White Gas?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
billyboy

billyboy

ArboristSite Operative
Read a post on a you tube the other day. Guy said he was using white gas in his small engine 2 strokes. Any body here do that or have some thoughts on it. Last I bought was 4or 5 years ago and it was about 13-14$/ gal . It was for my Coleman’s.

camel2019

camel2019

ArboristSite Guru
My family had an Amoco station in the mid 70s. The Premium was lead free and many called it "white Gas". I and others used it in Coleman lanterns with no problem - it was lead free. Octane was at least 100 as I recall. That being said, I would not recommend using real Coleman fuel in an engine.
Some Colman stoves and lanterns can use gasoline.

Abbeville TSI

Abbeville TSI

ArboristSite Operative
My family had an Amoco station in the mid 70s. The Premium was lead free and many called it "white Gas". I and others used it in Coleman lanterns with no problem - it was lead free. Octane was at least 100 as I recall. That being said, I would not recommend using real Coleman fuel in an engine.
We had an Amoco station here "back in the day" that sold "white gas". It was real good fuel, and wouldn't go bad in small engine fuel tanks/storage cans over the winter.
But sadly it wouldn't turn the tailpipes on your car white like leaded fuel would. That was the mark of a good tune back then.

Some Colman stoves and lanterns can use gasoline.
Actually most can, at least for awhile anyway, until their thin generators clog from all the additives in gasoline. The dedicated duel fuel varieties of Coleman stove and lanterns use a fatter generator to prolong the eventual necessary cleaning of the generator. OM617YOTA is correct with the very low octane rating of Coleman fuel at around 50. NFS (not for saws)

OM617YOTA

OM617YOTA

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I ran normal E10 pump gas in my Coleman gear for years. Had to run the tip cleaner more often, but never had an issue. Just like small engines, I never stored my stuff on E10 pump gas. Saved some $$$ when I'd be out for awhile and burning gallons of the stuff.

Definitely a case of "don't be like me". Don't run pump gas in your white gas appliances, especially in equipment with generators which can't be cleaned and aren't replaceable.

I don't run E10 in my small engines anymore, either.

Captain Bruce
You struck a match and put it to a lantern full of gasoline? Thats nuts!

northmanlogging
Regular gasoline works fine in colman stoves, and lanterns, burns a little dirtier, and you shouldn't leave it in the tank for very long, but it works just fine, not anymore dangerous then the "white gas" or "Colman Fuel" Hell that stuff is way more dangerous then regular gasoline, burns hotter and lights easier.
If you read the manual on a colman stove or lantern it will say you can use pump gas, but that it will perform better with dedicated stove fuel, experience proves that to be true.

using it in a combustion engine is unwise at best, best case it fouls a plug, worst case bits of cylinder and piston are stuck in places they don't belong.

KASH

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
We ran a remote fishing resort for 49 years before we got Hydro Coleman lanterns were used.We had problems with the spark plugs getting fouled from lead deposits in leaded gas so we bought marine gas which was gasoline with no lead it was whiter in color so everyone called it white gas.
All the Coleman lanterns and stoves were fueled with it I use regular pump gas in my coleman products in my trapping cabins.
The biggest problems came at our outpost cabins if a guide was not with them customers would fill the lanterns with 25-1 outboard mix this would slowly plug the generators .The T44 generators in the old wide shade lanterns were the worst for plugging.
Kash

bwalker
White Gas is a petroleum naphtha product. Typically has an octane rating of 50-55. It does not contain the additives found in gasoline (aromatics, MTBE, etc.) However, small amounts of benzene may be present in White Gas.

I would NOT run White Gas in an internal combustion engine.

JQ
Gasoline hasn't contained mtbe in decades. Aromatics are presnt, but at miniscule levels

HansFranz

HansFranz

ArboristSite Guru

I ran Coleman lanterns for many years on nothing but unleaded gasoline. Works fine, and never had an issue.

That said, "white gas" is not gasoline -- it's naphtha, as Johnny Quest said, and it's sold as Coleman fuel (and Zippo lighter fluid).

Latest posts