Which splitter for me?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnConundrum

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've read through some of the other threads on what is the "best" splitter but I'd like to narrow the discussion to my particular needs. First, I have about a $2K budget +/-. i want to split wood for my own needs; not for sale. I use wood in my wood fired oven in which I bake at least once every weekend, and sometimes fire it up Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, for everything from cooking meals to baking bread (at least one batch every weekend) to pizza. I'd like 24" logs, but I would also like to split them down to about 3-4" wide to burn fast and hot. The first job I have lined up is a 30" diameter Hickory. I assume I'll only split a few cords a year, but I prefer a piece of equipment that will work quickly and dependably, with virtually no complications (I have a bad back and don't want to fight with it.)

I'm considering a Husky 35 ton, that will cost me $1799 plus tax or a total of about $1900 or a NorthStar 37 ton that will cost $1900 plus just under $200 shipping. The $200 spread doesn't really concern me. I assume the NorthStar 4 way splitter would be a good advantage, but that's available on some of the smaller models too... Am I going way to big for 30 hickory? Should I be considering something else? If these are on target for me, which would you choose?

for 2k i would look at a iron and oak 26 ton with a 9hp honda with free shipping online. i gave right around 2200 for mine and its quality is much better than either splitter u mentioned for not much more money

Thanks for such a quick response. When dealing with a splitter, what does "better quality" mean? There seems to be no dissatisfaction with the Husky, but I really don't know what to look at. I assume you're talking about This Guy?

the huskee and northern tools are great splitters but are not a commercial grade splitter. my local rental places all use the same iron and oak splitter that i have and they get a great service life out of them even under harsh rental conditions and that was the deal breaker for me.

Wonder why they didn't put the guards on the ram so it could dislodge a stuck piece of wood , looks like a nice splitter .

You won't get any complaints about the I&O units. Good stuff, and great people to deal with. I have some of their mauls & wedges.

BUT! Other than a Honda engine vs. Honda, I'm still looking for where they are so superior to the Huskee/Speeco. Both are very solid units.

One thing I like about my Huskee is something nobody else has - the built-in log cradle. No balancing a round piece of wood on a flat beam. With the Speeco unit, you can toss an 18" round up there and take your hands off. It's not going anywhere.

That's great for safety AND less work, too.

Of course, for 30" rounds you want the option of splitting vertically, too.

Q:
Wonder why they didn't put the guards on the ram so it could dislodge a stuck piece of wood , looks like a nice splitter .

A: So you can purchase the guards (log dislodger) for even more $$.

Iron & Oak BHVH2609

I&O log dislodger = $85
I&O log cradle = $159

I really do think that the dislodger should be part of the base configuration.

Last edited:
We picked up the Huskee 35 ton this past spring for myself and my wood partner. He also sells it so we have been using it alot this year. Here is my opinion (so far) after around 15 cords through it.
1. Engine placement (more so, exhaust). When it's hot out, that last thing you want is that hot exhaust hitting your leg and warming up the work area. I truned the exhaust sheild and that has helps some and will be looking at other opions when I get time. New units have the engine on the other side so it is no longer an issue.
2. Log strippers. I find it hard that the Iron & Oaks don't have them standard. They are great!!!
3. Vertical splitting. Nice for the large rounds but hard on my back (I know with practice, this will get better) and can be alot easier then trying to lift them onto the splitter. Some wood (elm) will fight us to the point that either wood is distroyed, or we give up and use the saw. But still a great feature and has saved us more time then it has cost us.
4. Over-all I think it is a very nice machine for a very good price (keep in mind it also includes all the oil) and will last us many many years with great resale if we want to upgrade. No regreats on the purchase. We used a TW-5, on loan, for a month last year and yes they are a great machine. The log lift alone would be great to have. But we just could not justify the amount extra money it would cost to purchase.
If you do purchase the Huskee and want to upgrade later, you can always sell the Huskee for most of what you paid for it to upgrade to something nicer.
Happy splitting :)

I have the Huskee (speeco) 35 ton.. excellent value for the money, and splits anything i have. Most of the time its a half to 3/4 throttle.. We paid $1529 with the TSC 15% coupon we got at the Store,,2 years ago..! :chainsawguy:

Honestly, for what you described I would just get the huskee 20 or 22 ton, you don't do a lot of wood, and that match will split anything .... best of all its 999 at tsc. Get that save you money, 30 inch dia is nothing for that machine... I have a 28 ton and haven't slowed it down once .... speeco has great customer service so I wouldn't worry ...
Iron oak timber wolf are awesome.. but if you are 3 cord or less a year you really don't need to spend the money unless you want too...
Good luck!

I have a northern 37 ton. It is a great machine. I looked at them all and decided they were the most bang for the buck. The auto idle is also another good feature. These machines are built every bit as good as any other. If you can wait and watch, northern will put them on sale for $1700.

try going to the Tractor Supply Store and ask to speak to the manager.. Tell them you applied online for the coupon and have not received it,, ask him/her to honor it anyway and tell them your ready today to purchace a splitter.. they are usually accomodating.:)

Uhhh, maybe I'm missing something. I didn't see anywhere to apply for the coupon, or even any mention of the coupon. I just registered for the site. There is a $5 coupon you can apply for, but no 15%er that I saw.

Most of the TSC cupons seem to be only for internet orders, not instore. Catch is, you can not order the splitter on line :( When we got ours, it was marked $1699, and they would not move on the price. That was OK as most stores were $1799. Then when they went on sale for $1599 I was able to go in and get the new price. You will start to get the e-mail cupons now that you are signed up. Some people have had luck using them in the store so worth a try. I agree with others that the 22 ton would do everything you want.
Good luck and I know you will be happy with most any well-made splitter out there.

Uhhh, maybe I'm missing something. I didn't see anywhere to apply for the coupon, or even any mention of the coupon. I just registered for the site. There is a $5 coupon you can apply for, but no 15%er that I saw.

Once they have your name and address they should periodically (not necessarily immediately) send you advertisements and promotions in the mail.

I've been getting a 10% off coupon (valid on splitters, et al.) every year in August via US Postal Service. If I recall correctly, I also got another one sometime late in the fall, too. In addition, I do get their flyers and catalog in the mail. I assume I got on their list for registering online, but it may have been from a credit card purchase at an actual Tractor Supply store.

Infrequently, I'll also come across a TSC coupon for 10-25% off with a max savings of $100.

Last edited:
Honestly, for what you described I would just get the huskee 20 or 22 ton, you don't do a lot of wood, and that match will split anything .... best of all its 999 at tsc. Get that save you money, 30 inch dia is nothing for that machine... I have a 28 ton and haven't slowed it down once .... speeco has great customer service so I wouldn't worry ...
Iron oak timber wolf are awesome.. but if you are 3 cord or less a year you really don't need to spend the money unless you want too...
Good luck!

I finally bought a 22 Ton Huskee splitter today at TSC. The only thing I've done so far is start the engine to see if it would run and it does. I may try splitting a little bit of wood tomorrow. I've been looking at log splitters for quite a while and think the Huskee looks like it's better built than some of the others that cost quite a bit more. But like everything else, you don't know until you've owned it a while.

I have a wallenstein splitter with a 4 way wedge that I use for my pizza oven .It works great!

Back