Which Stihl Bar / Chain for MS 290? Are there any .325 25" skip tooth options?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ham

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It currently has an 18" 3003 008 6817, which appears to be a standard Rollamatic E
There are also references to 18" 3003 812 7017, which also appears to be a standard Rollamatic E

Any idea of the differences between these two 18" bars?

Long term I would like for this saw to have a 25" bar. I know that's too long, but it's only for occasional use bucking. It currently has a standard style 8 tooth sprocket

1 - Is there a .325 25" bar/chain option for this saw? I am only seeing 3/8 in that size
2 - If not, what's the best option for this saw?

I agree...finding a .325 bar over 20" will be tough.

The obvious answer for your question #2 is to buy your saw a larger saw. I recently bought a well used, runner 038 mag for a hundred bucks. I understand, good deals on larger saws are not always available.

While you wait...how big is the stuff you are occasionally bucking? If you cut from both sides...you can buck some pretty big wood with your 18" bar.

I agree...finding a .325 bar over 20" will be tough.

The obvious answer for your question #2 is to buy your saw a larger saw. I recently bought a well used, runner 038 mag for a hundred bucks. I understand, good deals on larger saws are not always available.

While you wait...how big is the stuff you are occasionally bucking? If you cut from both sides...you can buck some pretty big wood with your 18" bar.

It's very rare for me to absolutely need a larger bar, I can "get by" with an 18 or 20" bar, but I like having multiple saws and am looking at it more as a might-as-well situation. This 290 is sort of a rebuild fun saw, will likely end up with a 390 P&C

A bar with a part number beginning with 3002 will not fit that saw. I believe 3002 is the code for large mount bars that fit the 088/880 saws.

25" .325 with skip would be a pretty oddball setup. Just guessing, but I would bet the only way to achieve it would be by buying a 3/8 bar and swapping tips.

3/8 would be better if you are gonna end up with more displacement, and it'll open up the option of 25" bars. Personally I think that's an 18-20" bar saw, but if you want to use a 25" on occasion the 390 version will do it.

290 really struggles over 20", just the added drag pulls them down and makes spin-up audibly sluggish. Finding D025 mount bars in 24" lengths in .325 is also difficult.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I'll stick with the 18" bar. I'm still curious of the difference between the current 3003 008 6817 vs alternate 3003 812 7017

Thanks guys. I'll stick with the 18" bar. I'm still curious of the difference between the current 3003 008 6817 vs alternate 3003 812 7017

They seem to have identical specs. Both are laminated E bars, not solid ES bars. Both have the same gauge, pitch, and DL count. Without seeing pictures of both, my best guess is that one says FARM BOSS on it and the other doesn't.

A .325 24 inch bar is gonna be hard to come by for sure. Can’t order any at my shop from Husqvarna or Stihl. A old 359 came in a year or so ago for a tune up and it had a .325 24 inch bar, that’s the only one I have seen for years and years.

I was gonna guess FB on one and Stihl on the other.

Oregon may have a bar that meets your needs, but honestly that would make for a miserably lifeless saw to run, even with skip. I’d rather have a sharp fast scalpel of a saw and have to cut from both sides and plunge versus a 290/24” trying to do the same work.

Having owned one of those saws earlier in my saw journey, and having hung a .325/20” on it at the time, knowing what I know now I would hang a .325/16” on a that saw model and instead focus on learning to cut better and sharpen better.

i just finished putting a 20" 3/8 bar/chain/sprocket on my 290, it will pull that chain through hard wood ok tuned with a muff mod, the problem is a older bar oiler barely puts out enough oil for the wider/longer bar/chain combo. The clutch cover with removeable sprocket is the key, swap the sprocket to swap bar/chain from 3/8 to .325 quickly..try the 7 tooth sprocket with the .325 for extra speed. Try the .325 for felling and cutting big rounds then switch to the longer bar for limbing to help save our back, I would not try to noodle using the longer bar with 3/8 chain until swapping the bigger piston/jug in. There are bar chain combos 20" in .325 too and seems to be the most popular choice for these saws but the 18" with 7 tooth really shines.

It currently has an 18" 3003 008 6817, which appears to be a standard Rollamatic E
There are also references to 18" 3003 812 7017, which also appears to be a standard Rollamatic E

Long term I would like for this saw to have a 25" bar. I know that's too long, but it's only for occasional use bucking. It currently has a standard style 8 tooth sprocket

1 - Is there a .325 25" bar/chain option for this saw? I am only seeing 3/8 in that size
I dont think the oiler would have the output for a 24" bar .

i just finished putting a 20" 3/8 bar/chain/sprocket on my 290, it will pull that chain through hard wood ok tuned with a muff mod, the problem is a older bar oiler barely puts out enough oil for the wider/longer bar/chain combo. The clutch cover with removeable sprocket is the key, swap the sprocket to swap bar/chain from 3/8 to .325 quickly..try the 7 tooth sprocket with the .325 for extra speed. Try the .325 for felling and cutting big rounds then switch to the longer bar for limbing to help save our back, I would not try to noodle using the longer bar with 3/8 chain until swapping the bigger piston/jug in. There are bar chain combos 20" in .325 too and seems to be the most popular choice for these saws but the 18" with 7 tooth really shines.
I agree switch over to the 3 /8 0.50 I do believe that’s a spur sprocket clutch drum I don’t know if they make a drum in a rim sprocket? 20 inch bar is about the sweet spot for the MS 290 but, here’s the rub if you switch over to 3/8 You can now get a full skip chain for that less teeth to pull through the wood and faster plus less sharpening of the teeth

I believe the 812 7017 would have "Farm Boss" or "Wood Boss" imprinted on it. No other difference.

I've got an 029 that's got .325 20 inches and it barely has power for that, that's retuned with a muffler mod, plus it's heavier than my 361. Boat anchor

I've got an 029 that's got .325 20 inches and it barely has power for that, that's retuned with a muffler mod, plus it's heavier than my 361. Boat anchor
Thats because its designed to run a 16" bar, build it into a 390 and stick a pop up piston in it then throw a 044 carb on it and it will pull that 20" bar like a champ and will pull a 20" 3/8 with skip on it pretty decently. And yes a drum/sprocket setup is offered to run 3/8" or .325. Here is the one I built last year on its second tank of gas, It kept getting stronger requiring H needle adjustments until the 8th tank, Its running a 20" .325 on a 20" diameter red oak and that chain needed the rakers knocked down a hair. start the vid around 2:30. Thank you again for that axe woodslasher!

Latest posts

Back