White Oak Slabs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any plans for the slabs? They look nice!
I might sell the slabs from the 8 foot log. Had a guy offer me 1,000 bucks for them. $3.50bdft isn't too bad for green white oak I guess? I hate to get rid of them honestly but I need cash and have amassed about 2,000bdft+ of spalted maple, oak and pecan slabs/cookies this spring. I milled a 6.5 footer from the same tree today. If I sell the other I'll hang on to this and put it in the kiln I'm building this summer. Probably sell some kiln dried and make some tables, shelves, mantles etc too.

Man, those are beautiful!
All the white oak around here get sold for bourbon barrel staves.

I might sell the slabs from the 8 foot log. Had a guy offer me 1,000 bucks for them. $3.50bdft isn't too bad for green white oak I guess? I hate to get rid of them honestly but I need cash and have amassed about 2,000bdft+ of spalted maple, oak and pecan slabs/cookies this spring. I milled a 6.5 footer from the same tree today. If I sell the other I'll hang on to this and put it in the kiln I'm building this summer. Probably sell some kiln dried and make some tables, shelves, mantles etc too.
$3.50/BF isn't is good for green lumber, I think. Refresh my memory, is that CSMed? If so, pretty smooth finish.

Really nice! What’s in that first picture to the left? Looks like a grate built into a board.
Tailgate protector?
Yep, just a tailgate. Odd orientation on the pic lol.
$3.50/BF isn't is good for green lumber, I think. Refresh my memory, is that CSMed? If so, pretty smooth finish.
If it were dimensional 4/4 or 6/4 stuff under 12" wide yeah, it would be way overpriced. Seems to be about the going rate for green white oak slabs in my area around that size and quality, the few listings I can find anyway. I feel like these would easily pull $8-10 per bf once dried. So there's profit there even for just someone that wants to dry and resell in a couple years. Yes, chainsaw milled. Actually wasn't some of my best finishing, had dirty bark that was dulling my chains.

Yep, just a tailgate. Odd orientation on the pic lol.

If it were dimensional 4/4 or 6/4 stuff under 12" wide yeah, it would be way overpriced. Seems to be about the going rate for green white oak slabs in my area around that size and quality, the few listings I can find anyway. I feel like these would easily pull $8-10 per bf once dried. So there's profit there even for just someone that wants to dry and resell in a couple years. Yes, chainsaw milled. Actually wasn't some of my best finishing, had dirty bark that was dulling my chains.
I must have missed it. How thick and wide are these boards you're letting go for $3.50/BF? Are you using a Pico setup like oh.. what's his name does?

I must have missed it. How thick and wide are these boards you're letting go for $3.50/BF? Are you using a Pico setup like oh.. what's his name does?
Oh I thought I put in the OP lol, one log was 6' the other 8'. Slabs range from 20"-28" wide. Most are cut 10/4" but I cut a few 8/4 and one 12/4 out of the 6 footer. No Pico/LP chain. Regular old 3/8 .063 semi chisel full comp ripping chain. Archer brand at that! I milled the two closest ones.

852876-e4493a43963e700cb8efa38cd78f4d49.jpg

Oh I thought I put in the OP lol, one log was 6' the other 8'. They range from 20"-28" wide. Most are cut 10/4" but I cut a few 8/4 and one 12/4 out of the 6 footer. No Pico/LP chain. Regular old 3/8 .063 semi chisel full comp ripping chain. Archer brand at that! I milled the two closest ones.

View attachment 1171695
OK, for wide boards, that is cheap.

If he offered 3.50 counter offer with 5 to see if he comes up some

Latest posts

Back