Which would you rather have for a big saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I need to make a choice, I have two big saws and need to liquidate one to raise some cash. Tree work is very slow, and I don't really need two saws this size anyway.

#1, my old favorite, the Husqvarna 3120xp. It is an older unit, new in 1996. It starts great, runs great, and I have two bars for it: a 36" and a 50", both in .404. This saw just screams through wood.

#2. A pristine nearly new Stihl 088 with a 48" bar, .404 pitch chain.

If you are a strictly Stihl or Husqvarna enthusiast, please let me know before you pick on the one that is not your favorite. Myself, I am just a little partial to the Husqys, I think they last longer and turn a bit faster. Except, of course, for the 200T.

So long as the 3120 isn't too beat up I'd be going that way. I'm a bit of a stihl head, but there are in my mind 2 saws that husky is best in class; 3120 and 346xp. The 880 is a bum saw in my opinion, and my lineup is 90% stihl. If it was me I'd be sending that 3120 to randy for a full rebuild and port work. He did a 660 for me last year which started out used and it's a very strong saw. A lot of ported saws end up stronger only at WOT but this one is very strong in the mid range also, which makes it very usable driving bigger bars.

I need to make a choice, I have two big saws and need to liquidate one to raise some cash. Tree work is very slow, and I don't really need two saws this size anyway.

#1, my old favorite, the Husqvarna 3120xp. It is an older unit, new in 1996. It starts great, runs great, and I have two bars for it: a 36" and a 50", both in .404. This saw just screams through wood.

#2. A pristine nearly new Stihl 088 with a 48" bar, .404 pitch chain.

If you are a strictly Stihl or Husqvarna enthusiast, please let me know before you pick on the one that is not your favorite. Myself, I am just a little partial to the Husqys, I think they last longer and turn a bit faster. Except, of course, for the 200T.

Reread your post, it's obvious, keep the Husky, more versatile saw even besides your partiality to it. 880 will bring more anyway, and that's the goal.

Hope work picks up for you, were all struggling, no one has money anymore- unless your, well I'll stop there.

3120's sell really well on eBay (at least I can never afford one). So do 088's. I'd sell whichever is in better condition if you need the money

I'd sell the 088, I'm a Stihl guy, but those 3120's are bad ass saws. May get more coing out of da purty new one.

Thank you gentlemen...the Husqy stays!

As was pointed out, I do have my preference. It is rather encouraging to hear so many folks with the same perspective. I expected a bunch of Stihl guys to jump on and vote their preference.

I'm not so sure about a rebuild or any fancy building up of the 3120. That is a pretty vicious saw as it comes from the factory. I don't think I would benefit materially from any additional expense on it since it is already the king of my fleet of saws.

The king only comes out occasionally to demonstrate why it holds the scepter. 50" of .404 full comp chain, and it just screams through a big log. Once I use up the full comp, I am going to skip tooth. It royally sucks to sharpen a stump chain that long. Servicing the king is a *****.

I'd suggest keeping the more reliable saw, whatever that may be. Sadly, how much are you really going to get for a used saw?
I agree with this. You own the saw for the purpose of making money into the future, right? Which is going to make you the most money in the future...forget about which is going to make you the most to sell now. Once you start down that road, you might as well liquidate everything you own because that would give you the most money now. Granted, you need just a little liquidity now, nothing wrong with that...but if you are going to sell a $2000 saw for $1000 then turn around and buy a $2000 saw in a year or two, you'd be better off at a payday lender!

If you think they are both going to run equally well for the next several years (which seems to be the popular opinion), then I'd agree with others: Sell the Stihl because it is more cash now. If you think you are going to need to put a bunch of money in the 3120 to keep it going and worse...have down time because it is in the shop for maintenance, sell that one now.

Given that it sounds like you do not pull out the big guns too often, I'm assuming I am just reaffirming your opinion to keep the Husqvarna...just trying to help think through it from all angles.

I would possibly be interested in the 48" bar for the stihl if you choose to sell that one and don't mind selling the bar separate.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Boss has an 088, don't know how different it is to the 880 but I like it, big heavy power b#####, though I don't use it much since I got my Monkeymind 660. Never tried the husky

I'm partial to the 3120, I think it's a little more torquey and balanced better, plus I like the external oiler for that extra shot when pulling big bars.

Have you ran a 395xp? You might could sell both of them and get a 395 they won't disappoint with a 42 inch bar

I would never consider getting rid of my 3120 so I could step down to a smaller saw.

The purpose of a big saw is to make big cuts. While a 395XP might not disappoint with a 42 inch bar, my 3120XP outperforms with a 50 inch bar.

I might have a different opinion if I was required to climb a tree with that 3120 hanging from my belt, but I still have a Stihl 660 and 460 to do that with. I seriously question if I will ever be seen again climbing a tree with a saw that big. I only did it a few times, and that was when I was in better shape. That big saw is really hard to handle when you are on spurs and buckstrap. When you lean out to set the bar, you need to blip the throttle to keep the chain in the groove prior to putting it on the trunk. That is about the same time that your lanyard starts slipping sideways due to your reaching position and the unbalanced weight. Big saws get heavy real quick in that scenario.

It'd take a really strong man to climb with a 3120 and 50 inch bar. I see what your saying too.

Back