Which Stihl 250/270/260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supercut469

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, shopping for a new saw. 95% of cutting is blocking up wood 8" or under, mostly maple. 5% is falling and bucking trees way to big for the saws I can afford!

Visited my local Stihl and could get a MS 250 for $379, a 270 for 429 or the 260 for 549. My question is: would the 250 be good or underpowered for me? What are the differenced between the 260 and 270?

Also my local Jonsered dealer had a 2150 for $620. In comparison I thought this was high with respect to the Stihl prices. Also the word of mouth in the community is that this particular stihl dealer gives excellant service and warantee work while the service depo at the Jonny red deal is just so-so.

Tomorrow I check out the local husky dealer. I saw one of his fliers today at another shop and he is selling the 345 for 499$ (canadian)

So far the Stihl and Jonsered shops both offered a 2 year warantee. Is this typical?
thoughts?

For 8" wood, the 250 will work great. If you want to zip through them fast a 260 or 270 will put a bigger smile on your face. The 250 is a home owner type saw where the 270 is mid grade and the 260 is pro. If this will be your only saw for awhile the 270/260 will be the better choice.

I guess you have to weigh cost vs. dealership being local.

Best advice I could give is take your time.
For your money; you might consider Dolmars "Makita 6401" with a 20 in. bar
499.00 at Baileys. The rest of the fellows may have better thoughts though...
I like my 026, but there are other excellent options out there.
Some of which I didn't know about when I bought mine. (No real regrets though:) )
What do you cut with now?
-br

I used to cut with a Husky 454 which my dad gave to me which he got free from a co-worker. That saw needed a new ring and piston and bar/chain/sprocket so I decided to retire it after many years of service and buy a new saw!

I used to cut with a Husky 454 which my dad gave to me which he got free from a co-worker. That saw needed a new ring and piston and bar/chain/sprocket so I decided to retire it after many years of service and buy a new saw!
I never heard of a 454, 444 sounds more likely.......

Among the Stihls, I suggest the 260 if weight and build quality matters, the 270 if it doesn't.

...but actually I will suggest the 5100S in Canada, I believe they are quite reasonably priced there.

Last edited:
Hi, shopping for a new saw. 95% of cutting is blocking up wood 8" or under, mostly maple. 5% is falling and bucking trees way to big for the saws I can afford!

Visited my local Stihl and could get a MS 250 for $379, a 270 for 429 or the 260 for 549. My question is: would the 250 be good or underpowered for me? What are the differenced between the 260 and 270?

Also my local Jonsered dealer had a 2150 for $620. In comparison I thought this was high with respect to the Stihl prices. Also the word of mouth in the community is that this particular stihl dealer gives excellant service and warantee work while the service depo at the Jonny red deal is just so-so.

Tomorrow I check out the local husky dealer. I saw one of his fliers today at another shop and he is selling the 345 for 499$ (canadian)

WOW! Prices sure are high there as compared to here in the US.:dizzy: A MS250 16" is right at $300 and the Husky 345 is about $290. From what you listed I would opt for the MS260 first, MS270 second, and look into other options.

You might want to ask your dealers if they have any good, used saws in the 50-60cc range. You should be able to get a decent 026(older MS260), 028, 036 etc for a lot less $$. Likewise used Husqvarna, Jonsered, Dolmar... It doesn't take a big saw to cut 8" maple:chainsaw: , but it makes it quicker and easier on bigger wood.

So far the Stihl and Jonsered shops both offered a 2 year warantee. Is this typical?
thoughts?

The 250 would be perfectly fine for the job you're describing, and more if need be, but the 270 has more power and is both a bit tougher&heavier, and the 260 is a real pro saw, only you can decide if any of that is worth the extra dollars.

Are you sure the dealer gave you the right price for the 2150? It should be cheaper than the 250! Over here it's about 10% more than the 250 but I would expect it to be around 10% cheaper where you are. Wherever that might be... Are you perhaps just saying "here"..?

The 2150 is the same saw as the Husqvarna 350, most people seems to think it's a better saw than the 250, but only if the price is about the same, otherwise take the 260 or the 250.

Given the Canadian prices, this looks pretty good, even though it's powerhead only.

It can handle everything, then when you get a little money put back you can buy a really small saw (something around 10lb complete) for the easy 95% of your cutting.

Yeah, the DCS6401 is an unbelievable bargain, and available from several sellers right now, I just can not understand how such a good saw could be sold at such a low price.

I unpacked mine yesterday, and I think we're going to become good friends... :chainsaw:

Last edited:
The 250 will do what you want it for. The 270 will give you more power and a lot of the features of a pro saw such as the 260. I would get the 270 for the extra power and comfort.
Welcome.:cheers:

ms260 without question, well worth the extra money. fast light, reliable workhorse and can be rebuilt very easily. I love the Stihl 026/260 parts are everywhere they are very easy to work on and have excellent power for a 50cc saw. They are very happy with an 16" bar and can run an 18" without any issues. If I were looking at new I would seriously consider the Dolmar 5100 it is good bang for your buck but I still lean toward the ms260 it is one of the most reliable saws you can buy. The others 250/270 are a different class of saw they can get the job done but just don't make the pro grade and if you want a good saw get a pro grade saw imo.

My CAS started with a used stihl , then i got another , and another and ...
If you are inclined to tinker there are plenty of good used saws to be had , look at the trading post or kijiji for example , if you want new then buy the best you can afford in the proven names.The J'red price is just a little high ;) so you should look for another dealer but if your willing to spend that much just get it over with and get a MS361 with a 16" and you'll be able to block up 8" maple till the cows come home (I've had 50ish cc saw and found them slow in 8" hardwood).
Just my 2 cents .

I would go with the MS 260 being that it is the pro model. This saw is lighter than the MS 270 and would really get the job done over the MS 250

Ms250

while i don't have the experience of a lot of the folks on here
I do own the MS250 and have been very happy with it
I cut mostly firewood up to 12 inches give or take
I did remove the spark arrestor and open up the muffler a bit
and that alone gave me even more power.

I just fell a tree today that was 18 inches in diameter it wasn't easy with this saw and was hectic at times (it's been 15 years since I cut a tree down)
but only because the tree was larger than the length of the bar length of 18 inches however this saw came through like a champ

after 3 years with a poulan pro box store bought saw the MS250 has been a delight.. I have chainsaw fever now badly and hope to get a 460 soon don't know what I will use it for but it will be fun

Respectfully
Geocom

while i don't have the experience of a lot of the folks on here
I do own the MS250 and have been very happy with it
I cut mostly firewood up to 12 inches give or take
I did remove the spark arrestor and open up the muffler a bit
and that alone gave me even more power.

I just fell a tree today that was 18 inches in diameter it wasn't easy with this saw and was hectic at times (it's been 15 years since I cut a tree down)
but only because the tree was larger than the length of the bar length of 18 inches however this saw came through like a champ

after 3 years with a poulan pro box store bought saw the MS250 has been a delight.. I have chainsaw fever now badly and hope to get a 460 soon don't know what I will use it for but it will be fun

Respectfully
Geocom
Welcome, I see you already have the cad fever. The 460 is a nice saw.

One vote for the 260.

I'm currently working on a 250 for a friend - first time I've really gotten to be around one. This has broadened my appreciation for the saw - it's more capable than I had given it credit.

But it has also given me a deeper appreciation for the pro aspect of my 260. I just really love that saw.

I also agree that for what you are doing, you really can't go wrong with any of the three you initially listed. Good luck with your choice!

..... Are you sure the dealer gave you the right price for the 2150? It should be cheaper than the 250! Over here it's about 10% more than the 250 but I would expect it to be around 10% cheaper where you are. Wherever that might be... Are you perhaps just saying "here"..?

I believe Huskys are very expensive (relatively) in Canada, so the Jonsereds may be as well.

The price picture is very different from in the US.

Back