which super split

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some reason Paul said he doesn't like to make the SE and he tries to talk people into the HD. He did talk me out of SE and I wish he didn't. He could not say much when I ordered the SE and I already had the HD and wanted more power. I should have just gotten the gear reduction motor on Ebay and put it on the HD. Would have been cheaper. But now I know the real differences in HD vs SE.

Still want to mod mine even more. We have been working on a plan to change the lever system by adding a foot pedal while also keeping the engagement lever. I am 5' 4" tall and the engagement lever is in a odd spot for me. So far I have added a receiver hitch and log lift to my SE.

A few more pictures showing the much needed mods. The lift can be put on any super split. It is made in Illinois by split second log splitter a copy of the super split. There is a thread for their splitter on AS

cd892d856385477e49d55ec0e29b7943.jpg

0e8af160f475be60d1dc553b754253ff.jpg

17c13ed850c24d7c357be3dd2e2106eb.jpg

Good stuff Sam!

If I did a lot of stringy, giant, crotchity wood I'd likely get a SE,
but I don't & my J model just puts a huge smile on my face every time I use it. :D

correct sandhill his website needs seriuos help,
sam a foot operation would be sweet to see,
also the pics with all that wood on the lift,how hard was it to get it to pivot up wit that load?
reason i ask is i think i'm pretty tough(just ask me) but ,dont have alot of a$$ behind me for weight for leverage

The handle is pretty long so lots of leverage to lift the logs. Plus it is ratcheting so you can stop partway and get a better push or pull. I pull halfway then push the rest of the way.

sam-tip: Check out Logrite's wood processor. The handle position is modified and may be of interest for generating ideas. Yes, Paul talked me out of the SE also, saying it is not necessary. He was right, it is not. More information at the time would have been nice. I made my choice based on that, everyone else being happy with what they have, and, a thousand dollars difference is a thousand bucks.

sam-tip: Check out Logrite's wood processor. The handle position is modified and may be of interest for generating ideas. Yes, Paul talked me out of the SE also, saying it is not necessary. He was right, it is not. More information at the time would have been nice. I made my choice based on that, everyone else being happy with what they have, and, a thousand dollars difference is a thousand bucks.

Thanks I forgot about that model. I don't think they make it anymore. But good information. I thought about doing something like that but putting it in the front. But the logs would get in the way. With our foot pedal plan I could run everything underneath and not change the cover and still be able to use the existing lever.

Let's put it this way then:
Are you not at liberty to disclose what you paid?

If you don't answer this question, that's what we'll assume. It's an impression I've held for some time and would really like to be incorrect in this case.

I was just splitting some big stuff yesterday and thinking of how nice a log lift would be on my SS. Looks like I might have some welding to do…

I went down to visit Paul before making a decision on SS. Talked to him, told him how much wood I split. I was thinking the HD but he said there was no need for me to go with that model, said the J model would do just fine. I split between 10-20 cord a year.

this thread was very helpful, hopefully answered others questions too, being that the ss website is so vague.
suprising that paul talks everyone out of a heavier model though? seems like he needs to drop the base model and only offer the other 2

this thread was very helpful, hopefully answered others questions too, being that the ss website is so vague.
suprising that paul talks everyone out of a heavier model though? seems like he needs to drop the base model and only offer the other 2

Paul is about as straight a shooter as there is. He builds the machines and if you buy one he remembers it...call him back in a few years and you'll find out. The reality of these Machines is they are way over built...they just don't look like it because we as Americans are used to big honking hydro tonnage smashing splitters. He is honest in his assessment of your anticipated usage and will steer you away from too expensive of a machine. Clearly NOT a salesman. Trust me I know 'Sales'. If you want a bigger SS then you need to lie to him and tell him you split like 2-300 cords a year and he'll sell you a 'bigger' machine.

He just doesn't come from the 'webpage' Sales team.

What ever questions you have just ask us users and find the nearest member with one and go run one. Heck go see Paul in Mass himself. Go see if Mr. Speeco or Mr. Timberwolf answer the phone when you call....

Why drop the base (J) model? He sells more of that model by far than the others.
It's all most folks need and works great for me...

I know this is a old thread. I just got a Easton made 22-28. My wife isn't too crazy about the size of it. She gave me to go ahead to get a SuperSplit. Anyone close to Charlotte NC have one. I would really like to see one in action before I pull the trigger on another splitter>

Kodiakjoey:
You should try one if possible. They are impressive for splitting.
I have run, honestly, hundreds of 4' x 4' x 8' (just to be clear) cords through this SS-HD. Three to four hundred. Eighty cord last year, 2020.
There are drawbacks also to consider.
The biggy is towing. So depending on your situation it may or may not work for you.
Road towing is out completely.
They are also top heavy.
I tipped mine over two weeks ago...towing it. I tow it with a quad in the wood lot. First time in seven years, and very little damage. Dented fuel tank on the Honda, and oil soaked the air filter. Also pushed in the muffler guard. I actually tipped it over on the muffler, then rigged it wrong and tipped it over on the other side. Took two hours to clear the cylinder of oil enough to start it. Had the plug out multiple, multiple times, and a small puff of starting fluid. Operator error of course.
That slopped area is filled and flat.
I switched engines and continued to use it. The Honda parts came late yesterday. I did not order a replacement tank.
Mine is also modified, which I would recommend to any SuperSplit owner, for ease of use.
If you work as a team, one loading, the other splitting, I would not recommend a kinetic splitter. It is a single operator unit for safety reasons.
A big plus however, is that there is lots of room to operate it from either side, unlike many splitters.
There must be someone close to you that has one to try. Call SuperSplit and ask. I'm guessing most owners would be happy to show theirs off and let you run it.
IMG_0240.jpgIMG_5149.jpgIMG_5152.jpgIMG_5153.jpgIMG_3657.jpg

SC is spot on as usual. However, just to clarify - the SS is a one operator machine but to utilize it most efficiently you need 2-3 people if you are stacking the wood. If you have all your rounds within a few feet of the SS, then you will need 1-2 people pulling splits off the table to stack in order to keep up. If you are splitting into a pile or on to a conveyor then obviously one guy is just fine.

Im hoping I find someone close so I can see one in person before I buy one The mods you have made look great. The wagon style pull is awesome. I will definitely do that if get one.
W
ait time is 10 weeks.

Back