Which Splitter is better

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scalo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am a homeowner who burns wood for heat, up until now I have borrowed my father in-laws "yard machine" splitter to split my wood. I am now ready to purchase my own splitter, I stopped at my local guy and found that he carries "white outdoor" brand log splitters. A little research turns up that MTD makes this splitter and I have never heard anything good about MTD. I also saw that lowes carries the Troybuilt which I find that MTD also makes and that MTD also makes the Yard Machine that Home Depot carries. I do not have the need for a production type splitter and I am kind of leaning toward the White Outdoor brand but have never heard anything about the quality of them and was hoping that you guys might know something about them and could fill me in.
Scott

I've got a Husky 35 ton from TSC. In about 5 years it's probably split a min of 50 cords. It's needed a weld or two but it's tough as nails. I split a cord of nasty,narly elm yesterday and we won.

Mike

White like troy-bilt, used to be top quality products, but now they are made by MTD and are made like MTD products. Having said that, they do work, and for a lot less money than most of the other stuff out there. I had one for 6 years and split over 200 cords with it. Keep it covered and maintained and don't see any reason why it won't last you a lifetime.

I maybe split 6 cord a year so I am thinking it will last me quite a long time if I do like you said and take care of it and keep it in the shed. I just wanted to hear from someone that had experiance with it because I would like to support my local guy and not go to the big box store. Thanks for the info. :cheers:

other than the huskee from TSC..........

most of the lower end ones seem to be poorly setup where the tires are in relation to were you have to stand while splitting.

;) you will spend more time servicing the splitter if you expect to split only 6cords a yr, better off renting one rather than have it sitting idle..

owning a log splitter is much more convinient to me, this way I can split when I want and not have to drive somewhere and hope that they have one available.

Has anyone bought or tried any of the splitters sold by Northern Tool and Equipment? We just got two NTE stores in the Nashville area and the ones I saw had Honda engines (5.5-9hp) and were either NorthStar™ (NTE private brand?) or Troy-Bilt.

I'm looking for a splitter and would like to read a comparison between the NTE ones and the Huskee™ ones sold by TSC (also with Honda engines).

One thing I can see from the pictures of the TSC splitters is the engine and exhaust appears to be on the same side as the splitter lever. Have rented one that had the exhaust directed toward the operator and the continual drone of exhaust noise and fumes get old fast.

Last edited:
I used a splitfire splitter last winter. Three of us split enough wood for 6 families over the course of a day and a half. The thing splits on the out stroke and the in stroke. Had a little(5 or 6hp) Honda on it. Nice machine

I have a big old Vermeer, real horse, with a 12 HP Kohler.
Best running engine I've ever had!
The best splitter is the biggest, like saws, but if you only get modest size wood and not many crotches, most any will do.
The ones I see at Tractor Supply (TSC) seem the best for the money, but I haven't run one. Seems like around $1200 you get a really husky one.

I see reasonable deals on Craigslist too...about half price, if you have time to wait for one to show up.

OOPS, forgot something.
Be SURE to get one that goes vertical.
I split lots of stuff that I can't begin to pick up but can horse onto the foot for vertical splitting.

I had the biggest Tractor supply unit which was horiz/vert and listed at 35 ton. It was a yard machine tho and that is what you are wanting out of. It cost approx 1200 new and I was thrilled w it for about 15 years. I bought a timberwolf tw5 and have done about 100 cords w it in the 2 years i ve had it. I m really happy w it however w access. it was 6k$ plus. You could easily make this up by splitting other people s wood (i d never rent or loan equip). The 600 lb log lift and 6 way split make it fast and easier on the back. Have had no probs w it.

We have a swisher with a belt drive pump and it works real nice. I have yet to squeal the belt and I have cut so wicked knots. 25 ton with a 7hp ohv brigs on in. The belt is nice since you can disengage it in the cold. It won't even start if you leave it engaged when it gets around freezing.

Also be sure you get one with an actual i-beam frame and solid foot. There are alot of cheaply made pieces of junk out there for the same price as a good one. There are even two 25 ton 7hp swishers. One good and one bad. Both are the same price.

Northern Tool

Has anyone bought or tried any of the splitters sold by Northern Tool and Equipment? We just got two NTE stores in the Nashville area and the ones I saw had Honda engines (5.5-9hp) and were either NorthStar™ (NTE private brand?) or Troy-Bilt.

I'm looking for a splitter and would like to read a comparison between the NTE ones and the Huskee™ ones sold by TSC (also with Honda engines).

One thing I can see from the pictures of the TSC splitters is the engine and exhaust appears to be on the same side as the splitter lever. Have rented one that had the exhaust directed toward the operator and the continual drone of exhaust noise and fumes get old fast.

My first splitter was one from northern tool I bought for $800-900. It had the 5.5 hp Honda engine and the auto return valve. The unit weighed 300 lbs so I could easily move it around when it was not attached to the truck. The engine was very fuel efficient and the design was nice to work with. I used the splitter to split some huge pieces and after using it for almost two years, sold it (so I could get a bigger one) for $800. Keep it covered, change the oil and keep the beam and wedge oiled and it will last you for many years. I now have a Timber Wolf TW-5 with 4 way wedge and log lift. A great machine, but $6000. Use it in my business and have never had a problem. Split 2 1/2 -3 foot dia pieces frequently, all oak and hickory, no problem.

hey beaverb01, just wonder if you have had to adjust the auto return often? no biggie but it can p ss me off when i see my guy operating the return handle when he should be reloading or moving wood? the 6 way split is good sometimes but sometimes it just generates skinny kindling. the tray i feel is a must have. did you consider the conveyer or the wrapper or anyother stuff?

Back