruled out, would be the 5105, 346XP or even the 361/362 if you have the extra $$$.

Latest posts

Back