Which wood dries the fastest??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wood primarily dries from the ends so if you cut your wood short it will dry much quicker. Short wood is a pain to stack but if you need to force dry some that is something that helps. Another thing is if you are felling trees that have leaves on them and are in a situation to do it, leave the tree intact until the leaves draw the moisture out of it. Once they are dry and crunchy, then limb it up and buck it. This doesn't dry the wood but does remove a lot of the moisture. Splitting the wood small of course helps too.

Best solution, find some dead stuff to cut up.

Ash and tulip or yellow poplar dry about the fastest.

anything standing dead with the bark loose and falling off will be drier than green until you get down close to the base.

Dead pine is excellent split small and stacked and kept covered, you can add some under any oak you have and really gets it going.

Yes you can use lumber scraps, regular white wood, dont use pressure treated.

When you split your rounds, go around the outside first and split off the smallest amount you can just to take the bark off. This slab wood will now actually dry out well and be burnabble later, and all the other splits will dry faster. The surfaces on regular sized split wood with the bark on them are always wetter under that bark.

If you are trying to get ahead, say two years, the stuff for next year split a little small, the stuff for two years out and beyond, split normal sized, whatever you like.

Oak burns OK at one summer drying, but two summers drying makes it *real* nice.

What does ASH look like? and do we have it in Kentucky?

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/96057.htm in the stickies, tree identification

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/198800.htm dang zillion pics there, fun read too

Your best bet is find a member close to you and ask nicely if you can go on a woods walk with them. IDing trees in the winter is harder than in the summer when the leaves are out.

In regards to kindlin; look to see if there are any millwork shops around. i hooked up with a local guy here and he provides trailer loads of rips of some really nice 1" or so kiln dried oak and maple and whatever else he is milling.
They used to grind it all up and sell the chips to the local duck and chicken farms for ground cover but now; that costs too much money [?]
I stopped by the shop and asked the owner how/if he has any rips he has and if he was doing anything with them; now he has a dedicated pile just for me to take. If his guys are not too busy they will even forklift stuff on my trailer.

If your wood gets full sun and wind exposure, you will have no problem burning that oak next winter.

What does ASH look like? and do we have it in Kentucky?

I'm in Ohio Jason, We have tons of Ash. At least till the EAB gets it all.:( So I'm sure it is in Ky. also. Ash is great firewood. Its just about all I cut and burn for the last several years. It does dry quickly when split. I have never tried burning it "green" right from the woods to the furnace, but if I had to, I wouldn't hesitate. I will post some pics of some Ash I been cutting & heating with. Its pretty easy to spot this time of year, especially trees that the EAB has been into.

000_0010.jpg

4200Ash016.jpg

Woodcutting007-1.jpg

AshGTG001.jpg

SpeecoSplitmaster018-1.jpg

SpeecoSplitmaster020.jpg

Gregg,

I'm in Ohio Jason, We have tons of Ash. At least till the EAB gets it all.:( So I'm sure it is in Ky. also. Ash is great firewood. Its just about all I cut and burn for the last several years. It does dry quickly when split. I have never tried burning it "green" right from the woods to the furnace, but if I had to, I wouldn't hesitate. I will post some pics of some Ash I been cutting & heating with. Its pretty easy to spot this time of year, especially trees that the EAB has been into.

000_0010.jpg

4200Ash016.jpg

Woodcutting007-1.jpg

AshGTG001.jpg

SpeecoSplitmaster018-1.jpg

SpeecoSplitmaster020.jpg

Gregg,

All those pictures of that ash are making me drool! LOL

Silver maple IMO is the fastest usefull BTU firewood to dry.
Split then with good sun and wind around 90 days.

Ash is the cats ass... Lots of flame and clean burning. Can't beat a fireplace fire of white ash with some white oak mixed in:kilt::cheers: add some cold beer and grilled back straps now your livin large kids;).

Right now I'm burning some ash I only split 3 weeks ago
I know it, I am an ASHHOLE!!!

Is ash and poplar the same thing?

No, they arent, but the bark looks similar. The tulip or yellow poplar I mean. Both are usually very straight grained and easy to split. Ash right away, the poplar, let it sit in the round until it checks or cracks a little, then pop it. They compliment each other nicely in the stack, the poplar dries a little lighter and is good for in the morning to get the fire going good and for early fall/late spring burning. I get a lot of the tulip poplar here because we have so much, but just some ash. Ash is my favorite all around firewood. Cuts easy, splits easy, comes half seasoned and burns well. Not quite as good as oak or hickory, but plenty good enough!

Ash, silver and red maple, tulip poplar and sycamore dry and season faster than denser woods. We've currently burning red maple that was split and stacked 9 months ago. It's burning fine, no smoke or smoldering. :)

Red oak and gum take a bit longer to season. If it's getting full sunlight and air movement, it should be OK to burn a year after splitting and stacking.

Some tips for speeding your drying or seasoning time:

Stack location. Stack your splits out in the open where they'll get exposure to full sunlight and air movement. If there are trees in the vicinity, choose a location where trees won't shade the wood pile in summer. Never stack green splits against a solid fence or a building. Structures block air movement.

Stacking. For best results, go with single rows, or dual rows loosely stacked with a couple feet separating them. Stacks should be isolated from the ground. For even faster drying, use cross stacking. Cross stacking takes up more space but it gets better air flow.

Splits. Make your splits smaller. Not necessarily shorter, just smaller. You may have to feed the stove more often but they'll dry faster this way.

Debark. Tree bark holds in moisture and lots of it. If you remove the bark from your splits they'll dry sooner. Not everyone does this but it helps. Bark typically peels off well-seasoned splits on its own anyway.

Cover. Cover the stacks only a few weeks before you'll be burning them. Never cover the sides.

ash or poplar

Here in Ky Poplar is plentiful but Ash is more rare. Distinguishing between the two is difficult judging by the bark only. Do a search and learn the difference between the leaves and soon as the leaves come out in Spring it will be easy to tell the difference. Both species cut and SPLIT in early spring will be dry to burn by fall. June,July and August in So.Ky. will dry wood unbelievably fast.

No one has recommended hedge (osage orange). I think ky has some hedge but not sure. It doesn't have much moisture and dries fast. I have cut some around New Years and burned it mid to late Feb.

Where I'm at we have alot of Oregon White Ash.
Oregon Ash « All About Firewood
Both Ash and Cotton Wood grow on the same moist wet soil but Ash is a dry wood and Cotton Wood is almost saturated with water. Our Western Red Cedar and Alder also thrive on the same soil.
Ash is by far the fastest drying wood if splitted.
I stacked some 2-4 inch diameter Ash branch cuts with the splits last spring.
As of now the splits burn fine but the branch cuts are sizzling at the ends.

Latest posts

Back