White Oak "Tatters"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fmueller

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Had the District Forester come out for a look at my Oak Wilt and he said he also saw signs of the White Oaks having "tatters". Said it was a relatively new problem ( last 10-15 years). Never heard of it. Anybody got experience with it?

Google got me this from IA:

"Newly emerged leaves of affected trees will have reduced interveinal tissues, which give the leaves a lacy or tattered appearance. Trees will often reflush with new leaves in 2 to 3 weeks. This new flush of leaves can reduce a trees stored energy reserves. Repeated tattering could make a trees more susceptible to attacks from other insect and disease pathogens. It is theorized that oak tatters is caused by herbicide drift."

In a low-ag area, I wonder if I will be seeing tatters?

MM,

That is one theory of the MN DNR.

If there is an early spring heat wave that gets th buds opening a little ahead of schedule combined with a cold snap the fragile tissues are damaged.

I understand its a sysmptom. Of what- still seems to be unknown. Where these trees are located, it would seem highly unlikely that its from herbicide drift. As for pathogenic causes I would have thought that some college or government research group would have figured that out by now. It seems to lean more to environmental factors maybe something particular to midwest. (Methane gas from hogs and pigs? ) Just speculating. I lost a nice White Oak last summer and did'nt realize what caused it. It was peppered with wood pecker holes and bugs so I thought the beetles got it. But looking back it probably had the tatters and got weakened and opened up to attack to everything else. First the Oak Wilt, now the Tatters. Oaks sure seem to have a tough time of it around here.

The tree is located in a 5 acre wood lot. There isn't anything around to disturb the root system except a small lane bout 25' away which rarely gets used. No signs of any wildlife doing any excavating or anything else so that seems to rule out the root zone. The tree is protected on all sides from acres of other trees is why I rule out herbicide drift. Doesn't look like Oak wilt cause the leaves have that lacey look to them, but can't find evidence of insects. Hope I don't have to start cutting White Oak firewood.

Slow death, got hickory, black cherry, redoak, plus the regular forest understory around it. The oaks in that area have'nt been affected by the wilt yet.They look to be in good shape, not stressed. There are two other white oaks in that pocket that are still alive and one has it got it. Leaves are dropping now so I suppose I see what happens in the spring.

Latest posts

Back