Which splitter for me?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since nobody else suggested

At the $2000 price point you can get into a Timberwolf TW-P1 or an American. These are light commercial splitters that will allow you to add a 4-way, outfeed table, and in the case of the T'wolf a log lift at a later date.

I would be more concerned with the quality of the machine and dealer support whatever make you select, but that's me. Tonnage as long as it's 20 or higher really should not be the deciding factor. I've been running a T'wolf 20 ton machine with 4-way with no issues. The higher tonnage usually relates to slower cycle times as the bigger cylinder takes longer to fill unless the manufacturer upgrades the engine HP and hydraulics.

Based on your post and application I think a 20 ton machine is more than adequate, anything above and beyond in terms of features is up to you.

Take Care

I went out and split about 15 or 16 pieces of maple with the Huskee a couple of days ago. That was all the wood I have at the time. The Huskee seemed to handle it as well as any splitter I've used. It groaned a little on the knotty stuff but I've seen others do that as well. Anyway, so far so good. Now all I have to do is find some more wood!

I and O

I am looking at them now do they offer different heads and how hard are they to change I want 2 way all the way to 10.

Go look on Craigslist. People are selling splitters with very little use at a discount. I am sure you can bring a log with you when you check them out.

Go look on Craigslist. People are selling splitters with very little use at a discount. I am sure you can bring a log with you when you check them out.

I hope you're luck is better than mine at finding a used one. Every time one came up locally and I called they said it had already been sold. I've looked at used ones for quite a while and the only ones I've seen that aren't sold are either real junky or several states away, so I paid a little more and bought a new one with a guarantee. Some of the used ones I priced were about the same as my new one!

the huskee and northern tools are great splitters but are not a commercial grade splitter.

And for two cords a year why do you need a commercial splitter? :dizzy:

If your wood runs a lot in the 30" size, you have some choices:

• Noodle the rounds down to a manageable size
  • Split vertically
  • Get a splitter with an outfeed table and a log lift

That last option will cost you a bunch more than your 2k budget. OTOH, going with the T-1 will allow you to add that later.

If that's not an option for you, the Huskee or Northern will do you just fine.

Last edited:
I really didn't have a 2k budget..it was more like 1k or less. The logs I split are probably 18", if they're too long they won't fit in the stove and the longer logs are a little more awkward to handle in the house. My wife also puts logs in the stove and it's easier for her if they aren't too big. I think the Huskee is perfect for what we need, cutting the occasional tree down and cutting it up for firewood, mostly maple, which is easy to split.

Back