Which & Why? MS260 vs 51002 vs 346XP vs NE 346XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would you choose and why?

• Total voters
Dayummmmmmmm

The poll on these saws are pretty close. I felt certain it was a out with the old and in with the new. I didn't think the 026/260 would come close as close as it did. Think I'll make it even closer. Fact is you can take a Stihl man and he'll try the others but you cannot take the Stihl out of the Stihl man such as me. Team Stihl bleeds orange and white and nothing will ever change it.

The 260 will finally be laid to rest this year after a remarkable run of around 20 years. Its been a very good seller since day one. I talked to one of my buddies at Stihl about the sales of the 260 and he said its always sold very well. I getem in the shop all the time looking like they been dueling with a tank. Most times is a new bar , chain and sprocket and out the door it goes. Speed in the cut will never outshine the longivity a saw lasts, thats where the real legends are made..

The poll on these saws are pretty close. I felt certain it was a out with the old and in with the new. I didn't think the 026/260 would come close as close as it did. Think I'll make it even closer. Fact is you can take a Stihl man and he'll try the others but you cannot take the Stihl out of the Stihl man such as me. Team Stihl bleeds orange and white and nothing will ever change it.

The 260 will finally be laid to rest this year after a remarkable run of around 20 years. Its been a very good seller since day one. I talked to one of my buddies at Stihl about the sales of the 260 and he said its always sold very well. I getem in the shop all the time looking like they been dueling with a tank. Most times is a new bar , chain and sprocket and out the door it goes. Speed in the cut will never outshine the longivity a saw lasts, thats where the real legends are made..

:agree2: :agree2: Yep.

Out of the saws listed i only have the 026 and as such i can only comment on it.
It came into my posession as a complete basket case. It had a hard life and i nearly junked it but i heard it was a worthwhile saw so i persevered.
New main bearings, piston and rings, oil pump and a few other minor items and its like a new saw.
A mate who has run a few saws commented that with the right skills the saw has an infinate lifespan and even in its twilight years its been brought back from the dead and cuts like new with years ahead of it.
Not many things that can be judged in such terms, and its garnered a lot of respect in the brand from me. I would buy another stihl without hesitation, probably new in future. I know that however bad it gets the unit is worth rebuilding.

the 5100 sucks. I bought one back in september, been at the dealer since november and they will not pay for a piston and cyl. still waiting on the dealer to call me.

I chose 346NE because there was no option for my preferred saw Jred 2153. I own both an 026 and the the 2153 I got from Spike60 this year. There is a world of difference between the saws. The 026 stays home most days when cutting firewood.

the 5100 sucks. I bought one back in september, been at the dealer since november and they will not pay for a piston and cyl. still waiting on the dealer to call me.

I shouldn't even bother with a response to this post but if you bought your 5100 in Sept. and smoked it by Nov....It's pretty obvious it was not tuned properly (way lean) and that doesn't mean the 5100 sucks.....What that means is your dealer SUCKS and that becomes even more apparent by his lack of getting that saw fixed for you under warranty!.....I had a Stihl dealer before that was just as inept.

I'm beginning to think you dont like Huskys? hmm

I just cant stand Huskys when they turn so many different colors of orange....

The value drops like a rock on them ....

I just sold a two year old 395 and had all I could do to get 375.00 for it .... Saw was in great shape except it was ugly from all the different shade of orange .....

If you can come up with a cure for that ,I might like them better....

I only have 15 Huskys .....My Jreds look better ...

I shouldn't even bother with a response to this post but if you bought your 5100 in Sept. and smoked it by Nov....It's pretty obvious it was not tuned properly (way lean) and that doesn't mean the 5100 sucks.....What that means is your dealer SUCKS and that becomes even more apparent by his lack of getting that saw fixed for you under warranty!.....I had a Stihl dealer before that was just as inept.

your right about one thing, you shouldn't have responded. bad dealer? could be a stupid op.

your right about one thing, you shouldn't have responded. bad dealer? could be a stupid op.

Yep, could have been the OP too.....I was trying not to be so blunt as to imply that, right off. ;)

I just cant stand Huskys when they turn so many different colors of orange....

The value drops like a rock on them ....

I just sold a two year old 395 and had all I could do to get 375.00 for it .... Saw was in great shape except it was ugly from all the different shade of orange .....

If you can come up with a cure for that ,I might like them better....

I only have 15 Huskys .....My Jreds look better ...

Next time youi have a 395XP for sale just keep me in mind. The orange goes well with my Kubota. :)

Back